WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Leaving in February

What could I expect the trail to be like traveling NOBO in early to mid February? I start a new job in June and would like to be done before I start the new job so the only way to do it would be to do it in 4 months starting in early February.

You can expect some very cold weather with a start that early. Although a little unusual, it can fall below zero. Also you are at risk for some heavy snow as you will encounter some high elevations all the way through Damascus.

Doing the trail in 4 months with a February start is a tall order. The days will still be rather short, and the weather will be iffy. Also, you will arrive in New England during black fly season.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    What could I expect the trail to be like traveling NOBO in early to mid February? I start a new job in June and would like to be done before I start the new job so the only way to do it would be to do it in 4 months starting in early February.
    From everything I have learned so far about the temperature down in Georgia that time of the year it is all over the charts, everything from comfortable and sunny during the days to bone cracking cold at night. Unless you are in athletic (and even if you are) condition,this type of thru-hike attempt(early start and fast finish) may not be a wise decision. You could easily set yourself up for injury or worse. In my opinion an early start(with the proper clothing and equipment is OK if prepared mentally and physically),with the knowledge that at anytime in the high elevations a storm could occur suddenly,and with little warning, and one would have to leave trail for real shelter, but to me starting that early with a mad dash to the finish line may not be a good decision.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

expect cold.

we started Feb 1 and finished in less than 5 months. if you have specific questions, we'd be glad to entertain with answers....
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Well I haven't done it but I'd say cold, snow, and ice. People that start in early March encounter that so you definitely will too. Make sure you have a really warm bag. Keep stuff you don't want to get really cold (like your digital camera) in your bag with you. Go on trail journals and look up some journals from past years with early start dates. That will give you an idea of what to expect. Hope you don't mind the cold. I do.

Default I started my NOBO thruhike in 2006 on Feb. 14th...

And, I'm doing another one in 2009, leaving at least a week earlier.

Yeah, it can be cold. Just bring the gear you need, and accept that weather may get in your way at times. The additional time for thruhiking IMO ups your chances of a completion, for one thing. Less-crowded trails/ camping spots/ shelters are another plus. Then, there're the better views, and the beauty of mountains in winter. Ahhhh... I can't wait to be out there again, in February.

The only down side is getting sick cuz it's just hard to get warm, no matter what you wear or do. On the up side, winter backpacking is great, the woods are open and you can walk till the green tunnle surrounds you.

One thing to keep in mind are your mail drops, some locations may not be open in Feb., so plan ahead if you are using maildrops. Also, do some winter/cold weather hiking before you go to shake down your gear, otherwise, have a blast, not many hikers around, no bugs, bears or snakes to worry about.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Don't try to predict the weather in the mountains, it's not possible. I had a few days in GA where it was in the 60's, and I had a few days where it was cold or snowing or both.

All over the charts.

Kirby

++ New Posts ++