WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How was your REI guarantee experience?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    So no shame under those circumstances, but had you tried to return them for a warranty issue it would have been less than honest or don't you see it that way?
    What I see is that REI is a shining exception to the "gotcha capitalism" practiced by most large corporations.

If a customer pays for a piece of merchandise AND the services and contractual rights (warranties, promises, etc) that are part-and-parcel of the sale, then the corporation isn't giving away "freebies" at all. The customer paid for those so-called "freebies" when he bought a product sold with a bunch of promises attached.

It is the corporations that don't want to provide the services or warranties or promises that they sold, that get the freebies, when they charged money with no intention of honoring their promises.

REI happens to be a stellar seller that honors the promises it sells, and as such reaps the reward of greater customer loyalty, higher prices, and greater sales.

But shame on those corporations that sell "talk" and then don't "do." They get to choose what they promise, and if they promise lifetime unconditional no-questions-asked warranties, then they need to live up to them, no questions asked. Like REI. Otherwise, THEY are getting the freebies.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 08-31-2008 at 00:36. Reason: typo
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I have experience with both Leki AND REI in dealing with faulty Leki poles. On my '99 AT thru-hike, I don't know a single hiker who got satisfaction dealing directly with Leki.
    In 2000, I snapped a section of pole that got stuck in the mud as I slid forward. I called their 800 number from Fontana Village and the service rep told me to go to the local outfitter at FV and to have them call. I did but the Leki rep was at lunch by the time I got there, so I left my pole with the story and number and did my laundry. Once I got back my pole had been repaired. The following day, I saw the outfitter and he was astonished that he received the replacement section he took from a pole on the rack that morning.

I've had the same pair of Lekis since 1997 with over 10K miles on them. I've had grips replaced, and the two lower sections of poles replaced twice over along with countless tip and baskets at Trail Days and this year at the ADZPCTKO.

I ordered a pack from REI outlet on deep sale. A guy at REI (Patrick?) fitted it to me since I had it sent to the store in Brentwood to get the free shipping. I carried it once fully loaded on a very short hike (uphill from a campsite) just to see how it carried. I decided it didn't carry well loaded, so I took it back. The store refunded my money no questions asked. I have since bought two more packs from them (one for me, one for a friend).

I got the REI hiking poles a little over a year ago. From my lack of understanding of how the locking mechanism works, I messed it up to where one pole wouldn't lock reliably. When I took it in, someone took the time to show me what had happened, and when I expressed concern about the pole continuing to work anyway, they gave me a new set. Several months later a friend used my poles (she and I share gear a lot), and one came back locked so tight that I couldn't get it loose by hand, and when I did all the parts came loose. I took it back and the set was replaced again.

I have spent a couple of thousand dollars there on gear that I did not take back.

Images

I chose the 'awesome' choice because REI has never hassled me about any reasonable return, and I've never attempted any 'unreasonable' ones.

Here's a portion of The REI Guarantee...last line sums it up pretty well...if you are "ever dissatisfied with an item", return it or exchange it...their guarantee is why I don't hesitate to buy anything from REI...

"Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.

Bottom line? You can count on everything we offer to be highly functional and 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Which means you can't go wrong with gear from REI.

If you're ever dissatisfied with an item, you may return or exchange your REI.com purchases at any REI store or through mail order."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    My personal opinion is to replace your Lekis with a pair of Black Diamonds with flicklock pole sections. This system is so far superior to anything else on the market that I'm surprised other companies can still sell their twistlocks.
    Last time I was in my local REI I looked at the BD poles pretty closely and would agree. When/if my REI (Komperdell) poles bite the bullet, I'll definitely be replacing them with a BD pair.

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

[quote=Bearpaw;690349]I insured the pole but foolishly did not get delivery confirmation.
    ----------------------------------
    If you insure something then the 'company' sending it (if it's not delivered) pays, ie PO etc. thus the insurance. So hope you got that back, but thanks for reminded all of us about adding 'delivery confirmation' I did that recently but not for the same reason you mentioned so that is good to know

Also quote from Bearpaw: "My personal opinion is to replace your Lekis with a pair of Black Diamonds with flicklock pole sections. "

.... thanks very much was just about to buy Leki's

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    REI has a return policy...

...if they're getting beat by bogus returns it's up to them to change it.
    I agree with you in the generalization of this policy (thanks for the written info as I was not familiar with this policy). And I'll agree in the 'technicality' of this policies wording. But some of these prior posts, in general, seem more like a moral issue. Wouldn't it be nice if car manufacturers did that after x amount of years past a typical warranty of an item? Or if an accident happened to a clothing item and oops I don't like it now? Granted some items mentioned are 'lifetime' I'm not including those in THIS reply, that would be different.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry Nick I read the choices and I thought it was a good pole.

EMS screwed up on a return once and that was it, I left her for a better woman REI!

(Every Man Screwed or Early Male Senelity) ... oops
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++