WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question I have Bladder problems.

So... As I stated I have bladder problems. Specifically my water bladders are as follows

CamelBack Classic // Capacity 70 oz

Wally-World Special // capacity 64 oz

Heres the problems, the camelback has lasted me for 10 years with no issues, it can be used as it's own backpack with the neoprene shell and straps, only a few ounces and it helps keep the water cool for longer, attaches to compression straps because I don't have a sleeve on my backpack. It just recently formed a hole in the top ( near the fill hole) but duct tape seems to be working fine

Wally World special for $8.99 however, as suggested in their instructions to fill a little water and freeze for storage, is already ruined after 2 whole uses... the hose has many cracks I imagine from water expanding in it in the freezer so that is going back to the store.

It's time I get 2 new bladders so I turn to WB for help, I need a Large capacity ( if anyone knows of a 100 oz bladder let me know) because I drink about 80-100 oz of water on a long day. That may seem a lot to some of you but I still usually walk in a little dehydrated and will consume another 40-50 oz before bed. So what are the cheap, large, durable bladders available these days?? Online links welcomed

Platypus. Bare-bones, cheap, works fine.

Images

Camelbak 100 oz

Images

I love my Platypus. Now there are several Platy-like bags out there from Evernew, Nalgene, probably others. I still think the Platy is the lightest--and strong, food grade.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

I like the Platypus bladders as well and haven't had problems with any that I've owned. The new versions have a quick release tube feature. I use the 2 L. version of that (5.8 oz.). In addition, I removed the hose and added an extra quick release to my old 1.8 L Platy and carry that for those times when water is scarce. This "extra" bladder weighs in at 1.8 ounces. One thing I like about this approach is that I have a backup if my primary springs a leak.

Images

Love my Platypus bladders, I have had three for 6+ years and have never had any issues with them.
    -clicker

One other thought Homer and Marje...the Platypus Water Tank is something you might want to take a look at.

My wife and I carry a 6 L. tank and use it to haul water to camp. This generally provides water for the rest of the day, dinner and breakfast cooking, and enough to set off the following morning. When the water source is far away from camp, it is a helpful assessory to have along. Ours weighs 3.5 ounces. The Water Tank also doubles as an excellent outdoor shower for two with the addition of the Platypus Shower Hoser.

Images

...and Platypus has a great warranty.

http://www.platy.com/contact_us/warr...actUs&Inside=2
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

I have the 100oz CamelBak and it works great. I drink a lot of water too, and always fill the bladder to capacity. I used to have the 70oz, but I forgot to clean it after a hike a couple years ago and it got pretty funky. I wasn't able to clean it to my satisfaction, so I just replaced it. I upgraded to the 100oz. The extra capacity makes a big difference. Carrying 3 liters of water is heavy, but I've never run out. Even when I show up at a shelter with a dry source, I still have enough on me to make it through the night. The CamelBak is a bit heavier(empty), but it's tough as nails.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    One other thought Homer and Marje...the Platypus Water Tank is something you might want to take a look at.

My wife and I carry a 6 L. tank and use it to haul water to camp. This generally provides water for the rest of the day, dinner and breakfast cooking, and enough to set off the following morning. When the water source is far away from camp, it is a helpful assessory to have along. Ours weighs 3.5 ounces. The Water Tank also doubles as an excellent outdoor shower for two with the addition of the Platypus Shower Hoser.
    I carry the Nalgene Canteen as well as my bladders, it holds over 100 oz of water and I will usually fill it up halfway before I start my hike, just in case water is scarce. And it's usually good for enough water for dinner, dishes, drinking water in camp and for breakfast, attaches right to my MSR MiniWorks filter

Images

I don't have any bladder problems . . . yet . . . even at my age!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I don't have any bladder problems . . . yet . . . even at my age!

I’m sure it will all work out in the end…

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    I’m sure it will all work out in the end…
    Was the pun intended there "in the end"

You can't beat Platypus bladders, their drinking tube/bite valve works a lot better than Camelbacks' (no leaks).

Platypus. A cap off a soda bottle fits them, too. And don't waste money on cheap crap from Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Platypus. A cap off a soda bottle fits them, too. And don't waste money on cheap crap from Wal-Mart.
    Well, some of them do, some soda/water bottles (Dasani I know for a fact) just changed their thread size in the last several months. Platys use the older thread.

++ New Posts ++