WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT Elevation Profiles

Hello,

I have just created a set of elevation profiles for the CDT. Currently, there is just one big profile for each state. Here are the links:

Continental Divide Trail

Notes:

1. The profiles were created based on Jonathan Ley's Google Earth track of the CDT. I just added elevation data, and plotted it on an X/Y axis. Here's a link to his google earth page: http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtkml.shtml.
    2. Since there are lots of different routes, I chose to use the "main route" which is the red track in Ley's google earth file. I might create elevation profiles for other routes sometime in the future.
    4. The profile is color coded based on elevation. Here's the key:

• Green: Elevation < 5,000ft
    • Blue: 5,000ft < Elevation < 10,000ft
    • Red: Elevation > 10,000ft
    3. I created all the profiles earlier today, so I haven't had time to add very many labels and things. It takes me a long time to identify the various high points and other points of interest... so if you can identify some of the peaks... just let me know I'll add a label for it when I update the profiles.
    4. The units on the x-axis are in miles, calculated based on the GPS track data. This mileage probably doesn't correlate very well with other sources, like guide book data etc.
    5. Eventually, I'll create a version of the profiles which is set up to be printed on 8.5x11 paper... which would be useful for hiking. However, I'm a long way from that at the moment.

That's it... enjoy!

Mr. Parkay
    Last edited by attroll; 10-03-2008 at 01:44.

Hello again,

The links above will be outdated soon... if not already. Here's a link to a simple web site that I have set up with updated links to the profiles:
    http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/
    Last edited by attroll; 10-03-2008 at 02:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Hello again,

The links above will be outdated soon... if not already. Here's a link to a simple web site that I have set up with updated links to the profiles:
    http://www.spanglefish.com/parkaymaps
    LOL.. Another fine job but where do you find all these websites?

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks!
    Hey No Problem... by the way, the links above will be dieing soon, which is okay since I'm working on a new set of profiles to replace them. The new profiles will be fully loaded with about 700 labels. Should be awesome, I'm excited! -- Parkay

Default New and Improved Everything

Hey Guys,

I've completely re-done the CDT profiles, and added about 650 placemarks. They are available here on my web site. http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/ this is different from the spanglefish site that I set up previously.

Also, I've created some supplemental material, such as a google earth file with placemarks for all of the labels, and a text file with additional info on all of the placemarks. I have a better explanation for this stuff on the web site.

--Mr. Parkay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've completely re-done the CDT profiles, and added about 650 placemarks. They are available here on my web site. http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/ this is different from the spanglefish site that I set up previously.

Also, I've created some supplemental material, such as a google earth file with placemarks for all of the labels, and a text file with additional info on all of the placemarks. I have a better explanation for this stuff on the web site.

--Mr. Parkay
    Mr Parkay, looking forward to your new and improved elevation data on the CDT, as I am seeking to thru-hike it in 2010. Could U keep me advised on your updates? THANX. R U planning to carry a squeeze Parkay bottle on the CDT, as U did on the AT in 06? R there CDT plans in your future?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Mr Parkay, looking forward to your new and improved elevation data on the CDT, as I am seeking to thru-hike it in 2010. Could U keep me advised on your updates? THANX. R U planning to carry a squeeze Parkay bottle on the CDT, as U did on the AT in 06? R there CDT plans in your future?
    Hey Dogwood, the new and improved elevation stuff is on the site already... just posted it about 30 minutes ago.

Well, I don't have any specific plans to hike the CDT yet, but It'll probably happen sometime within the next 2 or 3 years. Perhaps 2010 as well. I have 2 friends hiking the CDT right now (Stick and Wing-it), which makes me extremely jealous.

By the way, I gave up the bottle of parkay margerine a while ago, mostly because I don't cook on the trail any more, I just eat dry food nowadays. But who knows, perhaps I should bring it back on the CDT!

++ New Posts ++