WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone starting around 22 FEB 09?

Just thought I would see if anyone was planning to start at Springer around the same time as me. I am not looking for a hiking partner as I know we will all hike our own hikes but thought it would be nice to know who was going to be starting at the same time... share a fire with on those chilly evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Just thought I would see if anyone was planning to start at Springer around the same time as me. I am not looking for a hiking partner as I know we will all hike our own hikes but thought it would be nice to know who was going to be starting at the same time... share a fire with on those chilly evenings.
    grumpy i have started thruhikes between feb 15th & april 7th. im sure you'll have some company. have a great hike.

I'll be starting earlier in Feb (around the 9th).

Well I doubt I will see you if you have a 13 day lead on me but I should hear about you as I go along. Are you leaving early due to a timeline or just want to get some winter hiking in as well? Also have you finalized (if such a thing exists) your packing list? I am pretty excited... wish you happy trails.

Nah, I just want to get out there as soon as possible and I'm done working by Christmas. Yeah, my packing list has been done. I hiked 300 miles of the AT this year so I got a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't for me.

Images

Well I doubt I will see you if you have a 13 day lead on me but I should hear about you as I go along. Are you leaving early due to a timeline or just want to get some winter hiking in as well? Also have you finalized (if such a thing exists) your packing list? I am pretty excited... wish you happy trails.
    I am hiking with Cori-Alice and the reason for Feb 9th is it is enough time to reach the Blueberry Patch by the time it opens. We were going to SOBO this year, but Wildcat A broke my foot so next year it is.

Well it is good to see you have recovered and are getting back out there. I recently had shoulder surgery and just got out of my immobilizer a week ago. So as soon as I have enough strength I am going to head out for some shake out hikes. Mostly though I am just biding time until I can start out... I wish you two the best this coming year. If you care to share I would be interested in what you are packing but if not no big deal. Thanks... Grumpy

Images

Well it is good to see you have recovered and are getting back out there. I recently had shoulder surgery and just got out of my immobilizer a week ago. So as soon as I have enough strength I am going to head out for some shake out hikes. Mostly though I am just biding time until I can start out... I wish you two the best this coming year. If you care to share I would be interested in what you are packing but if not no big deal. Thanks... Grumpy
    I use a Dana Design Bomb Pack and am probably going to add some Mystery Ranch Long Pockets to the sides or if I can find a good used pack I may just buy a bigger one. I haven't done too much as far as winter camping so I don't have the sleeping bag yet, but I am thinking of a Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch 800 fill 15 degree #1 with a Coolmax liner. Jetboil for the stove and Katadyn Hiker for the water. I will be sleeping in a unknown tent at this point until it warms up some and then switching to my hammock hopefully at the start of May. I am going to try my 1/8th inch ccf pad and see if I can get by on it but I may have to switch to something thicker to start out with. We are probably going to hike the Foothills Trail in January to make sure everything works together.

Thanks... always helpful to see what everyone is taking vs. not taking.

Grumpy - sent you a PM - we'll be a few days ahead of ya. Hope to see you out there!

++ New Posts ++