WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ALDHA Gathering

Default ALDHA Gathering

Just a quick reminder to folks about this weekend's Long-Distance Hiker Gathering in West Virginia. I attended one of these before my first hike in 1995 and found it incredibly useful.

For more information on this event, and on the organization that sponsors it, see www.aldha.org for details. Hope to see some of you in WV.

Images

I would really, really like to go, but have committed to doing a trip in southern Indiana instead. If someone could bring back information from Flyin' Brian's session on how to average 30 miles per day, I would appreciate it.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default ALDHA

Hikerhead and I will be there! Really looking forward to seeing old friends.

Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Former Admin

Originally posted by chris
    I would really, really like to go, but have committed to doing a trip in southern Indiana instead. If someone could bring back information from Flyin' Brian's session on how to average 30 miles per day, I would appreciate it.
    Chris you hiking the Knobstone trail or have you?

Images

Not to go off topic too much, but the Knobstone Trail is rightfully known as "the little Appalachian Trail". It's my "training trail", and is gorgeous and tough. Good topos of the KnobTrail are available on line.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

The Weasel,

Do you know if any locals will shuttle hikers using the Knobstone Trail?? Hate to take two cars!!

Images

Okay, Chris is not going hiking this weekend. I was all set to do an easy walk with a non-hiker on the Adventure Trail in southern IN. when she bailed on me. Maybe it has to do with the rain coming in this weekend. I'd like to think so. So, I'll be driving down to the Gathering sometime on Friday after I get a funding proposal turned into the Feds. I'll be coming back on Sunday sometime. If someone needs a ride, send me an email. I'm coming from Bloomington, just south of Indy and will be passing through Louisville, Lexington, and Charleston on the way to Athens.

On a separate note, I do want to hike the Knobstone trail, as it is supposed to provide some ups and downs and be nice overall. I am told that water is a bit scarce along it. Any interested in a 2 or 3 day hike of it?

Images

Here is a question, and please don't take this wrong, but what is the draw to these events like Trail Days and the ALDHA Gathering?

I've never been to one, although I have been invited a lot of times by various people. I really don't like crowds and normally stay away from big events. Am I missing something?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Well, I probably should let Jack answer this one.

Trail Days is Damascus's version of an "old home day, heritage festival, or whatever you call the annual celebration that many small towns have. But, to me, Trail Days was a big group of thru-hikers and thru-hiker wanta-bes. It's mainly a party weekend. Lots of underage drinking, etc.
    Highlight to me was the hiker talent show Saturday morning. The talent show is not to be missed

The Gathering is where the serious hikers go. While almost everyone there has done the AT, many have gone on to do other trails, or have done the AT multiple times. These are the guys (and gals) that hike to live. There are workshops and panels, some equipment people, like Moonbow, etc. It's a volunteer effort. It's a great place to meet other hikers and have a reunion with people who you have hiked with in the past. I'm sure there is the party element, but certainly no where near what Trail Days is. It didn't have the big crowd feeling.

I've been to both, and for hikers, I recommend the Gathering. Rock, I'd say that you could be missing something if you don't go to the Gathering.

Default Big Events ... Missing out...

The draw for these events, Trail Days, The Gathering, the Ruck, etc is an excuse for hikers (people of like minds) to get together. Where they can re-unite with hiking buddies, share stories, pass on their experiences, and hopefully leran a new thing or two.

Are you missing out by not going? In a way, but if ya don't like crowds or big events then it is probably just not for you. You could just set up camp in the campground and stay put. You would get to talk to some of the hikers but not get in the thick of things, unless the draw was more then you could bear.

I think the first few ALDHA Gatherings were mainly for past thru-hikers, Kind of a "get together" kind of thing. However, I feel that the event now pulls in future and potential hikers as well. Hell if everyone their was an experienced thru-hiker why bother to have workshops, everyone would already be experienced.

Just "our" opinions, Hammock Hanger & Hikerhead! We have become one LOL! Not really. Sue

Former Admin

Default Re: Big Events ... Missing out...

[i]
    Just "our" opinions, Hammock Hanger & Hikerhead! We have become one LOL! Not really. Sue
    I'm sending this little snippet along to Hammock's hubby!!

LOL Just kidding

OHHHH! You had my heart going there for a second

Sue and Jed really have something special in the way that they trust each other. And I can tell you straight up, Sue would not do anything to test that.

Jeb is the real hero in this whole story, I'll let HH share that if she wants to.

Now get back to more important issues like dog poop on the trail.

BTW. Here's a great poll.....Would your spouse let YOU go hiking with someone of the opposite sex for a week?
    Last edited by Hikerhead; 10-18-2002 at 08:58.

Former Admin

Yes I knew that, she mentioned her trusting relationship with Jeb somewhere. I think thats really cool! And they're both very lucky to have such a marriage.

EDITTED BY HAMMOCK HANGER!! Using someone else's computer is so confusing...

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default lucky...

lucky...
    I am very very lucky and I know it!!
    Jed will always be the love of my life.

Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Like SGT. Rock, I usually eschew large gatherings, but am really delighted by the program of events at the Gathering. Trail Days doesn't seem particularly attractive to me, but lots of people seemed to look forward to it. There appears to be a lot of information being poured forth at the Gathering, whereas at Trail Days it seems mainly that beer is poured forth.

Default knobstone

Chris states about the Knobstone....

<On a separate note, I do want to hike the Knobstone trail, as it is supposed to provide some ups and downs and be nice overall. I am told that water is a bit scarce along it. Any interested in a 2 or 3 day hike of it?>

I just heard this morning that water on the Knob is still very very scarce.

Myself and a couple of other people are interested in a 2 or 3 day trip!

amy

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Hmmmmm/Hikerheads comment

Glad you said that Hikerhead, I was under the impression that the Gathering was just for former thru's...I have been to trail days, almost by accident, it was at the end of that section and happened upon it from beyond Watauga dam and after a long 26 mile day found myself in the hostel now called 'the place', upon waking discovered I was surrounded by tent city....I remember meeting Wingfoot and his 'groopies' one of which asked what my trail name...I have been section hiking the AT for 30 years and have no trail name, but just told her I was there just to observe, she took offense in that I was there to study 'her kind' and in a way I was! My first impression (only and last) of Wingfoot was not good by the way but that is incendental to this thread....I did learn at Trail Days and enjoyed many people I met there...but if I had known at the time it was all the thru's descending I would have made it a point to do another section because I think they should have a place all their own,,,,,,maybe we section hikers could have a 'congealing' of our own?

Dachonkin....I can't take credit for what HH said.

She was walking around the room smoking a cigar and I was just typing the words she was conveying.

Like someone else said, we start out as section hikers and we end up as section hikers. Some are just lucky to be able to do it all at one time somewhere there in the middle.

++ New Posts ++