WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Storyteller
    Images

Default Meltzer slightly ahead of schedule as quest for record continues

By CHRIS A. COUROGEN

The Speedgoat is on the move, and doing well. In fact, he is even a little ahead of schedule, says Marit Fischer, a member of Karl meltzer's crew.

Meltzer completed his planned 41 miles Tuesday and as of around 1 p.m. Wednesday was about 25 miles into a planned 41 mile trek today in his quest to break the Appalachian trail through-hike speed record.

"He is about 10 minutes ahead of schedule," said Fischer, who reports Meltzer stopped long enough to wolf down two PB&Js, some pasta salad and a nutrition drink before resuming his quest.

Fischer reported Meltzer's progress from a logging road in maine's 100-mile Wilderness, where she had one bar of cell signal, her first signal all day.

"He's just trucking along. In fact yesterday he was ahead of schedule enough that we missed him at two road crossings," Fischer said.

Fischer acknowledged frustration with Meltzer's Spot tracking deveice, which is supposed to be beaming signals updating his progress, which can be tracked on the WheresKarl.com Web site.

"We're doing our part. I don't know why the Spot is not working. It's on and attached to his pack," said Fischer, who speculated the heavuily wooded nature of the terrain Meltzer is in might have something to do with the problem.

Fischer said Meltzer has had no problems with the wet trail in Maine thus far. He forded his first stream yesterday, crossing water chest high. Video footage of that crossing will be uploaded to the WheresKarl site when the crew gets sufficient connectivity.

10 minutes ahead of schedule?
    Chest deep ford in the first 41 miles? Either he fell in, stepped in a hole or forded in the wrong place.
    Whitecap and the Barren Chairbacks await.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    10 minutes ahead of schedule?
    Chest deep ford in the first 41 miles? Either he fell in, stepped in a hole or forded in the wrong place.
    Whitecap and the Barren Chairbacks await.
    I hear New England has had record rainfall the past few weeks, a high ford is possible I suppose.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

rainbow stream is the only water you cross in that section

Not everyone is God personified and can walk on water. I'll wait for the video rather the take the word of someone who wasn't even there.

Could be author/packsniffer embelishment.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    rainbow stream is the only water you cross in that section
    right after you leave whitehouse landing (north bound)theres a creek crossing he might of fell into,i think its Nahmakanta stream before you reach wadleigh stream lean-to.

I don't know why the Spot is not working.

As long as you hike in areas that have no trees and no clouds your Spot device should work perfectly.

Think I'll go buy a couple right now.

sorry L.W. i should read before posting that would be the second day around the 44th mile.

++ New Posts ++