WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Well Terrapin's entitled to his opinion, but I heard hikers comment (and complain) about shelters long before Whiteblaze ever existed. For him to say
    that comments of this sort are limited to this website simply isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Well Terrapin's entitled to his opinion, but I heard hikers comment (and complain) about shelters long before Whiteblaze ever existed. For him to say that comments of this sort are limited to this website simply isn't true.
    Please, provide a cite or link to a comparable anti-shelter sentiment on another hiking forum (preferably one where you and/or LoneWolf aren't BMOCs.)

but I heard hikers comment (and complain) about shelters long before Whiteblaze ever existed. For him to say
    yup i heard "shelters suck" on my first AT hike 22 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Huh. The shelter isn't my house, so there is no real comparison. It's a place for sharing the trail and the experience with other hikers.

1. Meeting other hikers with varied interests and backgrounds is cool.
    2. My bivy/cover has mesh over the upper body and head. No mice.
    3. One work: Earplugs. Maybe that's two words.
    4. I sleep like a log.
    5. Sometimes true. So?
    6. Large groups and whining kids are also allowed to use the trail and the shelters. Teach by example.
    7. Yeah, I do that. Nobody notices on account of the hiker funk.
    8. They will eventually learn. Or not.
    9. No, those people (and I haven't met that many) don't have any manners in the "real" world either.
    10. So answer truthfully.

Maybe my experience is flawed because I mostly hike in cold weather. Fewer hikers, no mice. But there are plenty of times that I've been happy to get to a shelter at the end of the day. It's just another part of the A.T. experience. (And yes, I always carry my own shelter, too.)
    Gonna have to agree. Love to tent, love the shelters. I'm a guy who likes to have a fire... sometimes in the morning too. I've stayed at shelters for a few days at a stretch in the winter time... when it's not crowded. Glad most people don't want to stay in them...

What I like most is plopping down, taking up too much space dropping my pack in the center of the shelter, let out a good fart and turn the conversation to politics... Snore like a bear, pee twice during the night and have a blast doing it. Gotta love shelter life

Um, Terrapin, my comments about where I'd heard other anti-shelter sentiment was referring to comments made over the years out on the Trail and by other hikers.

Believe it or not, for some of us, when we're talking about time spent in the hiking community, we're not merely talking about the time we spend hanging out on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Please, provide a cite or link to a comparable anti-shelter sentiment on another hiking forum (preferably one where you and/or LoneWolf aren't BMOCs.)
    all other hiker forums hardly have any contributors. they're all here so why don't you start a "shelters are glorious" thread for you and your ilk

And just for reference, I believe the same dirt and grime that ends up in a shelter at the end of the day, also ends up in ones tent. You walk all day, you stop and no matter what you do to shake it all off, scrub it, rub it, or dry it... your gonna bring some of the mountain in with you. Dirt does not kill you.

Why the drama? Don't like shelters? Don't stay in them! Or find a trail that doesn't have shelters.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Well Terrapin's entitled to his opinion, but I heard hikers comment (and complain) about shelters long before Whiteblaze ever existed. For him to say
    But he isn't stating his opinion about shelters. He is stating his opinion about those who post about avoiding shelters. Instead, he might consider stating why he feels shelters are such a great place to stay, but I suspect he knows he doesn't have a compelling argument and is unwilling to admit someone else is right.

The hell with the "newbies", like another forum out there or any other source of information one uses to gather data you got to take in all information and process it for yourself. There’s BS in any source of info (including books at a library), WB is no exception, yes there’s a lot of BS, but there’s also a lot of good.

P.S. I can say, "the hell with the newbies", because I’m basically one I haven’t been here too long, about the same time I’ve been a part of the AT community. I’m just a baby in this world.

Images

The PCT and CDT do quite well without shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The PCT and CDT do quite well without shelters.
    and ferry services

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    But he isn't stating his opinion about shelters. He is stating his opinion about those who post about avoiding shelters. Instead, he might consider stating why he feels shelters are such a great place to stay, but I suspect he knows he doesn't have a compelling argument and is unwilling to admit someone else is right.
    LMAO...good thread

Images

Shelters aren't all that bad. They are a very social and unique part of the AT (and a few other eastern trails). They offer pleasant company and enjoyable evenings the vast majority of time. The not-so-nice times are filed away with most other less than pleasant experiences on the trail and vastly eclipsed by the good ones.

Always carry your own shelter and if you come upon a group or individual that may not be to your liking, then move on out. Not a problem. Generally shelters are an enjoyable experience for most. If you don't enjoy them, you will find that out soon enough and can then enjoy your tent or tarp. Not really an issue that requires a lot of debate or argument, no one is forcing the experience on anyone (except in the Smokies).

Images

Before I had ever set foot on the AT, I had 3 different people tell me to stay in a tent. These are people I met in person, who had been on the AT. They clued me into the rodent populations in shelters, the propensity of some to urinate in or near shelters, leave trash in or around shelters, and the close quarters with some hikers that can be annoying to you for one reason or another. This was enough to convince me to carry a tent.

Since I've been hiking the AT, I've seen and heard enough on my own to know it would take a pretty drastic weather event to get me to spend a night in a shelter.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Shelters are festering with all sorts of nasty contagents, during peak. During winter, after walking thru umpteen miles of snow and cold I have convinced myself that they are not as nasty, and since there the only dry ground available, and the register hasnt been signed in 4 weeks, well why not. But during peak, they do make hikers sick. They spread whatevers going around. If your softhanded, and from the city, chances are you'll contract something during heavy shelter use season. seen it a zillion times

Images

By the time I'd done my 2nd or 3rd five day section on the AT in Georgia I'd decided I didn't like shelters. This was during the early '80's, so the shelters in Georgia were the three sided jobs. Always wet when it rained and always had lots of mice.

Camp nearby and enjoy the social scene? Cook dinner there? Stop on a rainy day for lunch? Sure, but very rarely sleep in one.

Stir Fry

Some of the older shelters ant so nice, but teen those that have been rebilt are nice. Love them when its raining. If everyony followed the rules mice would go away.

Just like Karl's thread, and others I've seen, the page counter for this thread is indicating 3 pages, but there's only 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Shelters aren't all that bad. They are a very social and unique part of the AT (and a few other eastern trails). They offer pleasant company and enjoyable evenings the vast majority of time. The not-so-nice times are filed away with most other less than pleasant experiences on the trail and vastly eclipsed by the good ones.

Always carry your own shelter and if you come upon a group or individual that may not be to your liking, then move on out. Not a problem. Generally shelters are an enjoyable experience for most. If you don't enjoy them, you will find that out soon enough and can then enjoy your tent or tarp. Not really an issue that requires a lot of debate or argument, no one is forcing the experience on anyone (except in the Smokies).

Well said. That pretty much sums up my attitude as well.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++