WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The old Gooch Shelter

I thru-hiked in 2002 and had a bunch of jerks in the new Gooch shelter when I went through. It was a rainy day so some of the people didn't hike anywhere and were just taking up space. At that point in the journey the trail is still weeding out the inconsiderate people. Anyway, I stayed with 5 other people, who were told there wasn't enough room "unless it was an emergency", at the old gooch. Man, that place was a life-saver. I understand that you need to be ready to tent an blah blah blah... I heard this shelter was torn down. Well, that is the worst news about the AT I've ever heard. If anywhere along the trail needs another shelter it's in the most croweded area(the begining for most), during the spring. Rain can be expected and when the trail is beating you up on only your second day, a shleter is a hikers best friend. So, let me know if I'm wrong about it gettting torn down, but if it has I'll never forget it. I feel that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have another shelter in the first few days of a GAME hike... maybe where the old Gooch was?!

I can't imagine that the shelter was torn down since it was brand new when we went through in 2002.

GAME 2000
    Images

Originally posted by Presto
    I can't imagine that the shelter was torn down since it was brand new when we went through in 2002.
    The old shelter at Gooch GAP was still standing in all it's glory earlier this month... the new shelter at Gooch MOUNTAIN was also in fine shape. If you are still confused, you can go to the photo section and see the differences in the shelters.

The new shelter was built due to the old shelter being close to a forrest service road and receiving a lot of traffic from car campers.
    Both are available and retreive the traffic from the early high traffic from the start of the hiker season. After Neal's Gap the drop out rate is high and the other shelters seem to handle the traffic very well. i have used both Goose Gap shelters four times this season and had no problems.

Thanks Youngblood - its coming back to me now. Wonder what I will forget about next.

GAME 2000
    Images
    Last edited by Youngblood; 08-22-2003 at 17:03.

Images

There used to be a mouse trap above the door at the Gap shelter, it had a recipe for fresh mouse stew on it. Great fun!!

Anyone copy this recipe down? I would love ot have it, and forgot to copy it myself last time I was there (in 97).

It started something like: Take one mouse,,,,,

Thanks!

Doctari.

The old gooch gap shelter was gone when I went through there a few weeks ago. only tent sites left there now.

++ New Posts ++