WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pad replacement

Images

Default Pad replacement

I'm looking to replace my pad very soon. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with the following pads,,, Thanks for any infomation...

1. Big Agnes insulated air core. 24oz. Temp rate 15deg.
    2. Thermarest Prolite 4. 1.5" thick. 24oz. Rvalue=3.2
    3. Thermarest TrailPro. 2" thick. 32oz Rvalue=3.8

Catch-Up
    Images

I went nobo in 2006 with a BA insulated air-core.....

Pros
    -They are so comfortable to sleep on after a hard day of hiking....I havent felt anything comparible.
    -They pack down to a very nice size, very managable, no strapping a large rolled up pad to the outside of your pack.
    -Keeps you warm on cold nights, with 1.5 inches of air between you and the ground.

Cons
    -Must be very careful not to puncture....leaks happen....I had one occur halfway through my trip, and BA replaced it.....but i slept on solid ground for 7-8 nights....
    -Blowing up at the end of a long day can be real dreadful after a while...so I would put 5-10 breathes in it at a time throughout the course of an evening while at camp before bed...

I have since gotten the 3/4 length, and plan to use it on my Long Trail hike this September.

Images

I borrowed a ProLite 4 from a friend for a week and became a convert. Light, comfortable, durable, and easy to set up.

Cons? The foam must be made of platinum because they are expensive as hell. I'm still saving my pennies for one, though.

For me, a side sleeper, 6' 175#, the TR's that are 1.5" thick have too little margin for my hips hitting the ground unless they are blown up to the max. 2" pad I own, older model, been great. I got a BA insulated one last year and like it better, but for me, i cant sleep on it below 30 degrees without extra insulation. I freeze. Love it above 30, below, i need some closed cell extra insulation

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarcnNJ View Post
    I went nobo in 2006 with a BA insulated air-core.....

Pros
    -They are so comfortable to sleep on after a hard day of hiking....I havent felt anything comparible.
    -They pack down to a very nice size, very managable, no strapping a large rolled up pad to the outside of your pack.
    -Keeps you warm on cold nights, with 1.5 inches of air between you and the ground.

Cons
    -Must be very careful not to puncture....leaks happen....I had one occur halfway through my trip, and BA replaced it.....but i slept on solid ground for 7-8 nights....
    -Blowing up at the end of a long day can be real dreadful after a while...so I would put 5-10 breathes in it at a time throughout the course of an evening while at camp before bed...

I have since gotten the 3/4 length, and plan to use it on my Long Trail hike this September.
    Ditto to all this - used it in 2007, but I really didn't have any issue blowing it up at the end of the day. Guess I got used to it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I have a BA Air Core and I agree completely with the comments above. Everything is great about it except it's puncturability and having to blow it up.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    . . . Cons? The foam must be made of platinum because they are expensive as hell . . .
    Ain't that the ever lovin' truth.

Images

I bought the Prolite 4 as soon as it came out. It's the only way I can get a comfortable night's sleep on the Trail (unless I use my H****ck.) I've never had a puncture or pinhole. .
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wife and I thrued in 2005 with Prolite 3. Thought they were fine until...

Got my wife the BA insulated one. WOW! I need one of those! Worth the 4 oz!

Images

Thanks for all the info... I've been thinking about going with the BA ins. The only thing that concerns me is air leakage. During the very cold months I wonder if an extra 3/8" or 1/2" foam pad is needed under the BA.

Quote Originally Posted by MDH111 View Post
    Thanks for all the info... I've been thinking about going with the BA ins. The only thing that concerns me is air leakage. During the very cold months I wonder if an extra 3/8" or 1/2" foam pad is needed under the BA.
    I double up under my Prolite 4 as well in the winter. I like mine, it's adequate for side-sleeping, but I'm not a dedicated side sleeper.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I have a pro-lite 4 large, that I bought used. It holds air quite well, but does not self inflate very well. It is too big for my ray-way pack. I'm asking $60 shipped, including a homemade orange stuff sack.

MD, if you go with the BA and then some closed cell extra pad for winter/cold camping, IMO, the closed cell goes on top of the BA, not under it. The air in the BA is what is cold, and you want to insulate yourself from that. Putting it on the ground doesn't do that. This works well for me, anyway. And if I am boy scout camping, i bring my BA and TR combo, princess and the pea in the winter, lol.

Images

I own both a prolite 4 and a BA insulated air core and in my opinion the BA pad is much more comfortable. (blowing it up sucks after 12 miles on the trail), but its worth the comfort.

Images

It sounds like the BA insulated air core is cold during the colder months. Thats when I'm out there the most. Maybe I just need to save and fork out my life savings for the Exped DownMat9. Its 33.2oz with an Rvalue 8. Just expensive as $#%... $150.

From what I have learned the BA pad is more comfortable than the Thermarest Prolite 4, but more prone to puncture. Almost all the reviews I read gave a thumbs up to the Prolite 4 , and, originally planning to hike with the thin closed cell blue foam pad, I bought the prolite 4 reg. I haven't used it in the field yet, but it appears to be decent quality, self inflates good, and with just a couple of added puffs, fills right up.

Images

I have no doubt that an air mat of any kind is more comfortable, but the disadvantage is more prone to puncture and if that happens then all you can do is gather mother natures padding. I’m a side sleeper so that’s why I considered the BA and the TR TrailPro. What I like so much about Prolite4 Reg is the weight and very compact. They are all good,,, just making that one choice… fficeffice" />>>

Quote Originally Posted by MDH111 View Post
    I have no doubt that an air mat of any kind is more comfortable, but the disadvantage is more prone to puncture and if that happens then all you can do is gather mother natures padding. I’m a side sleeper so that’s why I considered the BA and the TR TrailPro. What I like so much about Prolite4 Reg is the weight and very compact. They are all good,,, just making that one choice… fficeffice" />>>
    I think it be best to go with your gut instinct and fork out your life savings for the Exped#9, otherwise you may be seriously dissapointed when you hear that giant sucking sound!

Images

BA insulated airmat owner here. i really like it and haven't had any leaking problems to date. it's the most comfy thing i've laid on - works for me to side sleep. haven't had it out in the super cold yet though so i can't comment on the insultation. i carry a small piece of blue foam all the time anyway for a # of reasons and could use it as a sleep pad in emergency if my pad developed too many leaks for me to patch. i recommend it. it does have a tendancy to slide in the tent if you're not pitched on level ground.

I hiked last year using a BA and it was great, just a pain to inflate everyday. As far a leaks go, a small one can be patched just by smearing some superglue over the area while deflated, works perfect and holds up. plus they come with a patchkit as well, unlike the themarest.
    "The best way to spend your life is to build something that will outlast it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++