WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

get two soda cans and some JB Weld, make yourself a pressurized alcohol stove over night. http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm displayed here as open jet, the one I've been using for years took me VERY little time to make, very little knowledge, almost NO cost at all, infact it cost nothing. just make it, try it, throw it out of you don't like it. MUCH less of an investment than dragonfly

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I made a lovely ragu last night served over macaroni. Frittata on side. The salad with sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, black olives and red roasted peppers also rocked. For dessert, I chilled fresh peaches in white wine with a little sugar. Nice way to make use of some left over fruit.

With winter coming, I'm thinking of making a roast infused with garlic, covered with rosemary and olive oil. Should be good....

Maybe I'll try my hand at saag. Can never have enough Indian(s) food.
    Mmm, that sounds _wonderful_! Hope your "lady friend" was duly impressed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Mmm, that sounds _wonderful_! Hope your "lady friend" was duly impressed.
    She was...

Now, I just have to make sure I don't screw up too much.

(The fine backpacking list suggested by Summit (WINE, Wine and wine..with my addition of CHOCOLATE) should help....

Back to our stoves discussion aka MY STOVE IS BETTER THAN YOURS...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    I am thinking of upgrading from my old faithful camp-fire-cooking.

Also, I've been camping and hiking since I was a young kid in scouts, and have used different fuels (propane, wood, fuel tabs), but am not sure exactly what type of alcohol is being burnt? Could anyone please help out the uninformed new guy? Thank you!
    Camp fire cooking is the only way to go when cooking for a group. To up-grade from campfire cooking is Blasphemy!!!! My ears don't want to hear that kind of talk

A good alcohol stove for you and your troop is the Fancee Feest. I has a fuel capacity of 3 ounces. It loves denatured alcohol.

Now that your 29, you probably would be better off with a canister stove. The kids are of age to register them in scouting for their campfire fun.

Ever notice how kids have a sixth sense that enables them to know when you get near the fire ring to start making a campfire? Bam!!!!!! the're right there along side of you asking if they can help They love a campfire and so do I. It's my number one choice for dinner prep. Easy to find fuel even after a rain. Usually I collect befor the rain

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Moderators can be recognized because our names are in red. Normal moderators can only edit posts and do other special things in the particular forums they are responsible for. For me that is the Trailheads and Shuttles and Special Points of Interest forums. (Don't start any funny business there, or I'll get after you!)

Moderators usually volunteer to become moderators because we spend a lot of time on Whiteblaze anyway, so it's not that much of a stretch to keep an eye on a forum or two. Since we spend a lot of time on the site, we are often prone to offering comments/info/jokes/whatever as regular posters. We are, of course, supposed to be stellar examples of exemplary comportment to you normal mortals, and should always behave ourselves with the utmost propriety.
    Thank you Marta for clearing this up. I was out actually hiking for two days and not here to take up for myself. I will suggest however in the future if a member has issues with being moderated they take it up with the moderator via PM, not in a thread. Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    She was...

Now, I just have to make sure I don't screw up too much.

(The fine backpacking list suggested by Summit (WINE, Wine and wine..with my addition of CHOCOLATE) should help....

Back to our stoves discussion aka MY STOVE IS BETTER THAN YOURS...
    Well, it is!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

You are right Zelph, I admit it...I still cook over fire, even at home! My foil makes great cookware, and dinner clean up is a snap. Plus, the kids love eating in the yard.

My kids do love the whole fire making process. As soon as we get near the fire pit at home, or set up camp in some remote section of the forest, we immediately start the fire prep work and I let them pick which type of fire we are making that night. The only drawback I do not like is the crud my pans are covered in afterwards when we are in a place without water nearby. Just seems wasteful to use our consumption water for cleaning.

By the way, I just happened to be checking out your stoves yesterday. Nice and simple.

Pyromania is what seperates us from the lower life forms,
    but small open fires are what keep us connected.

Hobbo stoves and Kelly Kettles also work, and are good adaptations for solo or smaller groups.

Section and wanna be thru hiker bbanker's Avatar

Default Simmerlite

Hooligan, to get back on your topic...
    I have a Peak 1 multi fuel - very heavy, very reliable
    Pocket rocket - very light, works well for 3 season for my wife and I and maybe another (young nephew, light eater)
    Simmerlite - love it, works great, took a little practice to get the hang of priming it without a huge fireball (which kids love by the way), and also took a little practice to get it to simmer well, but I have mastered it now.
    I also own and make a lot of alcohol stoves as well, and mostly use them for solo, or for warm summer with 2 people.
    Bottom line for your question: I love my simmerlite. It is not the lightest option that I own but it is my first choice for any winter camping, or with groups of 2-3 or more. I don't regret my purchase in the least, and will continue to use it regularly. I would highly recommend it for your purposes.
    If you have any more questions please PM me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++