WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plant ID????

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Plant ID????

I can see now that I am going to have to buy my daughter a plant ID guide. But in the mean time, can anyone help me identify these for her. These were on the North face of Tray this past Labor Day. BTW, we were hiking in and above the low clouds blown in by the outer bands of Hurricane Gustav.

Images

How tall was the first plant? If it was 1-2 ft tall, it might be a Solomon's Seal going to seed. Just for information, Solomon's Seal has flowers at each of the bracts. False Solomon's Seal has the same (similar) shaped leaves but with a stalk of flowers at the end. I'll do some more checking.
    Turtle2

#1 looks like Solomon's Seal to me too.
    Second looks familiar but I don't know the name.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Looks like Solomon's Seal.

Last edited by Skidsteer; 09-03-2008 at 21:24.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Looks like Solomon's Seal.
    That's it Skids, Jan, and Turtle. Now what is that second one? They were EVERYWHERE up there Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    That's it Skids, Jan, and Turtle. Now what is that second one? They were EVERYWHERE up there Monday.

Could be false solomon's seal.

Images

Nope. Turtle2 was exactly correct.

Bulldawg, you need to take some of those classes I've been telling you about.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Nope. Turtle2 was exactly correct.

Bulldawg, you need to take some of those classes I've been telling you about.

Plant #2; plant #1 is Solomon's Seal.

This is cool, saw a ton of Solomon's seal Labor day on Rabun Bald. Lot's of Indian cucumber as well.

The only thing I worry about for plant ID is if it’s poison ivy or oak. Other then that I don’t care. I learned what they look like in all seasons years ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Plant #2; plant #1 is Solomon's Seal.
    Plant #2 is not either kind of Solomon's Seal.

Scratch that. Depending on perspective #2 could be false Solomon's Seal. Never seen red berries on false Solomon's Seal, though.
    Last edited by Two Speed; 09-04-2008 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Plant #2 is not either kind of Solomon's Seal.

Scratch that. Depending on perspective #2 could be false Solomon's Seal. Never seen red berries on false Solomon's Seal, though.
    FSS has mottled red berries: http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/PI/GO-NAT...84&PhotoID=520

Images

Yeah, saw that in another article, but haven't ever noticed false Solomon's Seal with red berries in Georgia. Gonna have to look around now, and see if I've been missing something.

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Solomon’s sealplant

Main

any plant of the genus Polygonatum of the family Ruscaceae, consisting of about 25 species of herbaceous perennials with thick, creeping underground stems and tall, drooping stems, distributed throughout the Northern Hemisphere. The plants are particularly common in the eastern United States and Canada. They flourish in damp, wooded areas and in thickets. In the leaf [COLOR=#009900 ! important][COLOR=#009900 ! important]axils[/COLOR][/COLOR] of the plants are clusters of white or greenish white flowers, which are followed by [COLOR=#009900 ! important][COLOR=#009900 ! important]red [COLOR=#009900 ! important]berries[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. The leaves form two rows along the upper part of the stem. Similar plants of the genus Smilacina, known as false Solomon’s seal, bear their flower clusters at the tips of the stems.
    <script src="http://eb.adbureau.net/jnserver/acc_random=4531503594/site=DARWIN/area=ARTICLES/source=other/aamsz=400x150/pos=TEXT_FULL_US/pageid=57073"></script>

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

lol, that didn't paste right sorry ... the 2nd part about COLOR says "followed by RED BERRIES"

tideblazer
    Images

The tell tale for false solomons seal is a zig-zagging at the meristem nodes
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie View Post
    The tell tale for false solomons seal is a zig-zagging at the meristem nodes
    Okey dokey, got me with that one. What's a "meristem node" and where would I find that? Stem, tuber, leaves?

Next, I thought the anthers were definitive; if it has them along the length of the stem it's Solomon's Seal, if they're on the end of the stem it's false Solomon's Seal. Correct?

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, I am satisfied the first plant is soloman's seal. The second plant is the one I am wondering about now. Well really my daughter is wondering about, I don't really care so long as it isn't poison oak, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    I don't think so, this plant was very close to the ground. Like 6-10 inches in height.

Images

Some plants are just atypical; not all of them will reach 3'. Also depends on injury to the plant, suitability of the soil, water, etc.

Personally I've never seen false Solomon's Seal with red berries, but I have run across a couple of sources that say that's the case. Gonna have to look and see what I find before I come down real hard one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++