WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ATTroll,
    Thanks for the info. I will be working on my section next weekend. Garrenflo
    Gap to DeerPark Shelter. By the way FYI to all headed NOBO. There are a few blowdowns on this section that we have to clear away. We are working on it. Hope to have all clear soon.

Just my 2 cents on the druggies or any other weirdo. Common sense is keep your distance from them when you recognize the situation. If the person(s)
    bother you or someone else on the trail report to the authorities as soon as possible. Remember sometimes you can get clear of these jerks and some how they tend to be a pest like a lost dog who follows you as you head up the trail.

Be safe, be happy and have a great hike !!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by okpik
    I wouldn't want to fall asleep and snore and piss off one of these live wires who ain't goin' to sleep and never wake up. A wrong look to a paranoid is deadly. Things go bump in the night and hallucinations cause reactions. I also doubt if these gents are unarmed. Just my 2 cents
    This has all the hallmarks of an urban legend. Now they're armed, hallucinatin', and homicidal!!

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Outfitte
    I heard some hikers were drinking in the Paddlers pub got drunk and went hiking!
    yea I've been to the paddlers pub...

I guess my point is that unless this group of allegedly meth-head hikers are actively attacking other hikers or becoming aggressive toward others ..then that is info that is important. heck, the military has given soldiers/pilot amphetamines before, now I don't think it is a good idea and I wouldn't do them myself except under a doctor's supervision...but as long as they are not hurting others ...then it is thier body they are doing it to.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle
    This has all the hallmarks of an urban legend. Now they're armed, hallucinatin', and homicidal!!
    i agree...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

tideblazer
    Images

Default no worries

They'll probably won't make it to Maine. Sounds like typical weekender beer-binge types to me. I go up there all the time and have never seen meth. There is a lot of it in North Georgia, I understand. It's a shame. "Big brother" doesn't belong on the trail, but I would definitely say something myself to people disgracing the trail like that. Last thing we need is a "crime" patrol on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    yea I've been to the paddlers pub...

I guess my point is that unless this group of allegedly meth-head hikers are actively attacking other hikers or becoming aggressive toward others ..then that is info that is important. heck, the military has given soldiers/pilot amphetamines before, now I don't think it is a good idea and I wouldn't do them myself except under a doctor's supervision...but as long as they are not hurting others ...then it is thier body they are doing it to.

Hey Smoky,
    Site your example of the military giving soldiers amphetamines.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    Hey Smoky,

Smoky's correct.

"Amphetamines, a prescription drug, are known on the street as uppers or speed. Yet, a 20/20 investigation has found, the amphetamines, the speed pills, are now standard issue to U.S. Air Force combat pilots, to help them stay awake on long combat sorties."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/...lls021220.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Meth...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Meth is a major problem in and around Damascus. Last Wednesday, Federal, State, County and local cops raided a house 4 doors down from me. The idiots were "cooking" as the cops busted in. I hate dopers.

like LONE WOLF said...lots of "cooking" going on in Tennessee too! I work in the media & see news stories about folks busted everyday for "manufacturing" (or "cooking") methamphetamine or "Meth".

its a plague in our country...a cheap "high" & cheap to make with all the components available @ your local Wal-mart or any other store.

as for meth use on the trail.....no hassles, no concerns!
    if they don't bother me (just like pot smokers & drinkers) i don't bother them.

Live & Let Live...

and I 2nd the motion of no trail cops
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Hey Smoky,
    even in world war II , korea, and vietnam,

and today they are legally given to little children for ADHD.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/amp01.htm

it's common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    Smoky's correct.

"Amphetamines, a prescription drug, are known on the street as uppers or speed. Yet, a 20/20 investigation has found, the amphetamines, the speed pills, are now standard issue to U.S. Air Force combat pilots, to help them stay awake on long combat sorties."

Smoky is not correct, nor are you. I asked for resource to SOLDIERS being given amphetamines. You sited the well know example of pilots on long flight missions. Soldiers and pilots are not the same. So, please site the reference to soldiers being given amphetamines.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    even in world war II , korea, and vietnam,

and today they are legally given to little children for ADHD.

it's common knowledge.
    You still did not answer the question. Site an example of amphetamines being given to soldiers. It is not common knowledge, except in the well known and widely reported instances of pilots being given drugs to assist them on long missions. Please don't throw around loose accusations of a serious nature unless you can back up the accusation. If you can site me the reference of soldiers being given amphetamines I will gladly accept your response, but until you can site the reference you're guilty of spreading rumors.

Images

You still did not answer the question. Site an example of amphetamines being given to soldiers. It is not common knowledge, except in the well known and widely reported instances of pilots being given drugs to assist them on long missions. Please don't throw around loose accusations of a serious nature unless you can back up the accusation. If you can site me the reference of soldiers being given amphetamines I will gladly accept your response, but until you can site the reference you're guilty of spreading rumors.

And just how many hairs would you like to split?? I would categorize anyone working in the armed forces as soldiers...... whether in planes, on ships, or on land.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Your search engine broke?

Smoky is not correct, nor are you. I asked for resource to SOLDIERS being given amphetamines. You sited the well know example of pilots on long flight missions. Soldiers and pilots are not the same. So, please site the reference to soldiers being given amphetamines.

Google "army amphetamine" and click on the first link.

"Included in U.S. Army survival kits, amphetamines were widely distributed by all armies to their soldiers as a remedy for fatigue. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    Smoky's correct.

This is not anphetamines, Meth is a synthetic, different, homemade drug with very different, dangerous side effects. I am aware of speed and its use in the military and it was mostly stopped a very long time ago circa korean war. I worked for the USN Bureau of Medicine & Surgery for a long time in the 70's.
    The bad effects out way any true benefit. That report goes on to say that Speed is a schedule 2 controlled narcotic like cocaine which would make one believe it is just a street drug. Coke and speed are among a group,
    Schedule II High rate of addiction, anphetamines, cocaine, codeine, morphine, & demerol. All have limited use in controlled medical environments.
    All also quite addictive and abused. Most of the High brass goes on to say in that report that this practice is unacceptable. Having also served as a combat related medical person, I was asked to issue these and told my troops that if it did not get issued to me, I was not giving them out.
    Most countries outside the US, you can buy this and other scheduled narcotics over the counter. Some MD's and Corpsman did and used it in the bush. Quoating 20/20 or any other BS TV show is just that, BS
    As far urban legend, the facts about the outcome of continued use is documented and usually the type of critters using this **** are not social boy scouts so violence, weapons and paranoia all go hand in hand. whether these critters are actually on our trail or not is anyones guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by okpik
    ... As far urban legend, the facts about the outcome of continued use is documented and usually the type of critters using this **** are not social boy scouts so violence, weapons and paranoia all go hand in hand. whether these critters are actually on our trail or not is anyones guess.
    Hey, the stuff's bad, but let's not get hysterical. Amped up, homicidal, paranoid, weapon brandishing hikers? Urban legend. We should all calm down until there's something remotely close to a verified sighting of crankers on the trail

Images

But the Defense Department, which distributed millions of amphetamine tablets to troops during World War II, Vietnam and the Gulf War, soldiers on, insisting that they are not only harmless but beneficial.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,57434,00.html

another link...

During World War II, amphetamines were widely used to keep the fighting men going (during the Viet Nam war, American soldiers used more amphetamines than the rest of the world did during WWII).

Images

okpik are you saying that meth is not an amphetamine??

listen I don't think it is a great idea for anyone to use an amphetamine without medical supervision..

look we don't even have a confirmed report ..we certainly don't have any confirmed reports of these alledged "meth-heads" causing any altercations with other hikers..if they do I would like to hear about it and the location.

we certainly don't know what kind of substances this alledged group has...for all we know the have pharmaceutical dexeidrine...if they have anything.

and YES the US military has used amphetamines...the info with the pilots is just one and the latest public example.

so what is your opinion about folks who use steriods and testosterones on the trail?

Images

First off as any common sense would tell you what is being given out in the armed forces is not the same as the drug you pick up on the street.

Second there is no information leading anyone to think that the group is armed that is a rumor that was added once this information made its way to the public. The group (yes group as in more then 1) is suspected to have left springer mountain around the beginning of march between the 1st - 3rd.

USFS, ATC, NPS, and Local Law Enforcement has been informed and are working to resolve the problem as multiple complaints have been made. As a note none of the complaints have been of a violant nature. If you come in contact with the group it is suggested that you do not confront them but instead remember as much information about the group and location as possible and report it as soon as you can.If you have any information please contact either the ATC main office, NPS, or your nearest USFS ranger station. You do not need to provide a name if you do not wish.

Rangers where already going to be doing trail patrol on the AT this year and is not a result of this incident.

The statements made in this post are not being made on behalf of the NPS, ATC, or USFS. They are made by a fellow white blaze member attempting to provide you with more up to date and factual information.
    A-Town

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost. "
    -- JRR Tolkien

Images

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle
    Hey, the stuff's bad, but let's not get hysterical. Amped up, homicidal, paranoid, weapon brandishing hikers? Urban legend. We should all calm down until there's something remotely close to a verified sighting of crankers on the trail

I agree....

Dude on a surf board

Quote Originally Posted by azchipka
    USFS, ATC, NPS, and Local Law Enforcement has been informed and are working to resolve the problem as multiple complaints have been made.
    Oh, great. Now we have law enforcement officially hunting for witches on the A.T. I guess it's real easy to email a "complaint" based on a wild internet rumor these days.

For the rest of you. Time to break out the butt plugs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++