WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear bags

Default Bear bags

Hello. My question is about bear bags. What is the best thing to use for one (bear bag that is). I have heard of some people using a waterproof stuff sack and just hanging it from a tree, and then I have seen the plastic, lockable, "bear proof" boxes, but d*mn that seems like a lot of weight to carry (the plastice ones that is). Thanks

Images

I use a waterproof stuff sack that has a strap on the bottom end. I hang the bag from the bottom end so there is no chance of water getting in the top.

The bear vaults you note are really for out west or in treeless areas.

Just a water roof bag from Walmart, they also have a nice Nylon rope to hang it with. Never have a problem with water because I put each days food in a separate baggie.

I use a stuff sack, always have, If it's raining real hard sometimes I'll put my black trashbag around it, but otherwise I usually have all my food in plastic bags, waterproofed so it doesn't matter if the stuff sack gets wet.

Walmart sells a package of three silnylon stuff sacks that have a dry-bag roll top that fastens with a fastex buckle. This provides a hanging loop. the largest of the three will hold 4-5 days of food. Learn the PCT method of hanging your bag, and keep it at least four feet from the tree trunk or squirels will jump from the tree to your food bag and have a feast. I use Gossamer Gear's 725# spectra for a hanging line, it is nice and slick and slides over the bark easily. Mountain Laurel Design also sells a good bag line. Para cord sucks for this application, it gets hung on the bark.

Along the AT, a stuff sack suspended from a tree works just fine.

However, in other places, like the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, bear canisters are now required. Bears figured out how to get bags off the bear lines.

I started using an old, not- waterproof- anymore sleeping bag stuffsack quite a few years ago. Water gets inside, but everything inside is in plastic zip locks, so it's no problem. I burned a hole in the bottom of the bag to let the water out, and haven't had any problems at all.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thumbs up Bag & PCT Method

Yes - I use a large silNylon bag that folds down on itself and buckles together for a waterproof solution that is lightweight. I also recommend using the PCT method for hanging. Here is one site that shows how:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

As long as you get the bag up high enough - it will be nearly impossible for a bear or any other critter to get to it, and this should be all you need to do on the east coast.

I use a Bearikade canister for out west and where canisters are required - they are the lightest ones but still add a couple pounds to the pack. One nice thing about the Bearikade is that it makes a nice camp stool to sit on for cooking/booting up, etc.:

http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html
    -deliriousNomad

Images

i follow pretty much what nomad said. pct method and my food (and cookpot/cup/spork/toiletries) go into a #4 OR dry sack

Probably dumb question, but can't mice run down the cord and get into the food sack? Maybe I'm paranoid because of not too much experience with being back East.

Default PCT Method...

Quote Originally Posted by robmurphy View Post
    Probably dumb question, but can't mice run down the cord and get into the food sack? Maybe I'm paranoid because of not too much experience with being back East.
    With the PCT method you hang the bag over a high tree limb. it would be several feet down from the limb, several feet away from the tree, and several feet from the ground. I've never heard of a mouse, or really any other critters getting to the food sack when hung this way...

Has anyone run into problems with the PCT method for hanging?
    -deliriousNomad

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I always just use a waterproof stuff sack myself. I think those plastic bear boxes are more for car camping than anything. I know I wouldn't want to carry one.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Delirious Nomad View Post
    With the PCT method you hang the bag over a high tree limb. it would be several feet down from the limb, several feet away from the tree, and several feet from the ground. I've never heard of a mouse, or really any other critters getting to the food sack when hung this way...

Has anyone run into problems with the PCT method for hanging?
    If you hang it too close to the tree trunk, a squirrel can jump from the trunk to the food bag, I learned this the hard way.

I agree that the PCT method with a waterproof, seam taped, roll down stuff sack is the best way to go for hanging food. I've never had a problem using this method, and I can't see how a bear could get to your food if you do it correctly.

I used this method at Walnut Mountain Shelter earlier this year and our food was fine, where as people who camped a mile back to "avoid the bear" got raided, and when I started into Hot Springs the next morning I saw two food bags scattered along the trail. So hikers in front and back of us got hit - our food was fine, the PCT method is brilliant, you just need to remember to use a pretty high limb.

Images

what happens when you can't throw to save your life, or your food? I'm a girl with a terrible throwing arm. I camped by myself and tried to hang a bear bag, I was unsuccessful, fortunately there were no bears in that area. Hopefully there will be other people hanging on my thru. Any suggestions? take up baseball?

You don't have to be a profession baseball player to throw a rock over a limb... it might look great to have a fast throw but a nice underhand toss will be more affective and not place emphasis on your lack of throwing ability. Though from the sounds of the trail for us next year I am sure you will always have one of us around to help out... see you in the spring.

Default Ursack alternative

a potential alternative would be an Ursack:

http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

I've not used one myself, but read from others that they seem to work well.
    -deliriousNomad

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    what happens when you can't throw to save your life, or your food? I'm a girl with a terrible throwing arm. I camped by myself and tried to hang a bear bag, I was unsuccessful, fortunately there were no bears in that area. Hopefully there will be other people hanging on my thru. Any suggestions? take up baseball?
    You simply swing the rock sack ib about two feet of bag line underhand and time the release to toss it over the limb, it does take a little practice. You should practice this before your trip. I never take more than 2-3 throws. This won't work if you are directly under the limb, you have to be far enough back to provide a proper arc of trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    The easiest way that I know of to get the rope over a tree limb is to use a soda bottle (typically used as a water bottle) - adjust the weight of the bottle by drinking some of the water or pouring some water into the bottle, tie the rope onto the neck of the bottle (easier to tie than around a rock), and then throw the bottle overhand by hanging onto the neck of the bottle and give the bottle a good wrist snap at the end of the throw - this tends to be easier and more accurate than any other method that I have come across. Note soda bottles are tough so the is very very little danger to the bottle breaking or getting a hole. BTW the knot I generally use for this application is the constrictor knot - holds very well for this application.

Images

hm, thanks. I'll have to try some of these methods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++