WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NOC to Fontana

Default NOC to Fontana

As a teacher the summer started with plans to go from the approach trail at Springer to Hot Springs. But alas with a series of injuries I've only gotten to the NOC. I want to at least get up to Fontana Dam, and I'm looking for shuttle recommendations in that area. I already know about Ron, Dave and Victor at the Budget Inn in Franklin (Dave shuttled me back to Amicalola when a badly infected finger got me off the trial the first time.) I'm just checking to see if people have other options.

Bruce Hudson

Can you dig it?
    Images

the hiker inn there on 28 near fontana and Jerry at Fontana village are both good options.

Default Almost forgot

Yep, the major issue on my mind when I started to post: what about security for a truck at either end. The NOC didn't strike me as the best place imaginable to leave a truck for a few days-- in fact I would have to check to see if it can be done. And of course I've not been to Fontana yet. I can leave the truck at either end. Which would be the most secure?

Bruce Hudson

Images

NOC and Fontana Dam area are the best places to leave your car. We have left ours at both before, never a problem. NOC allows you to park for as long as you need. They suggest to park over where you rent boats. Fontana allows long term parking also anywhere beside the visitors center.

Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn will shuttle anywhere in the area.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

The NOC employees also shuttle. They have a board they post requests on and one of them will call you to make arrangements. We did this earlier this month and left our truck there, no problems.

No problem at Fontana with vehicles. We left ours there for a week and everything was fine.

Hike Inn is just east of Fontana and a very safe place to leave a vehicle. Give Jeff/Nancy a call at 824 479-3677. Best time is early evening. They also run shuttles.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    No problem at Fontana with vehicles. We left ours there for a week and everything was fine.
    Me too no problem. It is well patrolled and you will see an obvious ares where the section hikers park. Your shuttle service should be well versed too.
    Kevin

I asked around the the resturant for a shuttle. A college kid who worked there drove me, then left my jeep at NOC. No problems.

++ New Posts ++