WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Keeping fleas and ticks of dogs on the trail

What has everyone found to be the best way for keeping fleas and ticks of your dog on the trail?

Images

Yep. One word: Frontliine. As long as I keep that on my mutt he does just fine. Forgot it once and had to pull a couple of ticks off of him.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Agree, Frontline works great.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Keeps them off or it keeps them from latching on?

Images

Nothing will keep them off unless you put a space suit on your dog. Frontline is the best thing currently on the market for flea and tick protection.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Default perhaps I was misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    Keeps them off or it keeps them from latching on?
    When my dog used frontline, I agree it works; however unless I was misinformed ... it's my understanding they still get on the dog but after the first bite are killed. In other words, doesn't 'repel' but rather kill after a bite and also does kill larvae, eggs. I will also add, in 'my' opinion from actual experience the generic brands do not work as well. It must be applied correctly though by 'parting the hair' on the back of the neck (don't put it on top of the hair).

Quote Originally Posted by adventurousmtnlvr View Post
    When my dog used frontline, I agree it works; however unless I was misinformed ... it's my understanding they still get on the dog but after the first bite are killed. In other words, doesn't 'repel' but rather kill after a bite and also does kill larvae, eggs. I will also add, in 'my' opinion from actual experience the generic brands do not work as well. It must be applied correctly though by 'parting the hair' on the back of the neck (don't put it on top of the hair).
    I'll agree, and that's what my vet told me. The generic brands, though cheaper, don't work near as well. Spend the bucks, it's worth it. Kills ear mites, too.

Images

I put this out there before on this topic. I goto my local FEED store an get a cattle tag, cut it up into 1 inch squares an cut a hole in it, put it on my dogs collar, an a due the same for me I attach it around my anckle Just have be careful on your dogs weight isssue. I have a 30 pound corgi, he has not got sick yet for me I am 170 pnds. So i use a Half of a tag. I also use front line on my dog but they still get on him they just dont stick. The tag keeps them from even coming close. My VET is the one that taught me the trick.

Images

Frontline & Comfortis

Quote Originally Posted by notorius tic View Post
    I put this out there before on this topic. I goto my local FEED store an get a cattle tag, cut it up into 1 inch squares an cut a hole in it, put it on my dogs collar, an a due the same for me I attach it around my anckle Just have be careful on your dogs weight isssue. I have a 30 pound corgi, he has not got sick yet for me I am 170 pnds. So i use a Half of a tag. I also use front line on my dog but they still get on him they just dont stick. The tag keeps them from even coming close. My VET is the one that taught me the trick.
    What is the brand name of this tag? Thank you

Default Keeping fleas and ticks off dogs on the trail

I wore smart wool socks when I went through those fields in 2000. The ticks accumulated around my ankles in the top part of the sock I fold over. It was common to find about 20 or 30 of them at a time.
    Now I use PRoMeris for dogs on Winter per the Vet.

Images

What's the active ingredient in these cattle tags? Guess my status as a city boy is showing, because I've never heard of them before.

Images

Has anyone ever known anyone who has lyme disease?

Oh yes, you can't live around this part of Connecticut without either having had it or knowing those who have. Lyme and also Erlichiosis.

Speaking of the latter, I met a thru hiker named Rue on a recent section hike. She was just back on the trail after getting off for treatment for what turned out to be Erlichiosis. This tick-borne disease is not as common as Lyme, but the good news about it is once you recover its over. It doesn't have the potential to recur as does Lyme.

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

I contracted Lyme in VA, but got treatment immediately. My dog is positive for Ehrlichiosis, from any of dozens of ticks he picks up within a few miles of my home.

I use Frontline Plus but will investigate the cattle tag at SS.

Thanks for the info!

Frau

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    What is the brand name of this tag? Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    What's the active ingredient in these cattle tags? Guess my status as a city boy is showing, because I've never heard of them before.
    y'all, be careful before you go playing around with those. they're made for 1000 lb animals and they're mainly for fly control. they don't put them on humans for a reason, no matter who told you what.

Default Keeping fleas and ticks of dogs on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Oh yes, you can't live around this part of Connecticut without either having had it or knowing those who have. Lyme and also Erlichiosis.

Speaking of the latter, I met a thru hiker named Rue on a recent section hike. She was just back on the trail after getting off for treatment for what turned out to be Erlichiosis. This tick-borne disease is not as common as Lyme, but the good news about it is once you recover its over. It doesn't have the potential to recur as does Lyme.
    Yup, my mother had Lyme disease. She lived in Lyme, Ct and was one of the early cases diagnosed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    y'all, be careful before you go playing around with those. they're made for 1000 lb animals and they're mainly for fly control. they don't put them on humans for a reason, no matter who told you what.
    Um, yeah. I'm getting that the cattle tags are right nasty, and shouldn't be handled w/o gloves, etc.

I'm voting against this option. Better stuff out there.

I use Advantage and found this useful. I didn't care for Frontline as I found that with a heavy flea and/or tick season, frontline will only last for 2-3 weeks. I discussed this with my vet as well and she told me this is a common complaint with Frontline.

However, Advantage has some disadvantages too (no pun intended) as neither one prevents fleas or ticks (especially ticks as they pose certain health risks as fleas in small numbers are more of a nuisance) from landing on your dog. Which can lead to human festation.

What my vet recommended for trail dogs is a horse pesticide to repel ticks, gnats, flies, etc. This can be purchased in a 28 ounce bottle at your local feed store. It is VERY strong stuff and can NOT be used on cats. But highly effective. It will not repel fleas-although I have to admit that I never found a flea on my dogs since I have been using this stuff.

The directions are .5 cc per 50lbs of body weight or .25 per 25lbs of body weight-per my vet. I am reluctant to post the name of this stuff as you really should check with your vet before you apply something like this. When applied-the dogs are stuck outside for 24 hours (as I do have cats). But they always know that when they get the treatment, they are hitting the trail very soon so they aways seem more wild and playful-so maybe that is good.

I find this stuff very effective and yet I have never found a single tick on my dog since I have been using it. It's awesome stuff. Your vet should know what I am talking about-btw-it's a lot cheaper than advantage or frontline and it's about 1.00 an ounce.

Images

Another option: I don't actually use Frontline, but a product from Australia that works just as well. Let me rumble around and see if I can find the website and product name (evidently having my first senior moment! ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++