WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Geezer

Default Hiker Cottage Industry and water bag

I think it's great if anyone can supplement their income around hiking, but I know that any mention of commerialism around hiking sets off many here.

I'm not trying to resurrect that debate, it's just that I'd rather get goods and services from hikers than corporations, and with that in mind, I'm looking for some lightweight silnylon stuff sacks and a water bag.

The last ones I have I bought from Dancing Light, but they no longer make gear.

Anyone know of a cottage supplier of things silnylon?
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think it's great if anyone can supplement their income around hiking, but I know that any mention of commerialism around hiking sets off many here.

I'm not trying to resurrect that debate, it's just that I'd rather get goods and services from hikers than corporations, and with that in mind,
    Honestly, then why bring it up and give your opinion on it instead of posting the question in a neutral manner in the straight-forward forum?

I'm looking for some lightweight silnylon stuff sacks and a water bag.

The last ones I have I bought from Dancing Light, but they no longer make gear.

Anyone know of a cottage supplier of things silnylon?
    You might consider Etowah Outfitters a cottage supplier and they have stuff sacks.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Honestly, then why bring it up and give your opinion on it instead of posting the question in a neutral manner in the straight-forward forum?
    a) it is gear and I wanted it in the gear forum.

b) my experience is that with some topics, people will reply not to the question asked, but to thier views of the philosphy of what should be asked. I had hoped that by asking people to consider the question, not their idea of what/how to ask questions, I wouldn't get these unrelated and unwanted comments. It took only one reply to have someone ignore my request.

I don't know why people here can't simply ask for info and get it without being harrassed for the way they ask or what they are asking for. Asking for info was once the strong point of this forum.
    Frosty

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I am not a fan of the Etowah gear. The 2 things I have bought have both been defective.

I got a silylon water bag from antigravity gear.

I've been using two Etowah Gear silnylon bags for about a year, since then I've added to my gear EG's rain wrap and pack cover all silnylon. All well made products, local company and I consider them to be a cottage industry supplier. I'm sure there are other small companies out there, but this is the one I have experience with and like.

Great question. Check out Z-packs at zpacks.com.

++ New Posts ++