WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Beer Can Pot

Default Beer Can Pot

I'm working on switching my kitchen set over to alcohol stove and a Foster's beer can pot. I was reading about the pots online and most people say they use the pots just for boiling water and mix their food in a different container. Does anyone have experience with beer can pots and cooking or not cooking in them?
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I feel like they would be hard to cook in because of the clean up . I will do coffee in it though. Otherwise I typically pack dried food into ziplocs and add water to those. I only use my Heineken set up solo. For two I take a Caldera cone and pot.

I had made a couple beer can pots, so I tried cooking in one as an experiment. They are difficult to clean and scrubbing causes the light metal to become distorted.

Agreed. Not meant as a cook pot. Boil pot- yes.

I tested it out in my garage and I am not a fan. Not even for boiling. Kudos though to anyone that can use one well.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Images

Echoing what everyone else has said: boiling yes, cooking no. Besides, since cooking generally requires more fuel anyway, it is just easier to take a more substantial (read: heavier) cook kit. There are some substantial pot sets for under $30 that you can cook in with no problem.

I have cooked rice in beer can pot, using a pot cozy for 15-20 minutes. But IMO you are better off with a light weight aluminum/titanium pot and than the beer can pot on durability concerns. if you are making one yourself then you can consider them.

You have to have made a previous decision to freezer bag cook before going with a Fosters can. I've done this and went with a Caldera Cone Keg system and love it.

With the system there is a plastic case that doubles as two additional drink containers.

The best part is the entire system including stove, can, containers weigh a grand total of 63 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a beer pot thru hiking this spring and it works well for boiling water but you dont want to cook food in it. Just carry a supply of zip lock freezer bags and put the hot water in them to heat your food, no clean up needed. If you use a stove made from the proper size aluminum spray can you have a very stable system which is a primary reason I used it. The stove will fit into the depression in the can bottom. Biggest problem is damaging the can. I used an aluminum wind screen wrapped around it to protect it. Pot, stove, wind screen, velcro wrap, and bag weighed 3 oz. I also made a huggie to slip the zip lock bag into while eating, keeps the food warm and helps keep food off you.

++ New Posts ++