WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default white mtn. tentsiteshelters

anyone ever stay at valley way tentsite .06 off trail at madison spring hut. or the perch shelter .09 off the trail at israel ridge path. any info on these sites would be appreciated. and if you chose one of these two which one. any info on gray knob or craig camp cabins thanks

"anyone ever stay at valley way tentsite .06 off trail at madison spring hut. or the perch shelter .09 off the trail at israel ridge path."
    I think you mean 0.6 mile and 0.9 mile, respectively.

Gray Knob (1.1 mile off A.T) is on par with any of the AMC huts and I've stayed there in winter. Crag Camp isn't winterized but it sits right on the edge of King Ravine giving you a fantastic view.

Stayed at the Perch once or twice, many many years ago. It's a good ways off the ridge, I remember that much.

Yes and yes. Years ago. For a time they closed the Valley Way site. I wasn't aware that it had reopened. Seemed a long way down from the hut and was very primitive. There was evidence of human mating at the site, but we were alone, in the summer, in a winter tent, in a hot, humid thunderstorm.

Crag Camp has a very small, dark, old and dirty (the few times I've been there) cabin with a few tent platforms. It's remote enough to not attract many partiers (unless they're hiking through on the AT . Grey Knob is nicer (enclosed with bunks), and, as previously stated, the nicest camp (maybe in the Presidentials), certainly in the immediate area, is The Perch.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

The walk to the Perch is great.

You may be dropping elevation some, but its all good in both directions.

Of course if its full you are sort of/kind of screwed unless you have a hammock or some energy reserve to make it to Gay Knob, which might also be full. Not much off trail camping in the area for a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I think you mean 0.6 mile and 0.9 mile, respectively.

Gray Knob (1.1 mile off A.T) is on par with any of the AMC huts and I've stayed there in winter. Crag Camp isn't winterized but it sits right on the edge of King Ravine giving you a fantastic view.
    thanks for correcting me,usually my girlfriends on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The walk to the Perch is great.

You may be dropping elevation some, but its all good in both directions.

Of course if its full you are sort of/kind of screwed unless you have a hammock or some energy reserve to make it to Gay Knob, which might also be full. Not much off trail camping in the area for a tent.
    i dropped off of mt. lafayette 1.1 miles to greenleaf hut and back up just for some free bread and lemonade. no problems.(actually,there was a problem. the bread and lemonade sucked) i went down to check out the hut too. is the trail down to the perch any steeper than that?

thanks to everyone

Tinker must not have been up to Crag camp in several years. It was replaced several years ago with a very nice cabin with views down into kings ravine and the surrounding area. It is now the "crown jewel" of the RMC camps. Gray Knob is warmer in the winter and doesnt have a view. Note that all of the RMC sites have no reservations and there is a fee to stay (no options for work for stay). The perch is an open lean to and tends to get a lot of traffic from youth groups.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Tinker must not have been up to Crag camp in several years. It was replaced several years ago with a very nice cabin with views down into kings ravine and the surrounding area. It is now the "crown jewel" of the RMC camps. Gray Knob is warmer in the winter and doesnt have a view. Note that all of the RMC sites have no reservations and there is a fee to stay (no options for work for stay). The perch is an open lean to and tends to get a lot of traffic from youth groups.
    My bad. I got The Perch and Crag Camp mixed up in my mind. I really should use my photo album to check these things out.

Yes, Crag Camp is very, very nice.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++