WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Well, western US climbers have adopted the exact opposite opinion on the SVEA, many have been MSR'ed one time too many.
    Most climbers are now using canister stoves and not white gas stoves.

Mountaineering is another ball of wax, however.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    The SVEA comes with a small, one cup aluminum pot that acts as a cover for the stove.
    It’s 1 ½ cups, not 1 cup.

You can put large pots on a Svea, I regularly use a 12-qt pot on it to heat water. It works great with the pot stands it has built into it.

I also like the fact that it has an attached tank. No hose to hook up, no hose or hose fittings to develop leaks from being bent up in the pack or from being plugged in and unplugged all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    You can put large pots on a Svea, I regularly use a 12-qt pot on it to heat water. It works great with the pot stands it has built into it.
    A 12-quart pot? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. 12 quarts = 3 gallons = 24 pounds of water. I'm not saying the Svea is a whole lot more or less tippy than any other camp stove, but at best the diameter is around 4.5". A 12-quart pot would have a diameter of at least 10-12".

I also like the fact that it has an attached tank. No hose to hook up, no hose or hose fittings to develop leaks from being bent up in the pack or from being plugged in and unplugged all the time.
    I've had zero problems with the hose or the fittings on my Whisperlite since 1988.

A 12-quart pot? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. 12 quarts = 3 gallons = 24 pounds of water. I'm not saying the Svea is a whole lot more or less tippy than any other camp stove, but at best the diameter is around 4.5". A 12-quart pot would have a diameter of at least 10-12".

I do it all the time, I’m going camping this weekend. I will take a picture (with the water boiling) of the Svea with the 12-qt pot on it filled up within a few inches of the top and post it when I get back.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I once boiled 35 ears of corn in a 10 gallon pot on top of an old Peak1 stove. I had to prop the whole thing up against something so it wouldn't fall off of the burner and it took about 1.5 hours, but "pirated" corn on the cob never tasted so good!

I collect Svea 123 type stoves ( incl. Primus, Optimus...), and have Soviet Army 'knockoffs'. the ones that Thor Hyerdale used on "Kontiki," and even German Army WW2 identical Brass stoves this doesn't include Brasilian German exodus type stoves that are all the same. I burn these sometimes 10 at a time and race differing pots of water to a boil. Like an idiot I bought a MSR Whisperlight InternationalE. On a three day SS canoe trip, drunk, for worst case scenario, tried to dismantle the pump. What was I thinking? Sober it is a nighmare. Give me a Svea type stove anyday, and you can, precariously, balance huge cauldrons.

I look forward to that Bob.

I do it all the time, I’m going camping this weekend. I will take a picture (with the water boiling) of the Svea with the 12-qt pot on it filled up within a few inches of the top and post it when I get back.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 09-22-2008 at 23:04. Reason: Inappropriate

Images

My hiking partner has a SVEA and he loves it, I personally hate it. I'd pick my pocket rocket over it any day. Also my dad has a whisperlite I pirate from him when I'm home and it performs better than the SVEA any day. I think the thing is that some people aren't willing to accept the evolution of backpacking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    . . . I think the thing is that some people aren't willing to accept the evolution of backpacking.
    I don't think anyone has represented the SVEA 123 as cutting edge technology, just a very old, very reliable design.

FWIW I bought a Peak 1 Multi-Fuel 20+ years ago when it was the latest and gee-whizziest thing out there. Over the years I've spent more for parts than the stove cost to buy. Frankly a SVEA would have been cheaper.

Sooo, anyone wanna trade a SVEA for a 20 year old Peak 1? I'll pay the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    I once boiled 35 ears of corn in a 10 gallon pot on top of an old Peak1 stove. I had to prop the whole thing up against something so it wouldn't fall off of the burner and it took about 1.5 hours, but "pirated" corn on the cob never tasted so good!
    Guys there's a limit and both of you have stretched it too far. Bob a Svea only puts out 1400 watts (under 5000 BTU) about half what you get from an average canister stove. OldStormcrow you can't cook 35 ears of corn in 10 gallons of water on a commercial 36000 btu burner.

Here is the picture of the Svea heating 12 quarts of water. It’s fairly stable, and unless you hit the pot hard it will not topple over. Like I said, I have been doing this for years and I never had a problem yet.

Maybe it works for me because I tried it (and it worked) before any stove experts told me it would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Guys there's a limit and both of you have stretched it too far. Bob a Svea only puts out 1400 watts (under 5000 BTU) about half what you get from an average canister stove.
    That mean a canister stove will heat the water twice as fast as the Svea, assuming it had a good pot support like the Svea does.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I think the thing is that some people aren't willing to accept the evolution of backpacking.
    You could make the same (meaningless) argument about a lot of things.

We have cars and jets, why don’t backpackers accept the evolution of travel and drive or fly the 2200 miles instead of walking?

Here is the picture of the Svea heating 12 quarts of water. It’s fairly stable, and unless you hit the pot hard it will not topple over. Like I said, I have been doing this for years and I never had a problem yet.

Maybe it works for me because I tried it (and it worked) before any stove experts told me it would not work.
    Bob,very cool!!!!! Power to the SVEA people!!!
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 09-22-2008 at 08:07. Reason: Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Guys there's a limit and both of you have stretched it too far. Bob a Svea only puts out 1400 watts (under 5000 BTU) about half what you get from an average canister stove. OldStormcrow you can't cook 35 ears of corn in 10 gallons of water on a commercial 36000 btu burner.
    Proof? Just opinions?

For instance...I cook corn on coals...no water involved!

Whats an average canister stove?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I don't think anyone has represented the SVEA 123 as cutting edge technology, just a very old, very reliable design.

FWIW I bought a Peak 1 Multi-Fuel 20+ years ago when it was the latest and gee-whizziest thing out there. Over the years I've spent more for parts than the stove cost to buy. Frankly a SVEA would have been cheaper.

Sooo, anyone wanna trade a SVEA for a 20 year old Peak 1? I'll pay the shipping.
    Sure, I will trade one. Shipping is $60 Actually I do have one for sale/trade.

sorry for the double post,not sure how that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    sorry for the double post,not sure how that happened.
    Too quick on the post button. It does this to me every once in a while, I click on post and it does nothing, so being impatient like most of us are I click it again, then it takes both.

Here is the picture of the Svea heating 12 quarts of water.
    Thanks for posting that, Bob. It looks as silly as I imagined it would.

It works good, it takes about 20 to 23-min for the water to start boiling. When camping with a group of people (5 this weekend) it makes more then enough hot water to wash the day’s dishes. Really it’s more then stable enough to not fall over.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++