WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Yeah, there are many sections, especially in the piedmont area around Greensboro, that are "closed to camping." What's the point of having a long distance trail you can't sleep on?? The guidebook is funny about it, or squirrely, cuz when it mentions the area around Brandt Lake(G'boro), for camping it says: Get to the highway somehow(hitchhike?)and get a motel room. Say what?

In places the trail goes right behind houses with dogs barking and kids playing, and I suppose the entire area is a linear city park with the usual no camping rules. Yet I noticed that by going a hundred feet off the trail, well, can anyone say Stealth Camping?
    The camping can be a problem and I made it a point to kind of fix that problem. That is one reason that I decided to hike the trail. So I could physically see what is out there and write down the possibilities in a guidebook. This trail is still rather new and it will take some time to get everybody on board in these areas. It took the Appalachian Trail over 40 years to become as popular as it is now. Keep the faith. And if you have ever thru-hiked the AT then you should be used to stealth camping unless you stayed in every shelter.

Thanks for your efforts Taba. Have you been in touch with my buddy Jeff Brewer? If not, you should be.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default Mountains to Sea Trail

I live 15 minutes from the eastern terminus here on the outer banks. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

What is the MST like in between Pilot Mountain and Falls Lake area? Is it still a lot of road route?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    What is the MST like in between Pilot Mountain and Falls Lake area? Is it still a lot of road route?
    Yes it is all road walk for now. But part of the experience of this journey is the road walk. The MST is a different kind of adventure. Hike it with open eyes and use all your senses.

Mowgli - I have met and talked with Jeff a few times. I am going to be at the annual FMST meeting in Greensboro in February then after the meeting I will be getting ready to hike the MST one more time in 2009 to make sure the information is correct. The trail is changing every year with new reroutes off the road and into the woods. I love watching this trail grow.

Journal Entries

I need directions!!!!!! Taba help me!!!Ive been hiking the Falls lake Trail and would like to thru hike the enitire trail but i cant find any recent map that would be useful. Can anyone give me directions going east???

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by redefined View Post
    I need directions!!!!!! Taba help me!!!Ive been hiking the Falls lake Trail and would like to thru hike the enitire trail but i cant find any recent map that would be useful. Can anyone give me directions going east???
    Redefined look into

Taba's book is a good resource. Lists water locations, hiker support, and camping locations.

Maps: http://www.artshikingmaps.info/. Art Kelley has the most current and up-to-date maps.

Also look at the NatGeo maps for the Smokies, all the Pisgah, and I think 1 for the Nantalhalas.

There is also a map of trails of the Boone area. I forget the name. Maybe Boone NC area Trail Map...

The profile maps of the routes on ncmst.org are good for possible road routes.

The Falls Lake Trail is almost ready to be opened fully to the public. There are some sections that need touching up, blazed, and will need a re-route around Little Lick Creek until the bridge is completed.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 11-22-2010 at 09:31.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Journal Entries

Thank you very much Viking!!

Journal Entries

I am thinking of doing a winter hike/camping trip in the Mt. Mitchell area. My goal is to wait for a really cold weekend and incorporate a summit of Mt. Mitchell into my hike. I was thinking of driving up on a Friday and camping out on Friday/Saturday and hiking back out on Sunday by noon (Since I have about an 8-hour drive). Does anyone have any suggesstions for a loop hike that will let me summitt Mt. Mitchell? Or would I be better off simply parking at the Black Mt Campground and put in a camp in the Commissary Hill area and do day hikes from there. Another option could be to put in somewwhere on Mt. to Sea Trail and having a shuttle driver take me back to my car. I have a fair amount of mountaineering experience so severe weather will not be a big problem for me. Thanks in advance.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapelo View Post
    I am thinking of doing a winter hike/camping trip in the Mt. Mitchell area. My goal is to wait for a really cold weekend and incorporate a summit of Mt. Mitchell into my hike. I was thinking of driving up on a Friday and camping out on Friday/Saturday and hiking back out on Sunday by noon (Since I have about an 8-hour drive). Does anyone have any suggesstions for a loop hike that will let me summitt Mt. Mitchell? Or would I be better off simply parking at the Black Mt Campground and put in a camp in the Commissary Hill area and do day hikes from there. Another option could be to put in somewwhere on Mt. to Sea Trail and having a shuttle driver take me back to my car. I have a fair amount of mountaineering experience so severe weather will not be a big problem for me. Thanks in advance.
    In case of cold weather, the Parkway around Mt. Mitchell usually closes in the case of icy roads and low driving visibility. But you might be able to loop around the ridge tops with the Black Mountain Crest Trail with the Buncombe Horse Trail.

Digger, who works at the ATC Asheville office, mentioned he was planning a loop hike consisting of the Black Mtn Crest Trail, MST, and Big Butt Ridge Trail.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Images

I live next to and often visit the parts of the MST inbetween Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock. while you are at Pilot Mountain, please take an extra 2 hours to hike the grindstone trail, very rewarding once at the summit.

Sent from my personal satellite using stolen Soviet cold war technology

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++