M65 Field Jacket Liner Mod - My objective was a ultra cheap representation of Mont-bell's UL thermawrap/down liner (I have the UL down inner jacket), within my sewing skills (which aren't great). I added a zipper, closed up the armpit openings, added elastic cuffs and an elastic waist drawstring. Total cost $9.77. Size large weighs in at 12oz.
Why the crooked zip? Made this for my bro in laws (Banana Dan and Mighty Mouse) who can't afford the Mont-bell right now and are V-shaped from the waist up.

Materials from Quest http://www.questoutfitters.com/
5142 20" zipper $2.35
2202 3/8" elastic, ~12" @ $.31/yd
2402 3/32" elastic cord, ~1yd @ $.32/yd

Field Jacket Liner, size large, from local surplus store $7

First I closed the enormous pit openings. The 2 sides of material don't line up exactly so I pinched up a sewed the excess. Shown are before and after.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1

I opened the cuff trim material and fed the 3/8" elastic through with a safety pin. I cut a small hole in the trim to exit the safety pin and sewed that end down. I stretched the elastic to the appropriate tension and sewed it down. I then sewed the trim back to its original configuration.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1

I put a zipper on the front. Easiest part of the whole operation.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1

I cut small holes in the bottom edge trim near each zipper half, on the left front hip, and at the back (to jump over a sewn part in the trim). At the left front hip I added a cord lock salvaged from something unservicable.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1

The finished product.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...s&cutoffdate=1