WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting married in Damascus

So my trail partner Mt. Dew and I got engaged a few weeks ago. We're trying to pick out a wedding location, and I thought it would be wonderful if we could get married in Damascus. The problem is, I'm having trouble finding a spot that could host 100 people (my parents say we can't get it any smaller).

I thought about The Old Mill Inn, but their website is down and they're not answering their phone. Does anyone know if they're still in business. I also found Damascus Eat's website, and they do catering, cakes and photography, but I still don't know where we'd have the reception.

Does anyone from the Damascus area (or who's just in the know), have any suggestions for places we could check out. It would be in August of next year. I'd really love to get married under the AT trail arch, so I'm hoping we can make this work. Thanks so much!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Old Mill has been on bad terms with Damascus as of late. Especially trying to get the town to open up liquor by the drink, just so they can sell mixed drinks.

Have it set on the AT/Creeper section so you can walk down the trail..lol If Trail Days can fit in the park then a wedding can happen there. You might be able to rent one of the churches in town.

Food City might cater. I know some of their newer stores in the area are getting quite gourmet on their in-store foods. The B&Bs are good place to start for a reception.

Abingdon would have some high end reception spots. Martha Washington and the hardware restaurant.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

to heck with the old mill, food city and abingdon. WHEN do you want to get married? What kind of food do you want? what's the budget? talk to me. i have damascus connections

Sounds like an offer to be the minister. I can just imagine family members reading the program and seeing "Lone Wolf" as the officiant.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    Sounds like an offer to be the minister. I can just imagine family members reading the program and seeing "Lone Wolf" as the officiant.
    nope. serious offer. i don't believe in no god but can direct those in the right direction that do so don't assume although i guarantee i'd be more sincere than a minister if i was to officiate

Lone Wolf,

I appreciate the offer to help. We're looking at a Saturday or Sunday next August. In terms of food, I think we're pretty much okay with most things. My mom nixed the pizza idea (I was all set for Siciliy's), but basically as long as it's tasty I'm good to go. Mostly I'm just concerned about finding a place to put up 100 people.

I'd really like to do either a sit-down meal or an afternoon tea, both with a cocktail hour beforehand (although I realize I can only have beer and wine in Damascus). Inside or outside is fine (although outside we'd need a tent). My biggest thing is contacting the town to see about having the ceremony right in the park where the trail goes through. =) I'll be making lots of phone calls tomorrow, but any thoughts now or in the future would be greatly appreciated!!!

I got married there during Trail Daze in `93 !!!! HAIRNT !

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Brite View Post
    Lone Wolf,

I appreciate the offer to help. We're looking at a Saturday or Sunday next August. In terms of food, I think we're pretty much okay with most things. My mom nixed the pizza idea (I was all set for Siciliy's), but basically as long as it's tasty I'm good to go. Mostly I'm just concerned about finding a place to put up 100 people.

I'd really like to do either a sit-down meal or an afternoon tea, both with a cocktail hour beforehand (although I realize I can only have beer and wine in Damascus). Inside or outside is fine (although outside we'd need a tent). My biggest thing is contacting the town to see about having the ceremony right in the park where the trail goes through. =) I'll be making lots of phone calls tomorrow, but any thoughts now or in the future would be greatly appreciated!!!
    you can rent out the gazebo at the town park for a small fee. call the town hall for info. also the damascus volunteer rescue squad has a large hall they also rent. i'm a member so i can point you in the right direction if you're interested

Images

The problem is going to be hotel accommodations for 100 people, if I am reading R-B's post correctly. (Best wishes, BTW.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

there's plenty of motel options 10 miles away in Abingdon plus B&B and cottage rentals in Damascus. and plenty of camping options too

Wazza matter the Doyle not good enough for ya? All joking aside, best wishes for a beautiful wedding day and a long happy life together.

I got married atop Hook Mountain in Upper Nyack, NY - 5 feet off of the Long Path in 1989. Still married to the same woman.

Congrats.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Attachment 4849Hi Rainbow Brite, Congratulations to you and Mt. Dew. Here is a photo of you at Kincora in 2006 on you hike. We met again in the Whites and I remember how happy both of you were.
    Turtle2

++ New Posts ++