WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Approach Trail???

how long is the approach trail and how difficult is it...I think it has changed some since I was on it last. I seen people mention that you can stop along the way at a shelter and an inn

ooops..sorry guys I should have read that before I sent it..I am thinking about hiking in with some thru hiking friends saturday morning to see them off...I have recovered enough now to hike slowly but I do not want to overdo it and cause any problems or distractions from their sendoff...I could hike up from the parking lot or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.

Default Approach Trail

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    ooops..sorry guys I should have read that before I sent it..I am thinking about hiking in with some thru hiking friends saturday morning to see them off...I have recovered enough now to hike slowly but I do not want to overdo it and cause any problems or distractions from their sendoff...I could hike up from the parking lot or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.

The approach trail is over 8 miles, and mostly uphill. It is not a real difficult hike as a day hike. I think most thru hikers with full packs find it a challange. Instead of starting at three forks, you could go to the parking area on forest service road 42, and be only a .9 mile climb from Springer. The folks at Amicolola can give you directions

Images

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    ...I could hike up from the parking lot or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.
    I hiked the Approach Trail on February 29th with a 25 lb pack and had no trouble at all. I'm guessing it was from 9:30 till 3:30 or so.

If you want to get close, then definitely take USFS 42 from the west (Ellijay) side. Not a bad dirt road at all, and gets you to within 9/10ths of a mile of the top of Springer.

Rain Man

Default not that hard

I don't know why the approach trail has such a hard reputation. I kept hearing that it was horrible and treacherous. The first mile is steep, but there is a paved road that crosses at that point (so you may try to get a ride). But after that, it is not bad at all. There are ups and downs, like on the AT. It's really a pretty walk. There is a shelter about a mile short of Springer.

I thoroughly enjoyed the approach trail. I think most people will tell you it's hard because it's their first real steps with a full pack on, and slightly discouraging to walk 8 miles before you even hit the AT.

-Tank

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

starting at the top of falls is a good option..good parking there too and that first mile from the VC to the top of the falls is steep.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++