WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Crab Cake

Default How much Aqua Mira did you use during your hike?

hey,
    So I'm trying to figure out how much Aqua Mira I am going to go through during my 3 month section. Could those of you who have thru hiked with Aqua Mira give me a rough idea of how long 1 "pack" lasted you? I know I could calculate drops per liter and liters per day etc... but I would rather hear from real experience. Did you need to send it in mail drops, or could you manage to get it from the outfitters along the way?

-Crab Cake
    Broiled, not baked

Default I used AM all through my thruhike 2 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    hey,
    So I'm trying to figure out how much Aqua Mira I am going to go through during my 3 month section. Could those of you who have thru hiked with Aqua Mira give me a rough idea of how long 1 "pack" lasted you? I know I could calculate drops per liter and liters per day etc... but I would rather hear from real experience. Did you need to send it in mail drops, or could you manage to get it from the outfitters along the way?

-Crab Cake
    I found it more convenient to just buy it ahead, and have my support person stick it in my maildrops. Many "real" hiking outfitters were out of it or didn't carry it, and wannabes like Cabela's or Wal-Mart's sporting goods section? Don't even waste the time looking for it in such places. A set of AM has little weight or volume, so if I got a couple sets ahead it was no biggee. Also, if you order a quantity directly from the manufacturer, you can get about a 40% discount.

I found that three main things made my treated water consumption vary:

1) how much I got water from sources (town) that didn't need treating;

2) how much I cooked; and

3) how hot it was.

My water consumption more than doubled in the hottest weather; over 2 gallons a day was usual on 100-degree days. So, how much (if any) you slackpack, eat cold food, and what time of year can dramatically change how much self-treated water you go through. I'd figure on getting 20-25 gallons max per set, and that's if you prefilter your water. (Cloudy, or turbid, water is supposed to get 2x as much AM.) I figure a $1.29 near-weightless food-grade plastic funnel and under 10 dollars worth of coffee filters (easily disposable in even small campfires) reduced my AM consumption over the course of my thruhike by at least a fourth.

So, I'd figure on average a minimum of 10 gallons of water per person per week average (if NOT summer), so about 2 packs of AM a month should be safe for you in non-summer hiking (double if you are).

Boil your water. Then you would not need Aqua Mira.

Default Yeah, you'll just need...

Quote Originally Posted by WAYSEEKER View Post
    More time and about 8x as much fuel as you'd otherwise. I'd rather carry 14 drops (total of the two components) of AM per liter than another couple ounces of fuel alcohol.

Now, if you're going to boil some water anyway for cooking or a hot beverage, then, absolutely, relying on that for water treatment over AM makes complete sense. I still prefilter such water with funnel and coffee filters, though. Even fully cooked, random plant leaves, sand, and insect carcasses are unpleasant to put in your mouth, especially when avoiding doing so is easily avoidable.

I don't use the stuff. But if I did, I'd probably put resupply bottles in my mail drops, or in a bounce box (stock up when you're in a town with a decent outfitter that carries it.)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

hey,

-Crab Cake
    =========================================

I bought 6 sets of Aqua Mira in advance before my 2003 thru and kept the extra sets it in my bounce box. I got a better price by ordering it in quantity. Once or twice I started to run low and found some on the shelf at an outfitter along the way. After my hike I had one full set of Aqua Mira left and part of another. So ...doing the math I would say that I needed/used about 6 sets.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

On my thru, I used about 7 liters of water per day. One two-bottle system treats 120 liters if used as directed, so it should last you about 17 days of hiking. After a bit of extrapolating, I estimate an entire thru-hike using Aquamira would cost you $135.00 retail. It's a great product and I whole-heartedly recommend it. But despite its popularity with me, most outfitters don't share the same love. Don't expect to find it on the fly. Buy in advance and mail it to yourself.

Crab Cake

Thanks guys, this was exactly the info I was looking for. I kinda figured that not all outfitters carried it, and even if they do, there would be 100 other hikers that were getting low at the same time. I think I will order 4 sets or so and stick them in my drops. That was about how many drops I was planning for my 3 months, so that should work well.

-Crab Cake
    Broiled, not baked

hey,

-Crab Cake
    I used 3 sets on my thru, but I only used it for questionable water. I would say that is about half the time.

Images

I've used the stuff on my last 2 thru-hikes pretty regularly. I treat almost all sources, though I always try to carry and stretch as much piped or town water as possible.

I generally went thru about 4 sets on a 5 month hike. But one set a month is a safe bet so that you don't run out.

I agree with those who recommend buying a few sets before your hike and having them available to be sent to you. The stuff is nearly impossible to find on the northern half of the AT and almost anywhere on the PCT.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

1.5 sets for a thruhike but thats cause I rarely treated my water

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default Steripen Vs Aqua Mira

I use AM a lot, but I got a Xmas present of a steripen which will be my primary tool. Steripen is much faster than AM.
    Crazy Al

I hiked this year from Springer to Atkins, VA - 535 miles, I was just on my 3rd set. I purified all my water.

One set lasts me 20-30 days at about 6 litters a day if I recall.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WAYSEEKER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    More time and about 8x as much fuel as you'd otherwise. I'd rather carry 14 drops (total of the two components) of AM per liter than another couple ounces of fuel alcohol.......
    You'll waste a lot of time waiting for it to cool down to be at a tolerable temperature for drinking. IMO, unless I'm cooking, boiling water is a last resort.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Bring iodine as a back-up.
    Crazy Al

If you're going through a bunch of Aqua Mira (>5 or so), it may make more sen$e to pick up one of those MSR MIOX things on sale. On the other hand, you might find that you rarely treat water and anything more than an eyedropper of bleach is more of a hassle than its worth. Most folks are probably somewhere in between.

/water heathen - I don't treat anymore

++ New Posts ++