WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Skipping approach trail

I am currently planning a thru-hike and was wondering about taking a taxi service out of Gainsville to bring me up the FS Road 42 to the point of departure where it is only like a 1 mile hike back south to get to Springer Mountain. I was wondering if other's have done this, and will I have difficulty getting taxi service up the forest service road to this point of departure. Thanks

A taxi is probably not licensed to take you up FS 42. Josh or Leigh at HikerHostel.com pick hikers up in Gainesville all the time, and drop them off at Amicalola or at FS42. That's a much better bet.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

You might want to contact Josh and Leigh Saint:

http://hikerhostel.com/
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Your trigger finger is faster than mine, Mowgli.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

People do it all the time. This particular topic can generate some controversy among hikers, though, so just be aware of that.

Me, I liked the approach trail. Others didn't. It's your hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I am currently planning a thru-hike and was wondering about taking a taxi service out of Gainsville to bring me up the FS Road 42 to the point of departure where it is only like a 1 mile hike back south to get to Springer Mountain. I was wondering if other's have done this, and will I have difficulty getting taxi service up the forest service road to this point of departure. Thanks
    contact josh and leigh like others have said and ignore anyone that tells you to do the approach trail

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    This particular topic can generate some controversy among hikers, though, so just be aware of that.
    I would insert the word insecure before the word hikers in the above sentence, to make it more accurately reflect reality.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I would insert the word insecure before the word hikers in the above sentence, to make it more accurately reflect reality.
    that got me laughing...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

the approach trail is no big deal, just do it your about to hike so many miles anyway. I dont see what the problem is, if your complaining about a measley 7 miles then you should not be out there. I have done it myself and dont see a problem, its not even really that strenuous.

Images

You don't say why you're skipping the approach. If it's because of the hype about how difficult it is, you are misinformed. It is no more difficult than any other "tough" section of the trail.

If you simply don't want to hike it, your choice. 7 miles really makes NO difference in the whole picture here. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    the approach trail is no big deal, just do it your about to hike so many miles anyway. I dont see what the problem is, if your complaining about a measley 7 miles then you should not be out there. I have done it myself and dont see a problem, its not even really that strenuous.
    Because the approach trail sucks, that's why.

I've always had the thought that THE AT should begin at Amicalola State Park. Let it begin and end inside a State Park.
    Moses

Images

The Approach Trail is completely optional, of course. One good reason to skip it is that you're pressed for time (on a section).

If you're making a, presumably, one-time visit to the area, to start the AT, I would not skip the Approach Trail, though. It's kind of cool to visit Amicalola Falls SP, see the exhibits in the visitors' center, write an entry in the log book, talk to the rangers, etc. The Approach Trail itself is not all that difficult, unless you are very out of shape and/or inexperienced. If that's the case, you might as well do the Approach Trail as part of your education. It's not any more boring than hundreds, nay thousands, of actual AT miles.

At this point, when I consider skipping something, I ask myself how likely I am to regret it later on. Will it nag at me that I haven't seen something lots of other people talk or write about?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Default Great tip.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    A taxi is probably not licensed to take you up FS 42. Josh or Leigh at HikerHostel.com pick hikers up in Gainesville all the time, and drop them off at Amicalola or at FS42. That's a much better bet.
    Great tip! I'll make a note of it as well as pass it on to a friend who is starting a thru-hike next spring.

Default Not to mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ignore anyone that tells you to do the approach trail
    Or any particular state (PA, NY during drought times, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Or any particular state (PA, NY during drought times, etc.)
    DapperD asked about taxi service to FS 42. that's all. stay on topic

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    DapperD asked about taxi service to FS 42. that's all. stay on topic

oh my LW is NOW a moderater
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    You don't say why you're skipping the approach. If it's because of the hype about how difficult it is, you are misinformed. It is no more difficult than any other "tough" section of the trail.

If you simply don't want to hike it, your choice. 7 miles really makes NO difference in the whole picture here. Have a great time.
    I have been planning a thru-hike for a very long time and I always planned on doing the approach trail, however recently I read in the AT Journeys magazine that the approach trail has been relocated in a way that causes the beginning thru-hiker to climb something like 425 steps to get them up above the falls. I just feel that for myself it would be better to avoid an immediate climb like this and start out on the AT itself since I know it is going to be tough and I am in acceptance of this, but I can't see doing all these stairs and work and it doesn't even count as far as milage is concerned, let alone the effort output.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    oh my LW is NOW a moderater
    nope. the guy asked a simple question.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I have been planning a thru-hike for a very long time and I always planned on doing the approach trail, however recently I read in the AT Journeys magazine that the approach trail has been relocated in a way that causes the beginning thru-hiker to climb something like 425 steps to get them up above the falls. I just feel that for myself it would be better to avoid an immediate climb like this and start out on the AT itself since I know it is going to be tough and I am in acceptance of this, but I can't see doing all these stairs and work and it doesn't even count as far as milage is concerned, let alone the effort output.
    Thats the section I maintain. It starts at the Visitors Center and ends at the top of the falls. I don't have very many water bars to clean, but I do have to watch out for termites in the steps.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++