WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cookpot metal irrelevant to cook time--REPORT

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/d...ware_myths.php

"Debunking Cookware Myths

I'm a born skeptic. When I read people making claims on internet message boards regarding the performance or failure of their gear, I duplicate the experiment to either confirm or refute their results. This article reports on an experiment I ran to determine if people's claims that there is a significant difference between boil times and fuel consumption for the three common cookware materials get the [profanely bogus] award. Pots tested:
    • MSR Titan kettle (titanium)
    • MSR Stowaway (stainless steel)
    • Camping Gaz (Bluet) aluminum
    • generic stainless steel 2 L pot
    Experimental: A large basin of water was set out and allowed to equilibrate with room temperature (72 degrees Fahrenheit). Two cups of water were transferred to each of the pots using a cooking grade measuring cup. The boiling point at my altitude was determined to be 212 degrees F. A Primus Alpine Titanium canister stove was used to heat the water to boiling as determined by the temperature probe (see sidebar for details of temperature data collection). The probe was suspended in the center of each pot so that the sensor was about one centimeter below the surface of the water. The weight of the canister after heating the water to a boil was subtracted from the weight of the canister before to determine the mass of fuel used. The time to reach a 212 degree boil was recorded in seconds. In each case the initial starting temperature of the water was 72 degrees F and final was 212 degrees F.
    Results:
    Material/ Fuel weight consumed/ Time to reach a full, rolling boil (212 degrees F)

MSR Stowaway stainless steel 0.3 oz 2 min 38 seconds
    Generic stainless steel 0.3 oz 2 min 22 seconds
    Blue aluminum 0.3 oz 2 min 33 seconds
    MSR Titantitanium 0.3 oz 2 min 34 seconds

Conclusion: Even though aluminum, stainless steel, and titanium have different heat transfer properties, no significant differences were observed for boiling times and fuel consumption between the different materials for the pots tested and stove used. Unsubstantiated claims to the contrary receive (fanfare & cheering) the [profanely bogus] award.

Weight, cost, and design should be at the forefront of your cookware research. Another equally important conclusion you should consider is that well-meaning people often spread misinformation on internet message boards with regard to the performance or drawbacks of gear."

Default You need a myth to debunk a myth...

I never heard that one pot boils faster than another.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I never heard that one pot boils faster than another.
    A small round pot takes longer then a big round. 4in. is longer 8in. is faster i know i boil water ever night on lots of stoves like a whole work shop full

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    A small round pot takes longer then a big round. 4in. is longer 8in. is faster i know i boil water ever night on lots of stoves like a whole work shop full
    OK, then I guess the myth isn't debunked.

Not to stir the pot, but doesn't aluminum spread the heat better than titanium, therefore my omelet comes out much better in my aluminum pan?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Not to stir the pot, but doesn't aluminum spread the heat better than titanium, therefore my omelet comes out much better in my aluminum pan?

Make a frittata; much tastier...

No word if ti vs alum has an effect...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The physics (for boiling water - not cooking an omelet):

The rate of heat flow (how fast the heat will go from the 'hot air' under the pot to the 'cold liquid in the pot) is the Thermal Conductivity of the material x the area x Delta Temp Divided by the thickness of the material.

Or dQ/dt = k times A times dT divided by x

Assume the same size pot and the same thickness pot then time difference is just the ratio of thermal conductivities.

thermal conductivity of Al alloy 7075 = 120 W/m/deg C
    thermal conductivity of Ti (various alloys)= 17 to 7.5 W/m/deg C = 13 W/m/deg C

So, a pot with the same thickness bottom and same area made out of titanium would take 9 times longer to heat.

However, as everyone knows, the titanium pot is MUCH thinner. How much thinner? It needs to be 1/9th as thin to make up for the heat transfer problem.

The real world test is interesting, and it does seem to be that there is very little difference in the end.

However, from the simple physics, as was suggested, pick the pot with the largest surface area.

Gravity

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

pssst..we are just making mac n' cheese on small backpacking stoves.

Does it really matter?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

All i got to say

Man play with fire man get burnt

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    pssst..we are just making mac n' cheese on small backpacking stoves.

Does it really matter?
    Checking my menu: Omelets, pancakes, quesadillas, steaks, sausages, special rice/chicken/spices/soup/onion dinner. Um, no mac n' cheese - thank god.

Images

Checking my menu: Omelets, pancakes, quesadillas, steaks, sausages, special rice/chicken/spices/soup/onion dinner. Um, no mac n' cheese - thank god.
    Do not slander the mighty mac n' cheese!!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Do not slander the mighty mac n' cheese!!!!
    No need, it is self slandering.

Images

I hear that makes you go blind!

There are all kinds of myths that people take for law that aren’t true.

People believe that a microwave cooks from the inside out, this is false. In order for the center to cook, the micro waves of energy have to go through the outside of food to cook the inside. Simple experiment, put a piece of bread in a microwave and set the timer for 20-min and watch what part burns first.

As far as camping cookware I have used Stainless Steel for 25-years, because it’s easier to keep clean. Don’t really care about the cook time.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

What isn't being considered is that the heat given off by the cannister stove is overwhelming any differences in heat transfer effects caused by pot compositions. Water in all these pots would boil at practically the same times if placed under a blowtorch.

That being said, where were all these discussions about boil times being influenced by pot compositions? Is the myth just a myth itthelf?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    i second this, as i have observed it with my own two eyes. cookware shape plays an important role in cook time.

maybe, but it'll also make your boobs grow. right MS?

Shape as important to the tone of the pot as material. But what shape cooks the slowest?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    maybe, but it'll also make your boobs grow. right MS?
    No, aluminum causes alzheimer's. You're thinking of Nalgenes.

Get your irrational fears straight.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    cone-shaped, point down.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++