WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Just like Karl's thread, and others I've seen, the page counter for this thread is indicating 3 pages, but there's only 2
    Something else that I've noticed is that when a thread starts doing this it's also accompanied by another problem.

The problem being: when I hit the "Go to first new Post" button, the computer only goes to the top of whichever page the last post is on.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same problem?

Storyteller
    Images

Newbie question here: I have heard all about the mice. But Cookie Monster really wants to spend a night in a shelter on her first overnighter on the AT (probably in the spring, though could still happen this fall).

Are the mice a problem on the second level of a two level shelter like Peters Mountain?

I have a nice small bivvy tent that is plenty light enough to carry, so a shelter is not a neccessity. But she thinks it would be cool (but she also would be freaked out by a mouse running across her, as would most 12-year-old girls (and her mom)

John, as it gets to the end I have realized that it anticipates the next post.... bet this is on page 3

Images

I find too many 'bottom-feeders' hanging out at shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    Newbie question here: I have heard all about the mice. But Cookie Monster really wants to spend a night in a shelter on her first overnighter on the AT (probably in the spring, though could still happen this fall).

Are the mice a problem on the second level of a two level shelter like Peters Mountain?

I have a nice small bivvy tent that is plenty light enough to carry, so a shelter is not a neccessity. But she thinks it would be cool (but she also would be freaked out by a mouse running across her, as would most 12-year-old girls (and her mom)

There has never been enough mice in a shelter to make it bother me. I have not stayed in a lot of shelters, maybe 20 but... seriously folks, we're out in nature. Mice aren't that bad. I used to have one as a pet...named him stewie. He was afraid of heights and didn't run, so he was an odd mouse. Spiders bother me more, always sweep them out first

Shelters are nice in the rain If not crowded. They usually have a flat place to sit and cook a meal. There must be something else but I can't think what.

mice are a problen on all levels. just don't sleep with your heads to the wall

In my experience, whether mice will be a problem or not largely depends on the season, and who's been at the shelter before you, and whether or not the prior hikers dealt properly with food storage, cooking, and litter.

I hiked SOBO in 2007, in August and September, well away from the thru-hiker waves, had shelters to myself most of the time, and had (almost) no problem with mice. One notable exception was Calf Mtn. shelter in SNP, which clearly had seen a lot of traffic and was noticeably grungy on arrival.

Generally, if a shelter doesn't appeal to me, I don't stay there. At Calf Mtn. I should have trusted my senses and tented. FWIW, Peters Mtn. Shelter was fine. I shared it with one other hiker.

Images

Lets put it this way, it will easier for the mice to get up there than it will be for you to get up there.

Panzer

You guys are funny to read. BTW, I slept in shelters Friday (Bromley) and Saturday (Peru Peak) in Vermont this past weekend. I stayed dry when it rained, there were no mice, and I had lots of room. I used my ear plugs and slept well. On other trips I have had mice, procupine, skunk, and homeless folk problems. I take is as it comes. If I want to use my tent, I do. It is up to me. What about hike your own hike? Anyway, keep on going back and forth. This is very amusing!
    You are never too old.

Images

Mice have no aversion to checking out the upper story as much as the lower.

One way to help avoid mice running over your face are to sleep toward the center of the shelter (not against a wall) with your head toward the open side. Mice tend to run along the walls (but not always) so keeping your head away from the walls reduces the amount of mouse traffic. You probably won't feel or notice them scampering across your feet. Sleeping this way also helps to alert you to rain coming into the shelter faster, before your bag gets the foot end soaked through.

I've slept at many shelters without noticing any mouse activity, others will be quite active and annoying. Luck of the draw any given night. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    mice are a problen on all levels. just don't sleep with your heads to the wall

Mice are usually a problem when you give them a food source. Like sleeping with your food.

FYI, a mouse can chew through a tent wall in a matter of seconds. Seen it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post

FYI, a mouse can chew through a tent wall in a matter of seconds. Seen it first hand.
    FYI, a mouse never chewed through my tent wall ever. Never seen it

Some hold a somewhat romantic notion about staying in a shelter that after 1 or 10 times fades away depending on the experience. Yes, mice inhabit all levels of a shelter, they climb quite well. Some shelters have larger populations than others. Some shelters are filthier than others. I am not familiar with the one you are referring to, but if you plan to stay in one, I recommend the following:

1) bring a tarp or something to lay underneath your sleeping pad
    2) sleep with your heads away from the walls, mice travel along the walls
    3) don't eat or keep food where you sleep, mice are quite adept at finding crumbs and opening foil sealed foods
    4) leave packs and zippers open. if mice want in, they will eat there way through your pack

there are probably other precautions, but these are the basics

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Some hold a somewhat romantic notion about staying in a shelter that after 1 or 10 times fades away depending on the experience. Yes, mice inhabit all levels of a shelter, they climb quite well. Some shelters have larger populations than others. Some shelters are filthier than others. I am not familiar with the one you are referring to, but if you plan to stay in one, I recommend the following:

1) bring a tarp or something to lay underneath your sleeping pad
    2) sleep with your heads away from the walls, mice travel along the walls
    3) don't eat or keep food where you sleep, mice are quite adept at finding crumbs and opening foil sealed foods
    4) leave packs and zippers open. if mice want in, they will eat there way through your pack

there are probably other precautions, but these are the basics
    Let me add to your list:

5) Keep hydration bladder bite valves up off the floor, away from the mice. I've had two of them destroyed by mice. they seem to like the soft plastic the valve is made of and gnaw on it.

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by whitegloves View Post
    Shelters are nice in the rain If not crowded. They usually have a flat place to sit and cook a meal. There must be something else but I can't think what.
    This is why there are mice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    FYI, a mouse never chewed through my tent wall ever. Never seen it
    That's uncharacteristic of you to disagree. Pardon me, you said you've seen everything

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Some hold a somewhat romantic notion about staying in a shelter that after 1 or 10 times fades away depending on the experience.
    And why exactly does that concern you? I mean, seriously, in what way does someone else's "romantic notion" impact you or your hike? I mean, you clearly have a low opinion of what "others" may have inferred from their own experience. So please, don't try to claim that there's anything selfless or altruistic about your initial post. It won't wash.

It's not like we're arguing about the best stove or sleeping bag or pack or tent. It's not a decision you need to make before your hike. Every hiker can decide for his or her self whether or not he or she wants to stay at a given shelter. Speaking personally -- it's often a choice that I don't make until I get there and look it over. If it's ugly, or if I don't care for the folks gathered there, or if I'd rather have the privacy of my tent that night, I move on. If it's nice, and it suits my mood or whim, I stay. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    And why exactly does that concern you? I mean, seriously, in what way does someone else's "romantic notion" impact you or your hike? I mean, you clearly have a low opinion of what "others" may have inferred from their own experience. So please, don't try to claim that there's anything selfless or altruistic about your initial post. It won't wash.

It's not like we're arguing about the best stove or sleeping bag or pack or tent. It's not a decision you need to make before your hike. Every hiker can decide for his or her self whether or not he or she wants to stay at a given shelter. Speaking personally -- it's often a choice that I don't make until I get there and look it over. If it's ugly, or if I don't care for the folks gathered there, or if I'd rather have the privacy of my tent that night, I move on. If it's nice, and it suits my mood or whim, I stay. Simple!
    The first time I walked on the AT I was 13 and on my second night I stayed at Garfield hut and did Franconia Ridge the next day. Staying at that hut, meeting thru hikers made me want to hike the AT. If it wasn't for a bail out 7 years ago, it would have happened already. But it's still a life long goal, mainly because of the impression that a shelter made on me.

Thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I was a kid, a little house for anyone to use in the middle of the woods. THERES MICE, IT"S DIRTY, YOU CAN GET WET, THE GROUND IS HARD,

Remind me, how does this differ from any other part of the forest.

Compared to a shelter floor, the forest floor is soft.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++