WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Very Bad Weather Last night

Last night the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, Pennsylvania, & all of trail in NJ got pounded with severe rain and lightening. It started after midnight and continued to the early morning. A very bad night for anyone that didn't use the shelters.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

typical july weather. great fun in a tent if you have it set up right

Images

We got some too here last night - it would have been a fun night up on the AT.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

It was the noise! I had loads of ground "earth rattling" strikes around the house all night, one of the backyard trees is missing (70ft) I can only surmise it fell over in the woods. I didn't get a wink of sleep
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

We here in N. Florida got hit really hard by thunderstorms last night ~1700 (5pm) and it lasted about an hour. Got caught out in it during my run. It's been pretty wet here in Florida lately.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Shelters aren't always the best thing either though. Rain with a driving wind can soak you. A good tent can work well. Best thing is to adjust your day and be at a hostel if you know bad weather is projected, but that's tough too. That's why I ask day hikers if they heard the weather forecast.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Last night the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, Pennsylvania, & all of trail in NJ got pounded with severe rain and lightening. It started after midnight and continued to the early morning. A very bad night for anyone that didn't use the shelters.

was in my hammock for 3 hours of it. testing out new JFB tarp worked great.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Registered User Fat Man Walking's Avatar
    Images

Well, guess that answers my questions about water between Bearwallow Gap and Waynesboro.

Heading out in the morning. I am about to explode!!!
    "Like the confluence of two streams, dreams & reality are joined, flowing as one. I know how lucky I am." - Cody GA-ME 2010

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    typical july weather. great fun in a tent if you have it set up right
    Agreed. I would love to have some good wind and rain if I had my North Face tent along with me.

I'm leaving for Franconia in 2 hours and sitting here in southern mass with tornado warnings, Thunderstorms just ripped us a new one some wicked street floods right now... should be a pleasant drive. Happy Rain Trails

Lost a couple of trees last night, One fell on my Suburban, no significant damage though.

Has anybody ever had the experience of setting up their tent or hammock, going to bed, and then waking up in the morning with a blow-down in the middle of their campsite?

When I assess places to camp, I tend to look up at the trees to evaluate their integrity....are there any widow-makers, does the tree look like a candidate to blow over, etc? Sometimes you don't have much choice and you just have to set up beside a dubious tree.... I don't much worry about bears, but I find the idea of a tree coming down on my hammock in the middle of the night is a bit worrisome.

Images

Those were some good storms the last few days, I sleep best during thunderstorms

I can't tell you how many times I've been close to a tree falling in the woods, it happens a lot based on my observations. It's a very legitimate safety concern, one which is often overlooked.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

A storm that hit June 10th while I was tenting on Silver Hill in CT was a life changing experience. Tenting in these types of storms is nerve racking, but I'm a stronger person because of it.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Kirby

I saw the news that New Hampshire had storms yesterday. I hope the hikers were hunkered down safe.

I was tenting near Kent and we got 4 inches of rain. It was the first time on the trail that my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 did not keep me dry. EVERYTHING got wet!

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    We here in N. Florida got hit really hard by thunderstorms last night ~1700 (5pm) and it lasted about an hour. Got caught out in it during my run. It's been pretty wet here in Florida lately.
    Damn, the rain just won't stop!!! I know I should be thankful we're not in a draught, but Damn, need a little sun, that's why I live in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Damn, the rain just won't stop!!! I know I should be thankful we're not in a draught, but Damn, need a little sun, that's why I live in Florida.
    Fooking rain!!!

It's surprising what a tent can stand. I got caught out in a hail storm in the Wind Rivers on my honeymoon back in the mid-80s. I put on a good front for my wife (we were 17.5 miles from the nearest human), but I was worried. The tent shed it without a complaint and I used the ice to cool a brook trout I'd just caught. It was neat, looking across South Fork Lakes at Lizard Head glacier, lying on our stomachs, with what looked like popcorn jumping up from the grass. OTOH, I've also spent some nights and days of terror...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++