WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Inexpensive tarp

Looking for a tarp to take hunting. I figured if anybody knows about tarps it's the hiking community.

I'm wondering if there is a tarp that is between the cheap poly material sold at Wal-Mart and the fancy Sil Nylon sold for expensive ultralight set ups.

I want something 6x7 (or there abouts) just to use as a lean to when I'm cooking or scouting. Camo, brown or dark green is best. I don't want to spend a lot but I do want nice gear.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by TFin04 View Post
    I don't want to spend a lot but I do want nice gear.
    That's the trick, now, isn't it?
    Frosty

Campmor, coated nylon, heavier than sil, waaay lighter than wal-mart poly, 1/2 the price of sil, comes in green, sizes from 3'x6' to 12'x16'.
    10'x10' $39.95.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Campmor, coated nylon, heavier than sil, waaay lighter than wal-mart poly, 1/2 the price of sil, comes in green, sizes from 3'x6' to 12'x16'.
    10'x10' $39.95.

geek
    Got me the campmor one, the 10x10 with the tieouts instead of the grommets, I like it.

Images

I've bought Kelty tent footprints from www.outdooroutlet.com for under $10.00 that work just fine for basic tarps. Here is an example http://outdooroutlet.com/shopping.ph...detail&id=5782
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

The footprints are out of stock. Cool idea though.

The coated nylon looks promising. I will head to campmor and check it out.

Has anyone seen a brown or camo coated nylon tarp?

Images

here are a couple that are in stock http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shoppin...detail&id=5938

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shoppin...detail&id=1303

just look unter tent accessories.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Images

What a clever idea. I wish I'd thought of that.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

There is nothing more versatile than a flat 10 x 10 tarp with the 21 tie tabs like the Campmor. But on the preceding page in the Campmor catalog is my favorite 10 x 10 tarp-the Kelty Noah tarp. It is $15 higher, but weighs 10 oz. less and is quicker to rig and flaps less in the wind. I have had two of them for several years and they have been bombproof.
    If you want to stay in the smaller 6 x 7 size, why not the Campmor 6 x 8 Sil-nylon tarp? It is also $55, which is a lot cheaper than many other Sil-nylon tarps and it weighs less than 11 oz.

Images

Had I seen that, I would have gotten it.

http://www.etowahoutfittersultraligh...SPECTARPS.html

Here's a small one in silnylon which is inexpensive, but grey or orange only.

www.jacksrbetter.com has an 8x8 green one which is very reasonable and more versatile.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247

here is what you are looking for...
    Sold out, Man.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

oh, that was in the fine print. i missed it.

Not sure which tarp is sold out on Sportsman's Guide, but my buddy got a camo 9x9, 1.5 pound tarp with cantillevered edges for $20 plus shipping from them about two months ago.
    When I am hunting and just poking around, I carry a camo poncho. As a tarp it is small but will do the job and has so many other uses. I use a tea candle stove/lantern under it while sitting in a ground blind when it is really nasty out.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSINGER View Post
    When I am hunting and just poking around, I carry a camo poncho. As a tarp it is small but will do the job and has so many other uses. I use a tea candle stove/lantern under it while sitting in a ground blind when it is really nasty out.
    I've been doing my research today and I think I have settled on a USGI Poncho. I can wear it as rain gear or set it up as a tarp.

When hunting squirrel you basically scout out a good area (IE, acorns!) and wait for them to star moving around because they saw you come in. I will set up my tarp in a basic lean to fashion and wait underneath it. It will keep the rain and sun off me while I sit quietly.

It will also provide enough room for me to skin the game under.

There are some other good options here. Who knew simple tarps could be addicting?

Images

If you want to stay cheep but have the 1.1oz SilNylon tarp, You could always order the fabrics in 2nds for 5.60 yd and make your own or have someone sew it for you.
    http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...stop:%20Coated
    I bought fabric from owfinc then bought a kenmore sewing maching from Sears and played around one weekend to learn how to sew. Made a tarp, tipi, pack cover,,, etc...

I've been looking into that as well. Looks like that site has some 1.9oz woodland camo.

For somebody who knows nothing about fabric, is a "yard" a square yard? Trying to figure out how much I need.

My mom can sew about anything. I think I will ask her to help me make something.

When I buy a new tent I am going to use the footprint for my REI dome tent as an additional tarp, Probably use it with the hammock I'm going to buy too, what I like about the footprint for a Dome tent vs a rectangular one is that it is 6 sided, so there is more tie downs and you can easily make an angled wind cover... if that makes sense

I'm thinking right now of building a basic lean to tarp with sides on it.

The bottom edge would be staked to the ground, the ridgeline would be about 4" high and I would have another 2" or so on the other end of the ridgeline to provide a sun/rain shade.

The sides would have little flaps that went from the back corners to the ground right under the ridgeline, and all the way up to the ridgeline (to form a triangle).

If that makes any sense, it would have 3 side coverage with 4-5 feet of dry ground space underneath. Shouldn't take much material either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++