WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 3 or 4 Day Smokies Trip Recommendation

I'm taking a friend of mine to the Smokies the weekend of Oct 11th. He's never been backpacking before, but is a not that out of shape 22 yr old college student like me.

I'm looking for a 3 or 4 day trip, preferably a loop. I'm guessing no more than 10 miles per day give or take a few.

I've been to Mt. Sterling a couple of times so I may do that area again...but I'm also looking for something new for myself.

I want to show him a good time and maybe get a future hiking partner out of it so what trails would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

MTS

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

mt leconte is nice
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Balsam Mt. area (loop) - Pin Oak Gap to Laural Gap shelter, Balsam mt. trail to Gunters Fork to Camel Gap over to AT to Cosby Knob shelter, Cosby knob shelter to Tricorner Knob shelter, back to Pin Oak Gap via Balsam mt. trail. Total of about 32 miles. Im doing this in 3 night/4 days.

Images

I haven't really found an unpleasant trail in the Smokies yet.

The Mount Cammerer fire tower is really nice.

Walnut Bottoms (campsite 37) is a great place to camp, right there next to the creek. It's just a short walk from the parking at Big Creek, for an easy first or last day, to allow time for driving.

Down at the Fontana end of the park, the Eagle Creek Trail is kind of fun because you have to wade the stream over and over again. Definitely bring sandals or Crocs if you hike that trail.

If you go in at the middle of the park, you could work Clingman's Dome into the hike.

Too many choices!
    Last edited by Marta; 09-30-2008 at 18:09.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by drumbeat View Post
    Balsam Mt. area (loop) - Pin Oak Gap to Laural Gap shelter, Balsam mt. trail to Gunters Fork to Camel Gap over to AT to Cosby Knob shelter, Cosby knob shelter to Tricorner Knob shelter, back to Pin Oak Gap via Balsam mt. trail. Total of about 32 miles. Im doing this in 3 night/4 days.
    That sounds like a winner.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

This sounds like a good idea. I might not do this exactly, but that's definitly a good loop.

I was thinking of going up to Mt. Sterling, then down Gunters Fork to #37. Then up low gap to the AT and down Chessnut Branch trail to the car.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

that is a good one and the maples should be showing good color in that area during the time period
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

I hiked from Smokemont to Pecks Corner on the AT via Chasteen Creek Tr & Hughes Ridge Tr, North to Tricorner Knob, the Balsam Mtn Tr to Laurel Gap, then West on the BMT to BC campsite 47, next day on Enloe Creek Tr & Chasteen back to Smokemont.

It's a nice hike with ridge walking, creeks, forest, & green tunnels. I hardly passed a soul except near the shelters. BC 47 is second to none in GSMNP.

IIRC, it's about 40-41 miles.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

not a loop but you could always leave your car at Standing Bear Farm, catch a shuttle to Newfound Gap and hike back to it on the AT. that way it will be "all down hill" for you.

Images

Mt. Cammerer is great...it has a 360 lookout hut with awesome views...better than most...i did the Little Big Creek trail and that was lovely too....

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    mt leconte is nice
    Best trail in the park in my opinion. Also, the Road to Nowhere up Jonas and Hazel Creek are good one. Stop by campsite 90 on Lakeshore, great spot!!!

Is hunting allowed in the Smokies?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier ben View Post
    Is hunting allowed in the Smokies?
    that would be a bozo no-no

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that would be a bozo no-no
    The Wolf has a way with words
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I didnt want to hunt, I wanted to hike.

Images

Because hunting isn't allowed in National Parks, the GSMNP is a great place to hike during hunting season.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++