WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What is in that chocolate?

Melamine found in Chinese made Cadbury chocolate http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...1&cat=breaking

When I saw this title I thought this would be about the recently reported substitution of vegetable oil for cocoa butter in some products formerly labeled as including "milk chocolate." I understand that lowers the melt point, and I've already experienced packages of Milk Duds turning into a large Dud as a result.

I guess the proper "free-market" response is to avoid purchasing food processed in China. The question is, how do you know? Is that always apparent from the label? Was this chocolate labeled as "Made in China" ?

Images

Some of these recalls are products that involved the use of powdered milk from China.

That, is a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I guess the proper "free-market" response is to avoid purchasing food processed in China. The question is, how do you know? Is that always apparent from the label? Was this chocolate labeled as "Made in China" ?

It makes one wonder if China made products are being stamped made in USA?

I would have to imagine some companies are doing this.

Images

No wonder my butt feels like plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Cleans real easy and is microwave proof.

They didn't say in the link, but later reports in the midst of the market news linked it to the Chinese milk scandal. A new law came into effect that requires clear country of origin marking on produce but I don't know what else.

In the US confectionery products are required to be labeled with country of origin IF said country is not the USA.

For example, the Hershey bar continues to be made in Pennsylvania as it has for over 100 years but there is no country of origin statement on most packages of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    In the US confectionery products are required to be labeled with country of origin IF said country is not the USA.

For example, the Hershey bar continues to be made in Pennsylvania as it has for over 100 years but there is no country of origin statement on most packages of it.
    I'll stick with Hershey chocolate then, and never buy it in dollar stores where even the labels look bogus.

You're probably safe with Toblerone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    reminds me of a spoof movie when holes in jeans were covered in clear plastic..... possibly a 70's thing.

Well I won't be eating Cadbury anytime soon.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

China's two biggest exports.

1) Melamine

2) Lead

Makes you want to buy USA.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

This keeps on getting uglier, radio reports this morning indicate that any product using Chinese origin milk or milk powder may be contaminated.

Images

You're probably safe with Toblerone.
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Care to bet on whether or not they get some of their raw materials from China?

Help me out here:
    • isn't this the same chemical that was found in some Chinese pet food?
    • wasn't the reason similar, to make the pet food test like it had higher protein content?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Care to bet on whether or not they get some of their raw materials from China?

Help me out here:
    • isn't this the same chemical that was found in some Chinese pet food?
    • wasn't the reason similar, to make the pet food test like it had higher protein content?
    • Yep
    • Yep
    I read food labels but, yeah, they don't necessarily disclose sources of ingredients. Historical note: US enacted the Pure Food and Drug act more than 100 years ago.

++ New Posts ++