WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What is the best way to cook a potato in a campfire?

I have never cooked potatoes in a fire, I would like to try this, this weekend. I don’t want to burn the outside but want it cooked in the middle. What is a good way to do this?

I am car camping and have an almost unlimited amount of wood for the fire, so getting a good bed of coals is no problem.

Pre-boil (or nuke) them, maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of the way to "done". Wrap them in foil. At camp, lay them in the coals and bake them to completion.

Never thought about pre-boiling them, I should have because I do this with meat I barbecue over a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Never thought about pre-boiling them, I should have because I do this with meat I barbecue over a fire.
    Same idea.

Images

Hold potato in hands. Stick in fire. Cook until done.

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by halibut15 View Post
    Hold potato in hands. Stick in fire. Cook until done.
    LOL

I haven't done that in many years, but when I did ... we did it with hot rocks at the edge of the fire. Then dug a tiny shallow hole and put the rock on the potatoe (potatoe already in tin foil) and it baked that way but it takes a while ...

Default baked taters

Stick a metal tent stake into middle of spud it will bake in half the time

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Sensible potatoes

I have never cooked potatoes in a fire, I would like to try this, this weekend. I don’t want to burn the outside but want it cooked in the middle. What is a good way to do this?
    Bring potato flakes instead of whole potatoes. In a baggie, mix potato flakes, dry milk, garlic flakes, butter buds, and salt. Add boiling water. Thank me while eating.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

I am car camping and have an almost unlimited amount of wood for the fire, so getting a good bed of coals is no problem.
    Wash and then Quarter potato lengthwise. Combine 1 tsp butter, 1 tsp olive oil, a clove minced garlic, and 1 tsp chopped parsley, coat potato slices, lightly salt and add coarse ground pepper. Wrap tightly in a foil packet bury in coals for about 30 -40 minutes

cookin potatoes in a campfire not burned on the outside and cooked in the middles my middle name! heres how. you will need:
    spatula or tongs
    salt
    pepper
    foil
    chair
    car
    house
    airplane
    girlfriend
    barber
    lawer
    doctor
    trailguid
    zen master teacher
    anti matthewski pills
    bag to put matthewski in
    trash heap to dump body
    etc
    matthewski

In other words, a good base of coals is like an oven at home, just use foil for your favorite oven recipe or a reflector for breads and such.

A word of caution about pre- cooked potatoes: they should actually finish cooking in the coals. Really cook. There have been botulism outbreaks from fully cooked potatoes that were stored at room temperature and just warmed to serve.

I wash the raw potatoes, grease the skins, and wrap in foil. Lay them or bury them in coals, turning occasionally. Squeeze to test for doneness (stabbing through the foil with a knife or fork lets in grit).

I wouldn't pre boil them, tends to make the skin softer and more susceptible to burn. roll in tinfoil and add a tspn of butter and a tspn of water, and seal tightly, digging a small hole in the center of a good base of coals and then spreading them around the potato is the best way to get an even cook. Takes about 45 minutes.

Burnt things are more fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    A word of caution about pre- cooked potatoes: they should actually finish cooking in the coals. Really cook. There have been botulism outbreaks from fully cooked potatoes that were stored at room temperature and just warmed to serve.

I wash the raw potatoes, grease the skins, and wrap in foil. Lay them or bury them in coals, turning occasionally. Squeeze to test for doneness (stabbing through the foil with a knife or fork lets in grit).

Never in my 13 years in the restaurant industry have I heard of Botulism coming from a potato. I'm not saying it "can't" happen I just think that is a little far fetched and paranoid. My friend eats his "Irish french fries" every day, simply a raw potato rinsed slightly chopped into eight pieces and consumed.

Being scared of botulism in a potato is the fastest way to overcook it.

Dig a small hole where you are gonna light your fire then take your taters wrapped in foil and bury them lightly, or you can wrap them in foil and place in a small cheap throwaway aluminum bread pan covered in foil(this keeps dirt off the taters) and bury that lightly. Start your fire directly over the buried taters, get a good bed of coals and let it burn for couple hours.Dig your taters up and enjoy.Works with fresh caught fish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    In other words, a good base of coals is like an oven at home, just use foil for your favorite oven recipe or a reflector for breads and such.
    note: a reflector oven works best with flame not coals. use coals for dutch oven cooking.

Gosh, I didn't expect to stir up things. Here's a pdf bulletin from BC's Centre for Disease Control. It gives some safety tips and discussion.

Images

Wrap raw potato in foil and throw into coals of fire. I did it this weekend and they came out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Never in my 13 years in the restaurant industry have I heard of Botulism coming from a potato. I'm not saying it "can't" happen I just think that is a little far fetched and paranoid. My friend eats his "Irish french fries" every day, simply a raw potato rinsed slightly chopped into eight pieces and consumed.

Being scared of botulism in a potato is the fastest way to overcook it.
    Actually,Homer,it can happen and has happened.
    Trust me on this as I have over 25 years in the food industry,my
    brother is a food scientist,and my best friend is head of food science
    at a major university.

Claustridium botulinum is an anerobic bacteria and if the spores
    are present and the foil makes an airtight seal and all the factors
    are"right" ,then the toxin can form and it is vewey vewey deadly.

So deadly in fact that a former middle eastern dictator had a lady
    known as "Doctor Death" playing around with it but there is no
    evidence that she was using spuds.

So proper food safety is a must;particulary when you are in the
    wilderness and there is no easy access to medical assistance.
    In all probability I would say contaminated GORP and water has
    a higher chance of affecting the average person.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    Actually,Homer,it can happen and has happened.
    Trust me on this as I have over 25 years in the food industry,my
    brother is a food scientist,and my best friend is head of food science
    at a major university.

Claustridium botulinum is an anerobic bacteria and if the spores
    are present and the foil makes an airtight seal and all the factors
    are"right" ,then the toxin can form and it is vewey vewey deadly.

So deadly in fact that a former middle eastern dictator had a lady
    known as "Doctor Death" playing around with it but there is no
    evidence that she was using spuds.

So proper food safety is a must;particulary when you are in the
    wilderness and there is no easy access to medical assistance.
    In all probability I would say contaminated GORP and water has
    a higher chance of affecting the average person.
    Oldfivetango

All very interesting. Sounds like as you said all the factors have to be "right" in order for it to happen... and as I said "I'm not saying it can't happen" I have never created an air tight seal I suppose, I always roll the potato twice in tinfoil and twist the ends and leave them like that, they act as steam vents to let the little bit of water in that I add to "steam" them. When I pull them out they are nice and dry and the salt from the butter I add helps to extract excess moisture inside the potato.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++