WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default wind river range

I'm looking at making a 2-3 day trip to the wind river range in late August. Since I'm not familiar with the region and my guide book hasn't arrived yet, what should I be expecting to be in for?

Are the mosquitoes still bad in late August?

What are the temps that I should be prepared for? (I assume being ready to be comfy at 20* for sustained time will be enough, or is that over/underkill)?

What about rain, just the afternoon shower, or will I have a decent chance at seeing the flood gates open up?

Whats the bear situation like (pesky bears, or just stealth it and most likely won't have problems)?

How's the water situation?

Will I still have to deal with some snow, or should it be gone for the most part by then?

Any special gear (other than good camera) that I should bring?

You could do a loop from Big Sandy to Cirque of Towers over Texas Pass and back. No mossies or bears to speak of, snow should be gone, lots of water, maybe some rain. No special gear necessary.

like Sly said, there is an abundance of water from tons of lakes and rivers in the Winds

the mosquitos disappear after July (but they certainly suck during it)

snow should be gone

temps could get a bit brisk at higher elevations in late August but I really doubt it would be down to 20 degrees for an extended period of time

bears are just starting to get into the Winds so there shouldn't be many...I camped once at Big Sandy lake and there were actually bear boxes installed around the various campsite along the lake...don't know if this is replicated throughout the park

i'd prepare for those pesky summer thunderstorms that happen usually every afternoon
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You could do a loop from Big Sandy to Cirque of Towers over Texas Pass and back. No mossies or bears to speak of, snow should be gone, lots of water, maybe some rain. No special gear necessary.

Sounds like great advice. Cirque of the Towers can get relatively busy with climbers, but compared to the AT, it will feel quite isolated.

In the three summers I worked in the Winds, mosquito hatch was mid-June to later July. By late August, you should be fine.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I've been giving Wind River Range some thought myself. Any consideration need to given regarding altitude acclimation? I live in North Carolina.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Best range in the American Rockies IMO.

Cirque of the towers is beautiful. But, if you REALLY want something off the beaten path (with trails that are barely trails!), go to the Lawrence Basin in Arapaho-Shoshone Reservation Land. Expensive at $80 per person for a permit (ouch!), but cheaper than golf. And so worth it!

It is very isolated (due to location and price), but very beautiful. Something most people don't see.

From the Continental Divide:

I was on Mt. Roberts in this area as well...and the register was last signed in the 1970s!

More Photos:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...2_itemId=15627

I don't know what maps you ordered, but I do suggest the Earth Walk Press ones for the Winds (two series of maps) no matter what you do.
    http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/cats/earthwal.htm

Rain? It can be torrential downpours, or snow or sunny. All have happened to my friends and I ( photo is near Cirque of the Towers, 2003) in late Aug and early Sept.

As for temps..warm days (60s), cool nights (40s) generally speaking.

Water will not be a problem.

As for acclimating, spend a day or two in the Denver area (where you'll be flying in I imagine?), before heading up for the hike.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-23-2008 at 14:58. Reason: aclimation info
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    As for acclimating, spend a day or two in the Denver area (where you'll be flying in I imagine?), before heading up for the hike.
    For a hike in the Winds, you might want to consider flying into Salt Lake (cheapest and only about 3 hours to the southwestern Big Sandy trailhead) or Riverton for the Shoshone Res entrance. Jackson Hole would be closest of all and lands you at 7000 feet for acclimation, but it is fairly expensive both to fly in and stay.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Unfortunately I do not know how well my acclimation is going to work. I'm actually moving a friend to Seattle, then I figured that I couldn't pass this chance up. I'm going to be taking iron suppliments with the hope that it will help with the blood cells (along with stair running). Think that will be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    For a hike in the Winds, you might want to consider flying into Salt Lake (cheapest and only about 3 hours to the southwestern Big Sandy trailhead) or Riverton for the Shoshone Res entrance. Jackson Hole would be closest of all and lands you at 7000 feet for acclimation, but it is fairly expensive both to fly in and stay.
    What can I say, I'm too Colorado focused.

Same deal applies though, hang out for a day or two than head up.

SLC has the beautiful looking Wasatch range to gaze at...and plenty of jello too.

Jackson Hole would indeed be terribly $$$$ I would think.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Unfortunately I do not know how well my acclimation is going to work. I'm actually moving a friend to Seattle, then I figured that I couldn't pass this chance up. I'm going to be taking iron suppliments with the hope that it will help with the blood cells (along with stair running). Think that will be enough?
    Depends on how long of a drive it is I would think. But I am not a medical person.

Take it easy is my best advice..and stay hydrated!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    What can I say, I'm too Colorado focused.

Same deal applies though, hang out for a day or two than head up.

SLC has the beautiful looking Wasatch range to gaze at...and plenty of jello too.

Jackson Hole would indeed be terribly $$$$ I would think.

Yeah, I spent too much time meeting NOLS students and being homeless in that region. Jackson Hole was a good place to get temp work at $10 an hour for splitting firewood and groundskeeping, but I had to couch surf at the Teton Valley Branch in Driggs, Idaho to live. It was a 40-minute drive over Teton Pass to JH in good weather or a 2-day wait when there was snow.

Jackson Hole was a good place to get temp work at $10 an hour for splitting firewood and groundskeeping,

The curse of real mountain towns (as opposed to the plains city at the very EDGE of the mountains where I live).

You are either rich, or scraping by in odd ways. There are a few people doing middle class type jobs..but not many.

I have a good thru-hiker friend who lives in Crested Butte,CO. Has a master's degree. He paints homes and shovels snow off roofs to earn money. If he went to my neck of the woods or maybe even Durango, he'd get a so-called professional job. Crested Butte, however, is far more beautiful than where I live.

Everything is a trade off.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

I had a film of ice in my water bottle in the morning at the end of August in Yellowstone, which is lower than you'll likely be.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

If you're driving out there's free camping in Lander (3 nights at the town park), a really neat town. I'll be getting home this weekend and will be able to look at my maps to suggest the trails and route (loop) from Big Sandy to the Cirque.

On the way, check out the Merchantile in Atlantic City. The have tasty Rocky Mountain Oysters!

On the way, check out the Merchantile in Atlantic City. The have tasty Rocky Mountain Oysters!
    Personally I prefer calf fries with a little bit of ranch

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we'll be just west of you, in the lost river range. can't wait!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

If you're driving out there's free camping in Lander (3 nights at the town park), a really neat town. I'll be getting home this weekend and will be able to look at my maps to suggest the trails and route (loop) from Big Sandy to the Cirque.

==========================

I'll just add to Sly's post and say that if you ARE driving out there and need a place to stop and re-fuel or overnight ...we live in Laramie. About 4 hours or so east of Lander right off I-80. The door is always open.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I can personally say Slogger and BAT are great hosts!

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    we'll be just west of you, in the lost river range. can't wait!
    Cool, I'll actually be there as well for a day or so to see a friend who works there

Iflew into SLC about 10 years ago for around $300. It was $1000 to go to JH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++