WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I used the blue ones from Damascus on.. I believe they helped with the trail runners,Montrail Hardrocks.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Inserts are not designed to provide cushion. They are rigid for proper alignment of your feet. Your shoes are what provide cushion for your feet.
    ==================================

This post is right on the money. The theory behind SuperFeet is that we are all born with adequate padding on the soles of our feet. What we need is something that stabilizes the heel and supports the arch for a solid heel plant and stride.

===================================

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Superfeet killed my feet - but I have flat arches. They really hurt.

Spenco hiker insoles were great for me. Used them the entire hike...replaced them often as well.
    ==================================

SuperFeet are definitely NOT for everyone, especially those with extreme flat feet. No matter how much break-in time you allow the built-in arch of the SuperFeet will press to hard against the bottom of the foot and actually cause bruising and pain.

Spenco's work for a lot of people but they are basically a "sponge". They feel more comfortable because of the feeling of cushioning they provide. The drawback is that they tend to allow excess foot movement inside your footwear if it does not fit well/correctly.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Inserts are not designed to provide cushion. They are rigid for proper alignment of your feet. Your shoes are what provide cushion for your feet.
    Please don't respond to my comment like I'm an idiot. Of course I know that the midsoles in your shoes (be it in EVA foam or polyurethane) provide the most cushioning in a shoe. Also, I don't recall saying that insoles are made for cushioning, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that they're not designed to provide cushioning at all. If so, why do many insoles come in different thicknesses of foam? My comment just suggested that, in my own opinion, I think there were other insoles out there that provide an equivalent amount of support as a pair of Superfeet, albeit in a more comfortable manner.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Images

so i walk the pa trails w/ no troubles at all in regular sneakers. i'm not really worried about cushioning or protection from rocks (don't really know why pa gets such a bad rep about them). my primary concern is the super long distance wear on my tires. i'd rather not ruin my feet for the rest of my life b/c i want to do a thru. are superfeet my best bet to prevent this? (as far as feet are concerned - obviously a lower pack weight and hiking poles will also play a factor)

Quote Originally Posted by BookBurner View Post
    An earlier poster said it best - "If it ain't broke don't fix it". A light pack weight is by far and away the best preventative for foot problems!
    Chances are that it is broke. Many/most boots come with bad cheap insoles that should be replaced on day one. Boots aren't complete without the right insole. Superfeet isn't the only brand available, but unfortunately many of the others can be hard to find.

orange superfeet nearly destroyed my feet. well after the break in period, i had to leave them at mountain crossings during a section back in march. there was simply no padding under the ball of my foot. the arch support was great though. i used the cheap green insoles that are sold at mtn xings. i would reccomend finding the superfeet that are designed for shoes that do not have a removable insole and simply place those on top of some insoles in shoes that will allow this.

funny how most inserts are made of some form of foam, and superfeet contain foam.

some inserts are indeed designed to provide support and cushion, or at least the makers are hoping you will believe this.

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Green.aspx

You don't want to mess with your feet. If you have numbness or pain you should get inserts. I know my local running store has a variety of inserts, some of which are allegedly more "custom" than superfeet. I'm going to be looking into these... and maybe also even talking to a podiatrist. I have really high arches and my feet bother me after only a few hours of hiking. the thought of permanently collapsing my arches/messing up my feet really freaks me out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++