WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wapiti Shelter

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Default Wapiti Shelter

I noticed that there are no pictures of this shelter. Other than the obvious reason for this are there other reasons there are no photos of this shelter?

Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by papa john
    I noticed that there are no pictures or discussion about this shelter. Other than the obvious reason for this are there other reasons there are no photos of this shelter?

Papa John
    What I recall most vividly about this shelter, is it's close proximity to a nice little pond. The morning walk leading up to the shelter was a very easy one, and a very pleasant one. I had lunch there and moved on.

Sweet Virginia!

Images

I saw that on a USGS arial photo. You didn't go in for a dip?

I saw that on a USGS arial photo. You didn't go in for a dip?
    I swam at the swimming hole about 6-8 miles south of there the night before, so I was swum out. It was early im May anyway, so it wasn't too warm.

Images

nice shelter and a very pretty area around it. Took a long break there on a long slackpack to Pearisburg. Probably a place i'll try to stay at next time. There was a murder there in 1984. Maybe thats why no one wants to take a pic....
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

That's why I was wondering, actually there were 2 murders, a man and a woman who had been hiking together.

I did find some pictures on another website, maybe I can find the original owner and ask permission to post them here.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Might be because it's a tad small and somewhat unmemorable. On the other hand, what I do remember vividly were all the stream crossings leading up to that shelter. Another memory permanently etched into my subconscious was the tree branch that stuck into the ground like a javelin, about 6 inches from my tent. Lot's of trees around that shelter and high likelihood of falling branches in windy weather.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Basic 6-person design with a picnic table and fire pit in the large front yard. Easy walk up a small hill from the Trail, where the fast-rushing creek serves as the water source.

There is a nice tent site by a bend in the creek about a quarter mile south, and a field just north of the shelter (is this where the pond is???).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    There is a nice tent site by a bend in the creek about a quarter mile south, and a field just north of the shelter (is this where the pond is???).
    Decent campsites all around the shelter, as well as some woodpeckers in June 05. If I recall correctly, the pond is just a short bit north. I was surprised to see it, and larger than I expected.
    -Mark

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I can't edit my earlier post...

I now recall that the "bend in the creek" was actually the swimming pond, just south of the shelter. I was surprised to find it here also, and would have stopped there for a swim instead of resting at the shelter if I had known (I was hiking SOBO).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    I can't edit my earlier post...

I now recall that the "bend in the creek" was actually the swimming pond, just south of the shelter. I was surprised to find it here also, and would have stopped there for a swim instead of resting at the shelter if I had known (I was hiking SOBO).
    South of the shelter there was a small pond, looked to be man-made, deeper than it should be naturally. When I passed through, 11/2000, it had a greenish tint to it. The tint seemed like it could be from minerals (maybe something with copper?), not from algae. Seemed like plenty of flat space too.

though it is average size it has an overhang that extends quite a ways out. very memorable to me because I pulled in there in late feb in a downpour and even the heavy rain and mist didn't breach the perimeter. Also this shelter was beautifully created by the local forestery service with local hand-hewed logs. it is sad that within weeks of it's creation such a ghastly occurence would stigmatize it.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Yup. Double murder.

Default Murders

If I recall, the murders took palce at the original Wapiti Shelter, somewhat south and almost on the gravel road that comes up the valley. There was a blue blaze trail, at one time, that cut over to it. That shelter has since been torn down. Does that sound right?
    Kerosene Charlie

Images

There is some controversy about that. In the book, they talk about how the new shelter had just been built and how the soon-to-be-murdered girl had talked to one of the volunteers that had been up there working on the shelter.

FWIW, according to WF, he says it was at the old shelter.
    Papa John

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Question ?

There is some controversy about that. In the book, they talk about how the new shelter had just been built and how the soon-to-be-murdered girl had talked to one of the volunteers that had been up there working on the shelter.

FWIW, according to WF, he says it was at the old shelter.
    Who is WF?

I recall the same from the book.....
    Be Prepared

Images

WF is Wingfoot.
    Papa John

Default the story as told to me

I belive WF is wrong ( ...but then so could I.) I stayed at a Perisburg trail angels house in '03, '04, '05 and on the last year It just so happened that that one of the builders was there and she recounted the story to me. As it goes the Forestry Service was in charge of building the shelter (I'm not sure what part the ATC had if any) so they cut local trees and what not to build the shelter. They were happy with their construction as I'm sure anyone who builds one would be and when they finished after a couple of weeks they all got together to take a group photo. In the next few days the couple was murdered. A kind of manhunt went on to recount who saw who in that area by anyone and names were taken. After the previously mentioned photo was developed one of the workers noticed a face in the group that didn't belong...it was the murderer!!!!

this story is almost as wild as J.D.'s (a missing '05 PCT hiker) pack being found this year in San Jaciento by two lost day hikers who live on it for three days but doesn't have a good ending as such. also one other footnote, they belive there were two murderers but they could only pin it on the one guy.

Default the story as told to me

I belive WF is wrong ( ...but then so could I.) I stayed at a Perisburg trail angels house in '03, '04, '05 and on the last year It just so happened that that one of the builders was there and she recounted the story to me. As it goes the Forestry Service was in charge of building the shelter (I'm not sure what part the ATC had if any) so they cut local trees and what not to build the shelter. They were happy with their construction as I'm sure anyone who builds one would be and when they finished after a couple of weeks they all got together to take a group photo. In the next few days the couple was murdered. A kind of manhunt went on to recount who saw who in that area by anyone and names were taken. After the previously mentioned photo was developed one of the workers noticed a face in the group that didn't belong...it was the murderer!!!!

this story is almost as wild as J.D.'s (a missing '05 PCT hiker) pack being found this year in San Jaciento by two lost day hikers who live on it for three days but doesn't have a good ending as such. also one other footnote, they belive there were two murderers but they could only pin it on the one guy.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post Wapiti II - Memorial Day 2006

Finally got to see the lay of the land of the double murder.

Wapiti II is small, comfortably fitting only 5. Good thing there was plenty of room for the 8 tents that camped out.

I was trying to figure out which way Randall Lee (the murderer) came in, but agree that that trail is no longer maintained.

Water source is very good....
    Be Prepared

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++