WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caldera Keg

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Caldera Keg

For those of you who own or have seen the Caldera Cone in action (I love mine!), here's the next generation of lightweight stoves from the folks at Trail Designs. Ladies and Gentlemen and those who aren't sure, I give to you the Caldera Keg. I know what you're thinking. Yep, ordered mine this morning. I know what else you're thinking, too. You're welcome.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Well, that is pretty cute! I don't know if I can stop using my faithful Ti kettle, though.

Let me know how it works out!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Tin Man had one at Soruck. You didn't see it?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

The only thing that system is missing is a flameproof wick to wrap around that upper portion of the keg so you can pick up the pot bare-handed. Tinny at minibull sells one for the Heine pot. That new plastic container is what that system has needed all along.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Nope. I guess I was too busy gabbing.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I musta missed it at SoRuck. Crap. Oh well, mine will be here by the end of the week. Going hiking the weekend of 12 September, so I'll get to use it then.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    .......That new plastic container is what that system has needed all along.
    Agreed. That's part of what sold me on it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

*Counts pennies* *Shakes Head*

Next month maybe... God I'm broke....
    Because the Journey is not just a begining and an end...

My Thru Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Passionphish View Post

Yeah, that looks to be about a $30 beer can. I think I'll just try a Grinch Stove for the Heine can I have.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Passionphish View Post

Don't diminish the value of saved change. After almost a year of saving my loose change, I had the money for a Speer SnugFit underquilt for my hammock. I tossed every extra penny, nickel, dime, etc in a jar for almost a year to get one of those babies. So if I can do it, anyone can.

Default Caldera Keg....it comes with a cozy too!

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    The only thing that system is missing is a flameproof wick to wrap around that upper portion of the keg so you can pick up the pot bare-handed. Tinny at minibull sells one for the Heine pot. That new plastic container is what that system has needed all along.
    Thanks for the comment on the "new plastic container". We call it the "Caldera Caddy".....we had it made from food grade plastic so it can double as a bowl and a mug.

As to the wicking.....we played around with that with our early prototypes. It's advantage is what you mention about grabbing it....but also to support the Keg on top of the cone. However, we abandoned that direction and just reformed all of the cans to have a "lip" half way down at the 2-cup level.....and included a cozy. The cozy will help you handle the hot can, and insulate it as well. The formed lip at the 2-cup level helps you measure the right amount of water, AND puts that amount inside the cone where it is needed.

Thanks for the interest!

Rand

.....oh....and I almost forgot.....the top has a silicone "lip guard"/wristband that can be used to protect you from the heat while lifting it.

Rand

Quote Originally Posted by traildesigns View Post
    Thanks for the comment on the "new plastic container". We call it the "Caldera Caddy".....we had it made from food grade plastic so it can double as a bowl and a mug.

As to the wicking.....we played around with that with our early prototypes. It's advantage is what you mention about grabbing it....but also to support the Keg on top of the cone. However, we abandoned that direction and just reformed all of the cans to have a "lip" half way down at the 2-cup level.....and included a cozy. The cozy will help you handle the hot can, and insulate it as well. The formed lip at the 2-cup level helps you measure the right amount of water, AND puts that amount inside the cone where it is needed.

Thanks for the interest!

Rand
    Looks like you guys thought of everything, it is kinda spendy but I may have to spring for it.

Images

Mine was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening. I'll play with it tomorrow and do a test burn, but I'll put it to the test next month during some MUCH needed trail time. This thing is sooper-dooper light, easy to pack and very compact to stash in your pack. Can't wait to use it!

im not so sure that a 6 oz setup is the lightest 'available'

considering the strength/durability compromise that this stove has, and little if any weight savings, i dont see what the appeal is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post

considering the strength/durability compromise that this stove has, and little if any weight savings, i dont see what the appeal is.
    You've obviously never owned a Caldera.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Considering this is a complete, intergrated cooking system, pretty effiecent and reasonably compack, I think it would be hard to beat the 6 oz. I saw a prototype at Trail Days and was impressed. I am glad I can finally buy one now
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Considering this is a complete, intergrated cooking system, pretty effiecent and reasonably compack, I think it would be hard to beat the 6 oz. I saw a prototype at Trail Days and was impressed. I am glad I can finally buy one now
    not saying it does not look like a good system. i just believe its self proclaimed exceptionality is a tad exaggerated.

Images

not saying it does not look like a good system. i just believe its self proclaimed exceptionality is a tad exaggerated.
    I appreciate your opinion but until you try a Caldera cone, you really do not know the efficiency of one.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    I appreciate your opinion but until you try a Caldera cone, you really do not know the efficiency of one.
    A Caldera Cone isn't any more efficient than any other good alcohol stove....until the wind picks up. The Cone's only downside is packing it so it doesn't get damaged, that problem has been solved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++