WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cost to hike AT

Default cost to hike AT

was curious if anyone would have an idea of how much $$$$ it would take to thru hike the AT southbound. i was wondering how much money I should need to save before the start next spring ?

Quote Originally Posted by hoozr View Post
    was curious if anyone would have an idea of how much $$$$ it would take to thru hike the AT southbound. i was wondering how much money I should need to save before the start next spring ?
    i've been hearing a dollor a mile for so many years,you'll hear alot of opionions on cost. IMO for a standard thru would be 2.25 dollors a mile(i've said two dollors a mile for the last 6-8 years,but in the last year everythings gone way up)with most/to all your gear purchased already.(alot of hikers make small adjustments to thier gear in route,which cost money) this allows for restraunts and treats hostels and some motels. (4,896.45 my count for a good but not way over the top hike)i've known hikers that spent anywhere from 1,500.00 to 7,500.00 alot varies how many zerodays how much drinking,motels sightseeing in cities on the way(washington,n.y.boston) i have always spent at least 3,900.00 hoozr sounds like you caught the bug-HAVE A GREAT HIKE

anyway even if i was a little high on the amount? i think i'd rather plan a little higher and have some cash left after the hike. than plan low and run out. i've hiked both ways it sucks to run out or low on cash. if you can pack a little more away it wouldn't hurt...

I've calculated about $1800 for gear, and about $2 a mile. I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.

EDIT: I WILL NOT BE STAYING IN THE HOTELS BUT I WILL USE AND PAY FOR AMENITIES SUCH AS A SHOWER AND LAUNDRY
    Last edited by SurferNerd; 08-24-2008 at 19:52. Reason: Needed it
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

$1800 will buy a lot of great gear. If you shop wisely you should come in way under that. A lot of end of season sales going on now, Labor Day, and just after.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    $1800 will buy a lot of great gear. If you shop wisely you should come in way under that. A lot of end of season sales going on now, Labor Day, and just after.
    Ya, your not kidding there. The REI sale for Labor Day just took $800 of my fine paycheck. It's actually $1800 guesstimate, I'm always changing and finding better deals. That $800 bought the majority of my gear, minus clothes and some misc items. And I'm using a Gregory Z55 with a HS tarptent, titanium everything, and keeping it around 20lbs minus food, water, and fuel.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    I've calculated about $1800 for gear, and about $2 a mile. I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.
    why no restaurants? alot of good buffets in the south to keep you fueled up.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    why no restaurants? alot of good buffets in the south to keep you fueled up.
    True there are, but one of the reasons behind my hike is to keep the treehugger aspect, not living town to town. I'll prob scarf a Shoney's here and there, but I'm out doing this to enjoy the wild and nature. As for hostels, besides taking a shower, a ride to gear up, or a MAJOR storm approaching, I don't see the need or desire to use them.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

True there are, but one of the reasons behind my hike is to keep the treehugger aspect, not living town to town. I'll prob scarf a Shoney's here and there, but I'm out doing this to enjoy the wild and nature. As for hostels, besides taking a shower, a ride to gear up, or a MAJOR storm approaching, I don't see the need or desire to use them.
    thats cool, with your 2 dollor per mile cost goal. you'll have a good hike and be able to grub in town anytime you want. alot of hikers money is spent on hostels and drinking beer, i don't use hostels very often either(on thru hikes)or zero at the bar. i hiked pretty much solo with my dog over the years we got a motel once in awhile and i'd hit the buffets if she was in the room. if we were just passing thru i'd get our food and eat outside with her. she never turned down cheeseburgers. have a great hike

2010 complete

A hiker I met last year calculated the cost by the # of town stops. lodging, meals & resupply.

$1 a mile still works if you consider that those 1978 dollars and adjust 230% for inflation.

Default Hostels...

I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.
    Where are you going to take showers, then? You will almost certainly want to shower the same time as you do laundry, and there aren't many other places along the way any cheaper than hostels for taking care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Where are you going to take showers, then? You will almost certainly want to shower the same time as you do laundry, and there aren't many other places along the way any cheaper than hostels for taking care of that.
    Read 3 posts up. I won't be STAYING in the hostels, but will pay for the showers and laundry usage.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.
    You will be missing some of the best parts of the trail community if you don't see any hostels... and while you should hike your own hike, I sure wouldn't want to do it without any restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    You will be missing some of the best parts of the trail community if you don't see any hostels...
    i disagee with that

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

No matter how disciplined you may or may not be, I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time passing up the call of hot chow not served in a plastic bag or having to be cooked by you. I've only done a few sections, and won't pass up town food when I get to then end of my hike. But hey, to each their own.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

in post #9 sufernerd already answered he'll hit up a restaurant every now and then. when he gets the food mood he might care to frequent the restorantes more than he thought

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    in post #9 sufernerd already answered he'll hit up a restaurant every now and then. when he gets the food mood he might care to frequent the restorantes more than he thought
    Methinks yer right, Crumbsnatcher.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

there are alot of ways to waste money on a thruhike! but i never considered any type of grubbing to be a waste. wether it was store bought, mcdonalds doller menu or the occasional more expensive restaurants!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++