WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Wapiti Shelter

I was there a couple of days ago, and the pond's dam appears to have washed out. There was orange fence all around the pond and little water in it. It rained pretty hard most of the night and the shelter stayed dry, for which I was thankful. Pringles

Smith was released from prison then shot 2 more hikers and died in jail.

Images

Technically Smith's last victims were fishermen, not hikers, but yeah, he shot two more people after being released.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Other than the mystique of this area due to its history as documented in the posts above, this is a neat area. The shelter is located on a "bench" with lots of level area for setting up tents. I just stayed at this shelter this past weekend, so it being January all the leaves were off the trees. It made it nice and open, and a full moon really lit the area up.

One negative thing is that the picnic table in front of the shelter has been vandalized. There were four boards that made up the table portion, and one of those boards appears to have been torn off and made into a bench near the fire pit.

Stayed here one night last week. There is a brand new picnic table and some of the old planks have been used to set up seats around the fire pit. Plenty of water in this section.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I stayed at Wapiti during a section hike from US 19E to Daleville which I am still doing as I am zeroing at Angel's Rest in Pearisburg, VA right now. I stayed there on Thursday night. I was definitely creeped out by noises not normally heard in the woods including a faint groaning sound and a faint sound of a woman's scream. I will NEVER stay there again but I made it through the night with my marbles still in place. I had read in a post of August 20, 2017 by a user on Guthooks that the shelter was haunted just an hour before my arrival I passed it off as BS but it was NOT BULL****. Definitely something not right going on there.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I was told today that the killer shot 2 more who barely survived and died from injuries he sustained while crashing his vehicle trying to escape police while in jail. This was several years after his release from prison for the Wapiti murders.

The pond is actually just a short walk south.

You are exactly right!

I actually saw this case report today on the ID(investigation discovery) channel.As I recall from the program,he served 15 years and was released,shot the two fisherman at some point after that,and died as a result of a blood clot from injuries incurred while fleeing law enforcement in the truck he stole from one of the fishermen.

At some point they commented that he lived with his mother except for when he went to the national forest to hunt arrowheads.Police did find bloody clothing from the murders in his living space so there is ZERO doubt that he was responsible for the crime.In the second crime,one of the fishermen identified him from a picture on a poster put out by local sheriffs department so there is ZERO doubt he shot the fishermen.

The only problem with the Wapiti shelter is it's too close to some horse trails and the horse riders often go there and trash the place. Come on, your on a damn horse, take your empty beer cans and trash with you!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The only problem with the Wapiti shelter is it's too close to some horse trails and the horse riders often go there and trash the place. Come on, your on a damn horse, take your empty beer cans and trash with you!
    that whole stretch of trail is just strange. and not in a good way. anyone have any idea why its down in a muddy swamp with a horse trail instead of up on the ridge? was it ever?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    that whole stretch of trail is just strange. and not in a good way. anyone have any idea why its down in a muddy swamp with a horse trail instead of up on the ridge? was it ever?
    I'm convinced the entire region is the epicenter of some weird vortex of evil or something. It's damn beautiful, but there has been a lot of tragedy for what is kind of a remote region.
    It is what it is.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++