WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best shelters in GSMNP

I am trying to plan whick shelters to stay at in between clingman's Dome and Gregory's Bald. Mainly care about water source and views. Thanks in advance.

the best shelter in the smokies? is the one i just hiked away from

Default Shelters

Quote Originally Posted by valleyfire View Post
    I am trying to plan whick shelters to stay at in between clingman's Dome and Gregory's Bald. Mainly care about water source and views. Thanks in advance.
    How many nights are you planning on?

Images

All the shelters in that area had decent water in late May except Mollies Ridge which was very slow, and I believe is now dry.

Spence Field offers nice views up to Rocky Top/Thunderhead, though the shelter is tucked away into the trees another .2 miles.

My favorite shelter through there is Derrick Knob, one of many with the new style kitchen area and porched roof.

The plexi-glass opened roof provides MUCH more light than most shelters where you're in dim to dark conditions during the day.

Double Spring Gap and Russell Field still use the old chain-link front without the kitchen area and its protecting roof.

These can be pretty depressing and tend to be mice ridden because people cook inside during bad weather. Mice have not been a problem for me on the sleeping platforms in the newer porched versions.

Be advised that most of the shelters on the stretch you're looking at do NOT have privies, but they DO have full-sized spades for digging in the "toilet area", usually marked by many white paper flags conveniently sticking out of the ground...

As you approach the side trail down to Gregory, I will say that Mollies Ridge is a much nicer shelter than Russell Field and would recommend it if the spring is flowing.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by ken209 View Post
    How many nights are you planning on?
    We are hiking three nights. Starting on clingman's dome and ending in Cades Cove

In that stretch of the the trail is there alot of views of the valleys, can you see Cades Cove from the trail?

Images

In that stretch of the the trail is there alot of views of the valleys, can you see Cades Cove from the trail?
    If the weather is good, then Clingman's offers 360 degree views from the tower. You're have several sectional views in the first 2-3 miles. Much of Thunderhead Mountain offers good views, especially the western peak (Rocky Top). From Rocky Top, you can clearly see Cades Cove if the weather is good. You can also get great views from Gregory's Bald.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Default Shelters

We are hiking three nights. Starting on clingman's dome and ending in Cades Cove
    Here is what i would do, 1st nite Derrick Knob shelter, 2nd nite Russell Field ( old shelter), you could push on to Mollies Ridge shelter, as of now no water, 3rd nite Sheep Pen campsite, no shelter there. You will be doing about 9 miles a day.

As of five days ago (Aug. 19, 2008) Mt. Collins and Russell Field shelters were temporarily closed due to bear activity, according to the Backcountry Information Office at GSMNP. So it is worth your while to give them a call (865-436-1297; open 9am-1pm daily, but it is staffed by volunteers so it can be hit and miss whether you reach anyone) shortly before you start your hike. That's what I plan to do for my hike through the park starting Sept. 16.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Spence Field ..whose that coming up eagle hollow and what did u say his name wuz?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I currently like Derrick Knob because the roof is as close to crystal clear as a shelter roof can get.
    Spence is probably my all around fav though, although Mollies is cool because its on the top of a ridge, not the side.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Haven't spent a night in the smokies...but last I heard Mt Collins is closed. But it looks like it has been re-opened.

Mollies Ridge is listed as dry.

Here is copy&paste list of areas with high bear activity from all over the park:
    • Gabes Mountain Trail
    • Laurel Falls Trail
    • Rabbit Creek Trail
    • Ramsey Cascades Trail
    • West Prong Trail
    • Mount Collins Shelter
    • Russell Field Shelter
    • Tricorner Knob Shelter
    • Backcountry Campsites #12, #16, #52 and #113
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Are any of the side trails around that area ones that I shouldn't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by ken209 View Post
    Here is what i would do, 1st nite Derrick Knob shelter, 2nd nite Russell Field ( old shelter), you could push on to Mollies Ridge shelter, as of now no water, 3rd nite Sheep Pen campsite, no shelter there. You will be doing about 9 miles a day.
    Thank you that sounds like a great schedule

Double Springs has just been redone and the bear fence removed. I pushed on to Spence Field, but it looked nice as I passed.

Images

Wow that looks like quite the improvement. Last spring I stayed there during a pretty nasty thunderstorm. As I was getting ready for bed I was reading in my companion only to find out that two hikers were struck by lightning and killed there in 1980. I quickly moved to the bottom.

The next night I stayed at Peck's Corner during an awesome hail storm. It was truly amazing, and the next morning there was so much hail on the ground that it looked like snow.

The old style shelters with the fenced in front are depressing. Nice photos there, Bearpaw.

Double Springs is greatly improved now and but the last time I was there we just skipped and went on to Silers Bald. A Ranger told me they removing all the fence from the shelters as people were leaving food out trying to draw bears while keeping the gate secured.

Anyways it is a great improvement. Water has been a problem in the Smokies the last couple of years but calling ahead will help you plan and make reservations.

I think the only ones left with the bear fences are:

Mt Collins (to be redone in 2009)
    Russell Field (to be redone in 2010)
    Davenport Gap

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    A Ranger told me they removing all the fence from the shelters as people were leaving food out trying to draw bears while keeping the gate secured.

A
    Was this Rangerspeak? You know, park bs to get projects done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++