WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Stelth Camping & Camo Tarps

Some of you expressed interest of getting a camo tarp for your hammock. The supplier that originally provided the product isn't available anymore. General is going to buy a bolt of ripstop nylon and make me a 8x10 camo tarp with re-enforced seams. I suspect we would need a few more orders here to make this affordable. Would there be any more interested folks in getting a custom made camo tarp to help cut some of the costs?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm interested. Do you know what the cost will be, ball park.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
    I'm interested. Do you know what the cost will be, ball park.
    Same. .

Journal Entries
    Images

He Pm'ed me about thickness of 70 denier rip stop nylon with reinforced corners and mid points with tie outs for $75. If more of us are on board I would suspect the price would come down. He appears to be on at nights - so we would need to discover a little more information. $75 in not bad considering we would be getting American made, & his time & effort. The product should come under 1 lbs and be far better than Sil nylon. I would suspect this would last a lifetime. He probably has not seen these posts - but I did Pm him to tell him about this.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    He Pm'ed me about thickness of 70 denier rip stop nylon with reinforced corners and mid points with tie outs for $75. If more of us are on board I would suspect the price would come down. He appears to be on at nights - so we would need to discover a little more information. $75 in not bad considering we would be getting American made, & his time & effort. The product should come under 1 lbs and be far better than Sil nylon. I would suspect this would last a lifetime. He probably has not seen these posts - but I did Pm him to tell him about this.
    Confused.
    Would this be 70d urathane coated, or 70d silicone impregnated?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    How is this far better than silnylon? Is it even waterproof? Silnylon is what all the crazy tree dwelling folks over at hammock forums use for tarps. At least most all of them.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Confused.
    Would this be 70d urathane coated, or 70d silicone impregnated?
    dwr, durable water repellant. that would be the urathane coating 1.9oz per yard 70 denier ripstop nylon sewn with #46 bonded nylon thread. turn around time is about 2 1/2 weeks
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    How is this far better than silnylon? Is it even waterproof? Silnylon is what all the crazy tree dwelling folks over at hammock forums use for tarps. At least most all of them.
    evidently i can't get sil nylon in camo anymore or at the moment. sil nylon is 1.1 oz per yard, and the 70 denier ripstop is 1.9 oz per yard. it is waterproof and it is more durable than sil nylon.

Images

$75 for an 8 X 8. $85 for an 8 X 10 or a 10 X 10. woodland camo.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    $75 for an 8 X 8. $85 for an 8 X 10 or a 10 X 10. woodland camo.
    What do you think the 10x10 weighs General?

Journal Entries
    Images

I really should let General calculate it, I looked up my Kelty Noah, and a 9x9 is Average weight 1 lbs. 13 oz. But the Noah has all these extra unnecessary tie outs that a bit useless that add weight. So we are shooting for something less than that, covered in Camo.

I am going to guess a 8x10 should come to 20-25 oz

This is a "go" for me...Sil has already proven to me that it doesn't hold up in storm conditions.

Woo

Definitely interested; I would want the 10x10. I want no part of getting wet! The Hennesey tarp barely covers my hammock.
    Trillium

Journal Entries
    Images

I am starting to think a ten by ten would be better as I don't have to wonder which side is longer in the dark.....

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Well General's tarp arrived today and quite frankly I am stunned at the workmanship! I am glad I asked for help and my freinds supported him and told me to PM him. The quality and the bag that came with it was awesome. I bought 50 feet of glow cord or trip teeze for the guys by day its green blue. Here its set up with walking sticks.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    evidently i can't get sil nylon in camo anymore or at the moment. sil nylon is 1.1 oz per yard, and the 70 denier ripstop is 1.9 oz per yard. it is waterproof and it is more durable than sil nylon.
    I've never heard of camo silnylon, you can get coyote brown or OD if you are really, really lucky but nada on the camo.

Journal Entries
    Images

General's supply contact says it exsists in China but due to the camo colors & ink passes substantially weakens the material.

Does anyone know what the difference is between sil and parachute nylon and can it be had with waterproofing?

Woo

Samurai Hiker
    Images

Saw this thread and thought I would let you guys know that Sportsmansguide has camo tarps available again. They are listed under the military surplus category. Not sure how much they weigh though.

Samurai Hiker
    Images

Sorry, forgot to note that these are not the same as the old Guide Gear Camo Tarps. These new ones are probably heavier.

I want to vouch for not only Generals craftsmanship, but how understanding he is about mishaps. you cannot go wrong with him. Thanks again Lee.

Images

FYI & FWIW:
    I have a camo tarp from Sportsmans Guide, in daylight it is rather stelthy, just as soon as it is in Moonlight, it nearly glows. It dosn't matter which side is out, the effect is nearly the same. I may as well have a white tarp. In fact, I was camping with Coffee at a Ohio state park, he had a white tarp, come nightfall / moonrise, they looked nearly identical, his seemed a bit less obvious.
    It may have been the coating on that particular tarp, or the nylon itself, I have no way of knowing. I have 2 of these tarps both have the same "problem", one was bought in 06, the other in 08.

Your material may not "glow".
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++