WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool What kinda pipe?

I was curious if anyone else brought a pipe with them while hiking. I used to have a semi churchwarden that I'd carry and smoke while having a cup of black tea after breakfast. I generally prefer darker aromatic blends, they just seem to make the hike even more relaxing.

So, if you smoke a pipe while you hike, let us know what kind you have and what you smoke.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I was curious if anyone else brought a pipe with them while hiking. I used to have a semi churchwarden that I'd carry and smoke while having a cup of black tea after breakfast. I generally prefer darker aromatic blends, they just seem to make the hike even more relaxing.

So, if you smoke a pipe while you hike, let us know what kind you have and what you smoke.
    you're refering to tobacco i assume.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

i have a cheap corncob pipe that works well for hiking! if it gets broken, it only cost 4 bucks and change! i have a much nicer briar pipe but i can't see myself packing with it just in case it did get broken. black cavendish is a good choice as is captain black! both very aromatic and very smooth!
    good luck!

that's reefering, general

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    you're refering to tobacco i assume.
    Yulp, wouldn't use a real pipe any other way

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    i have a cheap corncob pipe that works well for hiking! if it gets broken, it only cost 4 bucks and change! i have a much nicer briar pipe but i can't see myself packing with it just in case it did get broken. black cavendish is a good choice as is captain black! both very aromatic and very smooth!
    good luck!
    How does the corn cob smoke? I had one when I was 16, and man, I'm not sure if it was me or not, but that thing never held a candle to the briar pipe that I got after I lost my corn cob.

I hear ya on the breakage though, I'd like another semi-churchwarden to hike with, but I might get nervous about breaking the stem

Images

I've hiked with the top one in this picture all of my 35 years of backpacking. It's been a lot of places like the JMT, the Alps in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Canadian Rockies, Long Trail, Colorado Rockies.

The top one is 40 years old and is an Edwards pipe. The bottom one is less than a year old (Christmas present) and is a Peterson from Tinderbox. I started with, 40 years ago, and still smoke Edwards Pipe shop's Scottish Moor blend.

I enjoy a nice smoke after a long day's hike after the tent's up, water's been gotten, crystal lite tea's been made, the ThermaRest chair's set up . . . it's time to relax.

Then in the morning nothing beats a pipe with a cup of real coffee made in my JetBoil cozy with coffee press . . . ummmmm! I wave bye bye to the 20-mile-a-dayers who hit the trail at first light, enjoying one of the best parts of hiking, IMHO.

I quit my tobacco addiction 30 years ago; got over the cigarette craving but still miss my pipe. For outdoors, I favored a pipe that was not very long (pocket- sized), sturdy at the stem- bowl connection, straight stem so I could invert it when raining. Since y'all are mentioning tobacco, I liked Borkum Riff... still like to sniff packages at the store.

Images

I've never smoked cigarettes and do not have a tobacco addiction. I smoke one bowl a day (usually) at home and two (evening and morning) on the trail. But I can sympathize if you've kicked a cigarette addiction and pipe smoking would be too tempting. I've smoked Borkum Riff and Captain Black, but there's nothing quite like Edwards' Scottish Moor, for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I've hiked with the top one in this picture all of my 35 years of backpacking. It's been a lot of places like the JMT, the Alps in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Canadian Rockies, Long Trail, Colorado Rockies.
    I can hear the yodeling off in the distance... and Julie Andrews...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I can hear the yodeling off in the distance... and Julie Andrews...
    Actually, up from Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland, on a mountain with a view of the Jung Frau, Eiger, and Zuckspitz Mtns, I happened upon an outdoor fest where they were yodeling (professionals). Sounded really cool echoing through those awesome Alp mountains. That area is actually where they filmed the "Sound of Music!" Later that night in camp, I smoked that pipe!

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I don't use tobacco at all anymore, but I think if I did, I would use a corn cob. Cheap and light, tastes good, just doesn't last that long.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    I don't use tobacco at all anymore, but I think if I did, I would use a corn cob. Cheap and light, tastes good, just doesn't last that long.
    A good quality briar is light years better than a corn cob in coolness and taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    A good quality brier is light years better than a corn cob in coolness and taste.
    I loved my corn cob, but even one of the cheapy grab bin briars is a world above the taste from my cob. Get a nicer pipe like a peterson with a p-lip and man oh man you can get spoiled, it'll bury most cigars in the ground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    I quit my tobacco addiction 30 years ago; got over the cigarette craving but still miss my pipe. For outdoors, I favored a pipe that was not very long (pocket- sized), sturdy at the stem- bowl connection, straight stem so I could invert it when raining. Since y'all are mentioning tobacco, I liked Borkum Riff... still like to sniff packages at the store.
    I've never met a pipe smoker that was addicted to nicotine, maybe it's mostly a cigarette thing.

i've been on the trail nearly every day over the past two weeks, and the number of butts is disturbing. pack it out. pipe seems like a good way to go for a smoke. i don't smoke anything btw.

Images

Nobody uses meerschaum pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Thomas View Post
    I've looked at them, I'm considering replacing my pipe with a real pipe, but I think this one would be best for my hiking and fishing

Images

Nice looking pipe! I never cared much for the screen . . . just put my thumb over it in the wind. Nice grain in the briar . . . looks like it's cut from 'the heart.' I also prefer a 'bent,' like that one and mine pictured above. Prolongs having to swab out the moisture that naturally builds up in the stem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Thomas View Post
    I've tried but never owned one. Just didn't see what all the hype was about. I guess I'm just 'old school' . . . give me block of wood.

Images

i prefer the thick hand-blown glass sherlock style of pipe.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++