WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Full Elevation Profile for the AT

Hello,

I have just created an elevation profile for the AT, which I think some of you will find interesting. It's a continuous, unbroken profile for the entire AT, with about 500 placemarks. However, you'll need to read the notes below before downloading:

Notes:
    1. The file is in PDF format, but it doesn't seem to work with the normal "Acrobat Reader" which everyone has on their computer. The reason is because the dimensions of the profile are so outrageous (4 inches X 41 feet). So the only way I know to view the file is with the Foxit Reader, which is a free download. It's basically the same as the acrobat reader... but without the size limitation.

2. If you try to view the pdf with your browser it probably wont work due to the size limitation mentioned above, so you'll need to save it to your computer and view it with Foxit.

3. Here's a link to the file: LINK, it's about 2.5 MB.

--Mr. Parkay

Images

Nice work!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

How do I save it to my computer?

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    How do I save it to my computer?

Kirby
    There are two options:
    1. If you right-click the Link above and select "save link as" and save as pdf.
    2. left-click the link above.. which will open up a pdf screen.. but the profile will be blank (because of the size limitation). Go to File--> Save Page As ... and save it as a pdf. Then youll need to view it with foxit so that it's not blank

I wish the file could be viewed with the acrobat reader... since the whole foxit thing is annoying... but It just doesn't seem to be possible for this particular profile. However, I'll probably create smaller profiles sometime in the future.. which won't have the same limitation.

--Mr. Parkay

It opens without any problem with Preview (for all those mac people)

Images

I really good job. It's just what I always wanted.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

It's beautiful. I just did the entire distance in 1:19s holding down the arrow. Beat that Karl

Hmmm.... "Opens" OK in Adobe Reader (7.0, for Windoze) but the document itself appears blank. Any clues?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Hmmm.... "Opens" OK in Adobe Reader (7.0, for Windoze) but the document itself appears blank. Any clues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Hello,

I have just created an elevation profile for the AT, which I think some of you will find interesting. It's a continuous, unbroken profile for the entire AT, with about 500 placemarks. However, you'll need to read the notes below before downloading:

Notes:
    1. The file is in PDF format, but it doesn't seem to work with the normal "Acrobat Reader" which everyone has on their computer. The reason is because the dimensions of the profile are so outrageous (4 inches X 41 feet). So the only way I know to view the file is with the Foxit Reader, which is a free download. It's basically the same as the acrobat reader... but without the size limitation.

2. If you try to view the pdf with your browser it probably wont work due to the size limitation mentioned above, so you'll need to save it to your computer and view it with Foxit.

3. Here's a link to the file: LINK, it's about 2.5 MB.

--Mr. Parkay
    See above, hope that helps.

Kirby

Images

By the way, that's absolutely amazing, thanks!

Kirby

Wow. A PDF that can't be read with Adobe's own reader. Doesn't that beat all.... Download a special client for one file? Maybe. I'll have to think about that.

Default Complete Set of Printer Friendly Profiles

Hello Again,

I have just finished a set of printer friendly profiles for the AT. I have wanted to create these for a while so it's nice to finally have them somewhat completed.

The profiles are similar to the big profile that I posted earlier... but I have made a lot of adjustments and corrections. These profiles can be viewed, downloaded and printed using the regular Adobe Acrobat Viewer.

Here are the links:
    Georgia: 2 pages
    Tennessee & North Carolina: 7 pages
    Virginia & West Virginia: 10 pages
    Maryland & Pennsylvania: 5 pages
    New Jersey & New York: 4 pages
    Connecticut & Mass: 3 pages
    Vermont: 3 pages
    New Hampshire: 3 pages
    Maine: 5 pages

The Full Set: 42 pages, 5.6 MB

Notes:
    1. This is the first version of these profiles, so they are not perfect. A lot of important landmarks have been left out, and some are probably incorrectly labeled. But, over time I'll try to correct the mistakes and improve the profiles to make them more useful.

--Mr. Parkay

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice work Mr Parkay.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    The Foxit download was really easy, just got to bump it up to a couple hundred percent on the viewing size in order to see it proper.

Default Interesting work you continue to do for the AT community, Mr. Parkay...

Any word on making a printer-friendly version of your Pinhoti elevation profiles, or of splitting the triple-size map of the first 34 miles of the Pinhoti in Alabama into 3 normally printable ones?

Images

Good job Mr. Parkay.
    I always thought a profile of the whole trail would be a great resource. I used profiles on my thru hike much more than the actual maps.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Mr. Parkay,

I just got done with the downloads and took a look.... excellent job!... Thank you for sharing this with the hiking community.
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Any word on making a printer-friendly version of your Pinhoti elevation profiles, or of splitting the triple-size map of the first 34 miles of the Pinhoti in Alabama into 3 normally printable ones?
    Hey MS, I'm going to make printer friendly profiles for the Pinhoti pretty soon. In fact, I might make them now... since it will probably only take a couple of hours since I've already done most of the work by creating the big profile. Also, I'll try to make the printer friendly maps for the first 34 miles soon... but unfortunately my map-making skills are not as good as my profiling skills, which is why I've been focusing on profiles recently... I've tried to update my pinhoti maps several times now... but I keep getting frustrated since there are a lot of technical problems that I haven't been able to solve yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to bring the maps up the same standard as the profiles at some point.. but I'm definitely not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Christus Cowboy View Post
    Mr. Parkay,

I just got done with the downloads and took a look.... excellent job!... Thank you for sharing this with the hiking community.
    No problem.... thanks for the nice comments everyone. I've always thought there should be freely available profiles for the whole AT... so it's nice to finally get them out there.

Here's a couple more notes about the profiles:

1. I think most of the major peaks are labeled correctly and are at the correct mile marker... but if somethings seems wrong let me know.

2. The labels which are most likely to be in the wrong place are for shelters... since it is hard to correctly position things on a profile unless they are a peak or a gap... so let me know if you think the label should be adjusted.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, Mr. Parkay. Saw you last year while we were on the trail in early March, taking a break by a road, I believe. My son and I were slacking back to Woody Gap from Neels.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++