Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default What is in that chocolate?

    Melamine found in Chinese made Cadbury chocolate http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...1&cat=breaking

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-19-2007
    Location
    Hummelstown & Tioga, PA
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    When I saw this title I thought this would be about the recently reported substitution of vegetable oil for cocoa butter in some products formerly labeled as including "milk chocolate." I understand that lowers the melt point, and I've already experienced packages of Milk Duds turning into a large Dud as a result.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    I guess the proper "free-market" response is to avoid purchasing food processed in China. The question is, how do you know? Is that always apparent from the label? Was this chocolate labeled as "Made in China" ?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-26-2007
    Location
    maine
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,964
    Images
    35

    Default

    Some of these recalls are products that involved the use of powdered milk from China.

    That, is a can of worms.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-17-2007
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I guess the proper "free-market" response is to avoid purchasing food processed in China. The question is, how do you know? Is that always apparent from the label? Was this chocolate labeled as "Made in China" ?

    It makes one wonder if China made products are being stamped made in USA?

    I would have to imagine some companies are doing this.

  6. #6
    Registered User mtnkngxt's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-29-2007
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    732
    Images
    1

    Default

    No wonder my butt feels like plastic.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    No wonder my butt feels like plastic.
    Cleans real easy and is microwave proof.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I guess the proper "free-market" response is to avoid purchasing food processed in China. The question is, how do you know? Is that always apparent from the label? Was this chocolate labeled as "Made in China" ?
    They didn't say in the link, but later reports in the midst of the market news linked it to the Chinese milk scandal. A new law came into effect that requires clear country of origin marking on produce but I don't know what else.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-19-2007
    Location
    Hummelstown & Tioga, PA
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    In the US confectionery products are required to be labeled with country of origin IF said country is not the USA.

    For example, the Hershey bar continues to be made in Pennsylvania as it has for over 100 years but there is no country of origin statement on most packages of it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    In the US confectionery products are required to be labeled with country of origin IF said country is not the USA.

    For example, the Hershey bar continues to be made in Pennsylvania as it has for over 100 years but there is no country of origin statement on most packages of it.
    I'll stick with Hershey chocolate then, and never buy it in dollar stores where even the labels look bogus.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    You're probably safe with Toblerone.

  12. #12
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,435
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    No wonder my butt feels like plastic.
    reminds me of a spoof movie when holes in jeans were covered in clear plastic..... possibly a 70's thing.

    Well I won't be eating Cadbury anytime soon.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  13. #13

    Default

    China's two biggest exports.

    1) Melamine

    2) Lead

    Makes you want to buy USA.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

  14. #14

    Default

    This keeps on getting uglier, radio reports this morning indicate that any product using Chinese origin milk or milk powder may be contaminated.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-20-2003
    Location
    Lovely Mayretta
    Posts
    4,229
    Images
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    You're probably safe with Toblerone.
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Care to bet on whether or not they get some of their raw materials from China?

    Help me out here:
    • isn't this the same chemical that was found in some Chinese pet food?
    • wasn't the reason similar, to make the pet food test like it had higher protein content?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Care to bet on whether or not they get some of their raw materials from China?




    Help me out here:
    • isn't this the same chemical that was found in some Chinese pet food?
    • wasn't the reason similar, to make the pet food test like it had higher protein content?
    • Yep
    • Yep
    I read food labels but, yeah, they don't necessarily disclose sources of ingredients. Historical note: US enacted the Pure Food and Drug act more than 100 years ago.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •