WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Thaks Hearbear, trying to learn a little more about this subject, as my knowledge is very limited.

As Hearbear says and probably the best advise on this subject is to do your own verification, one other plant/tree I just read about is the Willow tree, in the soft under bark, it has the same active ingredient as Aspirin, Salicylic acid.
    +1 good for tooth aches too bite down and hold some between teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    +1 good for tooth aches too bite down and hold some between teeth
    Or maybe on trail for a suspected heart attack, although if that is the case, probably best to have some Aspirin,well that just made my first aid kit, as I've always carried Tylenol.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

These are one of my luxury items while hiking: http://www.campingsurvival.com/wicaedwifo.html. They are playing cards with images/drawings on one side and a description of most everything you need to identify an edible plant. Plus, they have a hole through which you can pass a carabiner.

I agree that it takes too long to gather anything meaningful outside of the larger fruits. Still, I have been known to reach down and pick a few leaves of dandelion or similar to munch just to remember what fresh produce tastes like...

Journal Entries
    Images

Farmer Chef - its a great idea. I would prefer a good Kindle book on the subject.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Didn't realize you could propogate them. Ever done that, and if so how tough were they to get going?
    You'll want to plant them in a creek bottom. They need rich moist soil. And they are an understory tree, you don't want them in full sun. The three I planted died the first season. I didn't do the things I just mentioned. Its really much easier to find a clonal cluster of trees in the woods somewhere and go pick the fruit in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    and believe it or not hemoroids also
    I can just see that one. "Umm, excuse me. I know we just met at along the trail earlier today, but I have this little problem I need some help with. Would you mind applying this to my..."

There is many wild edibles out there. Start by researching them before eating and you can have a feast during the warmer months.

An ever growing list of wild edibles and in depth write-ups regarding them

http://blog.emergencyoutdoors.com/ca...e-wild-plants/
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

I've learned that most plants are edible and it's not near as dangerous eating (picking) wild edibles as compared to mushrooms, but of course you want to be careful. There are so many wild edibles that I actually grow quite a few of them in my garden, basically I don't "weed" my garden anymore and they just comeback year after year. However, there are a few veggies I still like to grow, especially tomatoes and peppers, among other things.

Just picked these today:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft View Post
    There is many wild edibles out there. Start by researching them before eating and you can have a feast during the warmer months.

An ever growing list of wild edibles and in depth write-ups regarding them

http://blog.emergencyoutdoors.com/ca...e-wild-plants/
    Wow, what a resorce, thanks for posting this bushcraft, great color plates, and a ton of historical information.....Book marked!

try you some Indian pipe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++