WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default question about springer mountain/thru-hiker statistics

Here's my question: Does anyone have access to the documentation (or is it online anywhere that I can look at it) regarding numbers - specifically, how many thru-hikers left springer mountain on each day last year?

I know over a thousand start there each year, and I know there are statistics for completion of the whole thing, and I know the late March/early April is when the majority starts, but what I'm really curious is about is each specific day, how many people started off. Can anyone help me out with this?

That data does not exist to the best of my knowledge. Call Laurie Potteiger at ATC. She would be the one to know - if the data in fact exists. I think the best the ATC can offer is general trends regarding start numbers.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

there are no accurate stats

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there are no accurate stats
    90% statistics can be faked...half the time....haha. I love that commerical.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Yeah... I already hecked that link out but thank you. Thanks guys. I kind of figured that would be the answer. I know it's an overly specific question

But figure that 'special days' and weekends will be the highest number.

March 1, April 1, Solstice

Starting midweek and not around the previous dates will be a more 'sane' time.

However, it can be a lot of fun starting on a special date too. People tend to spread out between Hawk and Springer on those days too. Seems a lot more are at Hawk than Springer for there 1st night out these days...

Default Agreed, GM...

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    But figure that 'special days' and weekends will be the highest number.

March 1, April 1, Solstice

Starting midweek and not around the previous dates will be a more 'sane' time.

However, it can be a lot of fun starting on a special date too. People tend to spread out between Hawk and Springer on those days too. Seems a lot more are at Hawk than Springer for there 1st night out these days...
    I started my 2006 thruhike on Feb. 14th. About half the time when someone asked me what day I started, and I answered "February 14th", they would pipe up with, "Oh, Valentine's Day!". I enjoyed then volunteering "Oh, yes, the holiday all men think should be moved to February 29th.". Virtually all guys, and about 3/5 of the women, thought that was funny; take your own guess as to the ones that didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by skinny minnie View Post
    Here's my question: Does anyone have access to the documentation (or is it online anywhere that I can look at it) regarding numbers - specifically, how many thru-hikers left springer mountain on each day last year?

I know over a thousand start there each year, and I know there are statistics for completion of the whole thing, and I know the late March/early April is when the majority starts, but what I'm really curious is about is each specific day, how many people started off. Can anyone help me out with this?

I thought the Georgia ridge runner, Many Sleeps, kept pretty good statistics. I'm sure not 100% accurate, but might be good enough for government work.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    I started my 2006 thruhike on Feb. 14th. About half the time when someone asked me what day I started, and I answered "February 14th", they would pipe up with, "Oh, Valentine's Day!". I enjoyed then volunteering "Oh, yes, the holiday all men think should be moved to February 29th.". Virtually all guys, and about 3/5 of the women, thought that was funny; take your own guess as to the ones that didn't...
    That's pretty good!

What Speer Carrier said.

Images

The caretaker at Springer keeps a number of stats on hiker counts: Number of day hikers vs thru hikers vs weekenders, coming from the approach trail vs FS42, etc. But he is onsite 10 days and then off for 4, so he doesn't have a total count. But you could use those numbers and extrapolate. As mentioned, Laurie P. would be the person to contact for detailed numbers. The folks at Mountain Crossings collect some statistics, too, so you might want to contact them and see what they have.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thought Amicalola vistor center did keep count for those starting via the Approach trail (we signed in there). And the ridgerunner on top of Springer (though he was not there when we came through last year).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I thought Amicalola vistor center did keep count for those starting via the Approach trail (we signed in there).
    most don't go there

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    most don't go there

Really? Most? A shame...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Really? Most? A shame...
    the AT doesn't start there

Images

Default approach

hiked it once won't do it again, go to springer from the fire road, ditch your pack, hike to springer, shake Many Sleeps hand and start the walk

++ New Posts ++