WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let us remember!

Today is the 7th anniversary of September 11th.

Let's remember those whom have lost their life's and their families..

And thank those who served and are currently serving to keeping us safe.
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Always Remember

Sept. 11, 2001...I was on my thru-hike. I had spent the night of Sept. 10 in the Ski Patrol building on top of Stratton Mountain with 4 other hikers.
    After leaving the building to start hiking I started to listen to a small radio I clipped to my pack strap. I was trying to get some music and all I could get was talk. I listened to what was being said and could not believe what I was hearing. I was alone woundering all kind of strange things. My first thought was to get to a phone and call home. I hiked to the road and hitched a ride into Bennington and called home. Not knowing if I should continue my hike or return home, I checked into a motel and watched the unfolding story on TV.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Thanks, Peanuts, I remember. Funny how our networks don't play the tapes of people jumping off the towers or the Arabs who were dancing in the streets for joy. Don't get me started.....Our chickens coming home to roost? Give me a break.

It was nice hiking on the AT in the days following 911. There were no jet sounds overhead and no contrails messing up the views.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

We should always remember our "days of infamy".
    The Alamo, The USS Maine, Pearl Harbor, The USS Cole, The USS Pubelo, The Marine Barracks in Lebennon.
    Moses

Couldn't agree with you more, tho I'd have to question adding "The Alamo" to your list.

The attack on the Alamo wasn't exactly a surprise, and it wasn't as tho American sovereign soil had been invaded by Mexico in 1836.

In fact, I seem to recall the opposite.

In any case, let's get back to the original intent of this worthy thread: I remember very well what happened seven years ago today, and so should every other American, and we best honor the memory of those who died that day by working to make sure such a thing doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more, tho I'd have to question adding "The Alamo" to your list.

The attack on the Alamo wasn't exactly a surprise, and it wasn't as tho American sovereign soil had been invaded by Mexico in 1836.

In fact, I seem to recall the opposite.

In any case, let's get back to the original intent of this worthy thread: I remember very well what happened seven years ago today, and so should every other American, and we best honor the memory of those who died that day by working to make sure such a thing doesn't happen again.
    I was taught to remember the Alamo. Considering our immigration problem with Mexico, it seems worth remembering.
    Moses

Not the time or place to discuss immigration issue or anything else, and I regret my original comment about the Alamo. That's not what this thread is about.

Amen, Jack!!!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I was in High School. It was the first or second day of the new school year, and i was Starting my Senior year. The school did not say anything about it, but i had a teacher that was in the military, that had a TV in his classroom. I ended up staying the whole day in his room.

That December (when i turned 18) i became a volunteer firefighter.

It was a huge part of my maturity to becoming a man (and a huge part of the USA's ever changing History).

God bless all of the families that were involved, or lost loved ones, or were affected by the air at ground zero.

We should all head home tonight and hug our loved ones and remember that we live in one of the best countries in the world.

I will never forget those brave American souls who gave up their lives in the Towers and the Pentagon. And Pennsylvania. My American flag was flying proudly at 5:30 am as I said a prayer to them and their families. May the terrorists who planned and performed this dastardly act rot in hell. God bless the USA.

I remember. I have not and will not watch Hollywood films based on that day. Are we as a nation willing to make the price so high that the enemy will not attempt other, similar attacks?
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I watched some of the news broadcasts from seven years ago that we had taped. Made me cry. I remember vividly the entire day. Worst day I have ever witnessed. Awful.

If you haven't yet and can, display the flag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

There's a really good 20 minute tribute video on www.foxnews.com if anyone's interested.

Images

I'll never forget.
    After I left work that morning I figured I'd stop on the way home and donate blood. In good times there's never enough and I thought there would be a huge need after the attacks. When I got to the blood center it was swamped with people. Old people, young people, english speaking people, and people who didn't speak english, people of every race and origin were there to do one of the few things they could do to help. There were so many people that we were being turned away and just given a time when to come back. When I went back at 2AM, my assigned time, I was told that there really was no need. It was amazing to see how all of the people of this country rallied together to do the small things they could in a time of need. To this day that outpouring of love and caring gives me hope for this country as we go into the future. I just hope it doesn't take another disaster for us all to realize we have more in common with each other than we have differences that seperate us.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    We should always remember our "days of infamy".
    The Alamo, The USS Maine, Pearl Harbor, The USS Cole, The USS Pubelo, The Marine Barracks in Lebennon.
    The Uss Liberty

Personally, I don't need to read, watch, or hear anything to recall the horror of that day. I was in an office with people who had friends, family and former co-workers who were in the WTC - while we watched the towers burn and then fall. It was awful.

May we never forget the bravery that was exhibited on that day. I should only hope to be half as courageous if I should find myself in a situation similar to those First Responders and ordinary citizens.

"Come on up for The Rising..."

Well, Mowgli, you may might not to see or read anything about this.

But milions of Americans go about their daily lives as tho it never happened, and they DO need a reminder.

In my own town, I saw that American flags were posted throughout the town, dozens of them. The flag in front of the Town Hall was at half staff. The flag in front of the library (where I'm sitting now) was not. I'm not sure about the one in front of the elementary or high schools. But these flags SHOULD be at half staff, and the kids should see this, and they should ask why.

People need to be reminded what happened seven years ago today, Mowgli, because all too many have already forgotten.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Thanks for that link, Jack. A tough read but a great article. Never forget.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++