WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Find a Moose in New Hampshire

If anyone would like to see a moose in NH I was staying in the pemi wilderness last week and stayed my last night at 13 falls Tentsite. Ran into a group of Boy scouts and an Outdoor adventure club and they had just finished their hike on Franconia Brook Trail up to 13 falls tentsite. They told me of seeing a 1500 - 2000 lb moose with full antlers covered in velvet still ( not it rut yet) But told me to keep an eye about 2 miles after I left the site for droppings. Unfortunately we did not see the moose but followed fresh droppings on Franconia Brook Trail for at least 1 1/2 miles, so if anyone has a few days to go out searching you could find him in that area between 13 falls and the Wilderness trail, either way it's a great day hike if you have a bug net.

While i'm in this forum, Marje did see 2 black bear cubs at about 3500-4000ft on the way up Bondcliff, no momma around within sight , good thing

Images

The Ethan Pond trail on the other side of the Pemi is another good area to see moose. I walked up on a large bullmoose standing right in the middle of the trail last Sept. about 3/4 mile from Rt.302. It was pretty cool to turn a corner on the trail and suddenly be face to face with a very large animal.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    The Ethan Pond trail on the other side of the Pemi is another good area to see moose. I walked up on a large bullmoose standing right in the middle of the trail last Sept. about 3/4 mile from Rt.302. It was pretty cool to turn a corner on the trail and suddenly be face to face with a very large animal.

I saw my first ever moose at the shelter (I forget the name) on the other side of the Kinsmans from Kinsman Pond.

A boggy area..perfect for moose viewing!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I saw my first ever moose at the shelter (I forget the name) on the other side of the Kinsmans from Kinsman Pond.

A boggy area..perfect for moose viewing!
    Eliza Brook Shelter is probably the one you're thinking of. When I saw the bullmoose last year it was the first time I had seen a moose while hiking. All the other moose I've seen were from a car.

It amazes me how such a huge animal can blend in with the forest. After the moose I saw left the trail it stopped about 15 feet into the woods and was effectively invisible.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    Eliza Brook Shelter is probably the one you're thinking of.

YES! It was at the tip of my tongue; I could not quite remember the name! Thanks!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++