WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mary Jane Farm meals and night time temperatures.

I am planning to hike some of the Appalachian Trail for a week and wanted to know if anyone has tried the Mary Jane Farm meals? If so, what meals would you suggest? If you have a better suggestion of meal types, please advise.

Also, what is the night time temperature in early May around Clingman's Dome?

Thank you

Hombre

Never tried the meals, but...

According the the official website for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the average overnight low on top of Clingmans Dome in May is 43*F. The average low in April in 34*F and the average low in June is 48*F. Depending on what part of the month you'll be there expect temps swayed to one extreme or the other.

It's important to remember that these are averages, and that the temperature can still drop well below freezing at this time of year, even in the Smokies. Heed these averages at your own risk! That said, a sleeping bag that keeps you warm down to freezing will most likely be adequate for a May hike.

-Howie

Quote Originally Posted by hungryhowie
    Never tried the meals, but...

According the the official website for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the average overnight low on top of Clingmans Dome in May is 43*F. The average low in April in 34*F and the average low in June is 48*F. Depending on what part of the month you'll be there expect temps swayed to one extreme or the other.

It's important to remember that these are averages, and that the temperature can still drop well below freezing at this time of year, even in the Smokies. Heed these averages at your own risk! That said, a sleeping bag that keeps you warm down to freezing will most likely be adequate for a May hike.

-Howie
    Thank you for answering my question. Have you hiked the Smoky Mountains around Clingmans Dome in May?
    Hombre

Hope to try MJ's meals. "Clingmans Dome" in May could be anywhere from the mid 40s to 70s during the day and at night the mid 30s to low 50s. No matter what time of year the evenings can be very cool in the Smokies. I
    backpack there at least 4 times a year (I live in Asheville, 45 min. away).
    Always be prepared! Hope you enjoy the mountains !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Hope to try MJ's meals. "Clingmans Dome" in May could be anywhere from the mid 40s to 70s during the day and at night the mid 30s to low 50s. No matter what time of year the evenings can be very cool in the Smokies. I
    backpack there at least 4 times a year (I live in Asheville, 45 min. away).
    Always be prepared! Hope you enjoy the mountains !!!
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Good luck in your future hikes

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre
    Thank you for answering my question. Have you hiked the Smoky Mountains around Clingmans Dome in May?
    Hombre
    I've been camping and hiking in the Smokies since I was about 5 years old. My parents used to take us (my brother and I) up there for summer vacation, spring break, you name it. It's a wonderful (if completely underfunded and overused) park, and I've always enjoyed my times there. Since then, I've backpacked through the Smokies several times in and around May. You can see freezing temps any month of the year on the ridgeline, and while they are relatively few in the summer, I'd still be prepared for them in May with a sleeping bag that you know will keep you warm to the freezing mark.

Have a great hike!

-Howie

Thank you for replying. You eased my mind of knowing what to take because I have not camped at that altitude. Any other advice that you would have about camping at that time of month or that particular location would be appreciated.

Thanks

++ New Posts ++