WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Default northern end transportation

I plan on finishing up at the northern end of the trail the first or second week of Oct. I need to get back to CT from there. If I can get to St. Albans, amtrak runs to home. The trick is getting to St. Albans. Greyound doesn't run that far north. Does anyone know of any other options other than private transportation? Thanks.
    "Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail."

I'm pretty sure there is no public transportation (i.e. bus service) from the northern terminus of the LT. You'll either have to hitch to St. Albans, Montpelier, or Burlington; failing that you can pay for a shuttle or have a friend pick you up. More details on this will be found at www.greenmountainclub.org or you can obtain a current Long Trail guide which will give you other options.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Jamie Compos (a WBer) had a good doc with transport info for the LT:
    http://www.jamiecompos.com/planning.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You might want to do a google search on Jay, VT or "Jay Peak Resort". The LT goes over the summit of Jay Peak a few miles south of the northern terminus.

Jay Peak, by train.

Jay Peak, by bus.

The second link describes a shuttle from Burlington, VT to Jay.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I remember it being a small country road on the northern end. I remember seeing a car or two when I was there a couple years ago. I wouldn't rule out hitching, but if I were you I would try to arrange something else. But that is just me.

Images

Default Hello GMC?

I would like to encourage GMC to provide information on their website pertaining to this subject if they have not already. Were they to provide this information, we could link it and it would be updated by them as necessary.

The question asked is asked often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I would like to encourage GMC to provide information on their website pertaining to this subject if they have not already. Were they to provide this information, we could link and it would be updated by them as necessary.

The question asked is asked often.
    Hey, bud! What's you're problem? Get some bad grits this morning?

For someone who was once employed by GMC, you sure have a bad attitude and your memory isn't much better.

Surely, you have heard of Long Trail Guide (26th edition, 2007)? You're not suggesting someone plan on hiking without it, were you?

Images

Red face Well, no.

Surely, you have heard of Long Trail Guide (26th edition, 2007)? You're not suggesting someone plan on hiking without it, were you?
    Does it provide the information requested?

Images

Does it provide the information requested?
    You don't know how to Google. You don't know how to use a telephone. I fear you would be a danger to yourself and others were you to hike on The Long Trail!

Maybe you should find another hobby.

The End to Enders Guide has information on several B&B's in North Troy that will pick you up at the Jay/North Troy Rd. intersection (another 1.3 miles from the terminus). The Jay/North Troy Rd, though gravel, is well travelled, and you should be able to get a ride into Jay, if that is your destination.

I stayed with Sam at the North Troy Inn B&B and was very pleased with her service and price, $40 for the night, free shuttle. You'll get cell signal at the top of Jay Peak, and possibly at the border post, so you should be able to arrange everything.

++ New Posts ++